$.27 NLHE MTT: Is 20 BBs too short a stack to do this instead of jamming?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to try to get some value with my aces. It was fairly late in the tourney, down to 40 some players remaining from the starting 810. I believed first villain was opening somewhat wide to try to win blinds and antes. Calling villain I figured had a better range. With only 20 BBs to start the hand should I just be jamming this and hope for a call since any decent sized raise (mine was even too small but didnt want it to be too large a % of my stack) will look like it is committing me anyway and may deter calls? ( I know, 27 cent tourney where maybe no one is folding but this deep should be some of the better players in the tournament)

In my mind I think I did the right thing and took a risk to get value but wanted to see what you all thought especially considering I am about 20 bigs to start the hand.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/2q1rbhFV

E

Endwarfin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played folds to cutoff who Opens for 2BB into a 2.5BB pot
BTN calls making the pot 6.5 BB
Hero Raises to 7.5 BB from the small blind with AA making the pot 14 BB
Cutoff calls for 5.5 BB making the pot 19.5 BB
Hero is the effective stack with 12.5 BB
6c3h8h Board

------------------------------------------------------

IMO opinion you put yourself in the best possible spot to double up.
Cutoff was a monster stack and probably should have folded pre - but your smaller 3bet size with the plan to donk shove all boards is honestly fine.

I would also think this late in the tourney he wouldn't be calling a small blind 3bet with that hand, I think this play would work against soooo much of his range, and IDK if you 3bet bigger that he would be calling pre.

I like the play, I think you're doubling up sooooooooooooooo often here, no shame.

When villains range is tighter, you probably also get called by kings queens jacks and flush draws

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
i think jamming is best because you don't want to play 4 way post flop with your AA

i think this is too greedy on your part, there is already a decent size in the pot if you jam and all folded less variance for you

E

Endwarfin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think jamming is best because you don't want to play 4 way post flop with your AA

i think this is too greedy on your part, there is already a decent size in the pot if you jam and all folded less variance for you

So you are advocating a bigger raise, to tighten ranges?
Hero starts the pot with less than 30 BB.

When I have 30 BB and i get dealt AA - I want to get stacks in.
Simply over raising doesnt help me get weaker hands in.

Also its a raise into 3 people. Clearly not just calling to play a 4 way pot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I just jam preflop. Its the chip leader opening, and its a very low buyin, so he is going to make some bad calls for sure. And even if you dont get action, you still increase your stack more than 25%, which is certainly not a bad outcome. But that being said I dont think, your line is bad. It might be somewhat obvious, that you have a big hand and really want action, but again its a very low buyin, so you will still get plenty of action, as in fact you did. It was just an unlucky outcome, which is, what it is :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to try to get some value with my aces. It was fairly late in the tourney, down to 40 some players remaining from the starting 810. I believed first villain was opening somewhat wide to try to win blinds and antes. Calling villain I figured had a better range. With only 20 BBs to start the hand should I just be jamming this and hope for a call since any decent sized raise (mine was even too small but didnt want it to be too large a % of my stack) will look like it is committing me anyway and may deter calls? ( I know, 27 cent tourney where maybe no one is folding but this deep should be some of the better players in the tournament)

In my mind I think I did the right thing and took a risk to get value but wanted to see what you all thought especially considering I am about 20 bigs to start the hand.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/2q1rbhFV

Thank you for posting

Stopped replay preflop before you raised.

Meta game thinking is key here.
The third player makes this a great squeeze spot and does not scream AA only at all.

Stack sizes the Opn raiser has an easy call with 4x your stack and the OvrCall V has a perfect screw it call double up stack size if the Opn folds.

Going 3 way vs typical V at this buy-in level sucks and a raise only causes that way to often.

Typical V can also play fit or fold post flop so we take a lot of risk for only a little extra juice.

If we win right now we have a 26bb stack and a skill advantage also a very good result with no risk. We get the btn the very next hand as well with a short stack in the big blind and medium stack in the SB folding a wide range because of possible BB shove.

I am shoving 100% based on the meta game factors.

replayer stopped on your sizing

This sizing looks like you are pot committed. You said you were afraid a skilled player would play well vs the shove but then you made this bet size. I do not know for sure but i doubt very many players playing online in your games 3 bet fold preflop or not shove on the flop at this size so a skilled player will assume you just shoved but want to get called.

Ok the odds you give the big stack to draw on the flop would be 2.5 to 1 so they need only 28% equity on the flop to make the call correct.
Most of the calls we will get on the flop when we shove will be very close to that equity.

Played the rest of the hand big stack played fit or fold preflop.

You gave them 4.77-1 odds on a fit or fold they only needed 17% equity they had 21.66% with their perfect AA cracker hand.
No way to say they would fold it preflop but we max EV them by shoving preflop.
Bad luck:puke:

Hope this helps
:):)

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
20bbs is stil enough to do a 3-bet just your sizing is a bit large.
You should of made it 30-35k and put it all in on any flop.