25NL MTT Too aggressive?

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The nightly 25NL + $100 MTT. Just before first break, I put the villian on a high pair... JJ, QQ, or maybe even KK before I called. I had just run off a few good hands and was feeling a bit lucky.

Wrong to call the shove at this point?

poker stars, $0.25 Buy-in (75/150 blinds) NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

SB: 2,895 (19.3 bb)
Hero (BB): 10,795 (72 bb)
UTG: 1,150 (7.7 bb)
UTG+1: 4,220 (28.1 bb)
MP1: 2,921 (19.5 bb)
MP2: 1,115 (7.4 bb)
MP3: 7,860 (52.4 bb)
CO: 2,437 (16.2 bb)
BTN: 7,122 (47.5 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BB with 7
diamond.gif
diamond.gif

UTG calls 150, UTG+1 calls 150, 3 folds, CO raises to 300, 2 folds, Hero calls 150, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls 150

Flop: (1,125) 4
diamond.gif
diamond.gif
club.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets 300, UTG+1 folds, CO raises to 2,137 and is all-in, Hero calls 1,837

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you put him in a big pair and your read on him is that he'll prolly not fold when small cards come then just chk CALL. this way you give him a chance to make a mistake.....in fact it gives you a little more bluffing outs on the turn.

no reason to bet there, in fact you lost the utg1 by leading out (odds you lost)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2nd pair with a middlin FD, don't donk bet into the original raiser. You are a 51-49 flip to the hand range you put villain on. Let villain make a mistake in their bet size or let UTG+1 make a mistake and give you better odds to draw.

M

mpbmoney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually like your play there. You had good pot odds (4-1) to call preflop with suited connectors. Then you bet out small to a three-way pot to see where you were at. When the CO went all in, you made a good read to put him on a high pair. With 4 to a flush, 3 to a straight, and a pair, making this call isn't a bad play. You have lots of outs, and if you don't hit you're still table captain with around $9000.

Y

Yeti

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The raise after the flop... Not a brilliant one. You are actually encouraging a shove. Without the reraise preflop it'd have been fine to semi-bluff there, but in this case I argue against it. First you are preventing future bets from UTG+1 - not a good thing to do if you do pick up the flush. Secondly as mentioned previously you're encouraging a shove. If you'd have checked they may have bet less giving you a cheaper look at the turn. This will allow you to again reevaluate where you are.

Anyhow, presuming the Villian does indeed have JJ-KK you're getting the right odds to call in comparison to your stack size. Don't win that draw? Nevermind, win another one knock someone out and get your chips back.

Raise post-flop - bad. Calling the shove - good.

J

JoeDi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Middle pair and the flush draw i think you made the right call.. He may have an over pair but may just be pushing with AK or AQ... Given the amount of outs to an over pair and your limited pot exposure i would definitely call..

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why did you bet such a small amount? bet bigger and call a shove

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why did you bet such a small amount? bet bigger and call a shove

It wouldn't have mattered.

Turn was a 7c giving me 2pair.
River was a King giving him trips.

Oh well.

Benjammn

Benjammn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't have called that, but that's just because I'm tight. It was pretty much a coin flip and with his short stack, you probably should have anticipated a shove if the flop came out good for him (since he did have overpair to the board).

VerbalKint

VerbalKint

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
There`s alot of playing left in this tourney yet. I`d would check and let him bet to see if he shoves, maybe you see the turn a little cheaper. In MTT with that kind of lead I`d rather slow it down and pick my spots more than get in coin flips and watch your string of good luck turn bad. At the very least i`d rather be on the other side of that coin and have them drawing to beat me, the blinds are pushing your opponents not you.