$25 NLHE Deep Stacked: You ever folding this in a bar game?

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$25 NL HE Deep Stacked: You ever folding this in a bar game?

Quick ? for you guys. Just played a $25 bounty game at a bar around the corner. Deep stack game. Third hand. UTG+1 raises to 600. I got AA.pop it to 1800. He flats. Flop j108. He checks i make it 3000. He flats again. Ace on turn. He checks I make it 10,000. He shoves. I snap and hes got KQ off and I cant boat on river. Curious to know. Is anyone really folding this in a bar game. Iam not upset about it. I got outplayed. Its not the first time its happened. Just is anyone gonna put him on the str8 here and are we gonna fold with more than half our chips in the pot?

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sigh. Threw a situational play on here that happened to me tonight at a local game, which I normally dont do. Why is the only one response NO? This is a card forum.

Firstly, Iam not a tournament noob.

Secondly, why arent folks asking why I did what I did. Pot control early in MTT's is key. I'am deepstacked. The villian gave me every opportunity to get away cheap from the hand.

Why Iam stacking against any random hand. I could be up against a set, a made hand like q9 on the flop early in the game against a donk. He check called me post flop and the turn only makes my hand halfway against a flopped joint.

I was hoping someone would snap me back to reality before I figured it out.

Yes in cash games we wanna extract value every hand, but in tourneys I think I reminded myself tonight, that pot size control is key, and sometimes paying more attention to the situation rather than "getting it in with AA" in any one spot is something worth paying attention to.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sigh. Threw a situational play on here that happened to me tonight at a local game, which I normally dont do. Why is the only one response NO? This is a card forum.

Sorry but since you included the results and no reads whatsoever on the opponents, this is just a bad beat story to me. Any comments I could make about the hand are grossly tainted by knowing the results.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No stack sizes either to be going on. Generally especially in a bar game when we are looking at ranges, we include top pair, and 2 pair type hands, and tbh they show up with a much greater frequency than sets, (which you beat by the turn as well), so you are looking beating most of his range. Looks like a decent stackoff tbh.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but since you included the results and no reads whatsoever on the opponents, this is just a bad beat story to me. Any comments I could make about the hand are grossly tainted by knowing the results.

Firstly, Its not a bad beat story. Its 25 bucks. No big deal. Secondly Iam not gonna have any reads on the guy. Its the third hand which I stated.

Probably shouldnt have put in the results which your correct about. When I lost the hand I didnt really care as it was no big deal. I thought I played it right. But when I came home and thought about it, I thought there was some things I could have done differently which is why I posted it. I didnt post it right. My apologies. Overall I just think I might have wanted to keep the pot smaller just because its only the third hand and I dont know what his check calling range is on the flop. And imo he gave me a opportunity to get away cheap which is the route I should have taken. Just wanted to basically see if anyone agreed with my line of thinking in this particular situation.

Also. It was only a 3 Table game, Starting Stack was 33,000 chips and blinds started at 100/200

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, Its not a bad beat story.

It is a bad beat story.

You had top set and lost to a straight.

You beat all overpairs to the board, you beat all 2 pairs you beat all lower sets, you were also way ahead of all drawing / pair and a draw hands.

That is a bad beat.

Your description constitutes a story (its certainly not a hand history is it?) so this is a bad beat story!

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol. Now I remember why I stay out of these sections of the forum. I dont know what Iam doing here when I post.

So...If I wanted to ask (which I thought I was doing) if I can do anything differently in this hand how would I post it? And no comments yet as to if I should have kept the pot smaller, because its so early on in the game. Thoughts?

I understand what your saying Stu. But I didnt mean to post it as a bad beat story.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol. Now I remember why I stay out of these sections of the forum. I dont know what Iam doing here when I post.

So...If I wanted to ask (which I thought I was doing) if I can do anything differently in this hand how would I post it? And no comments yet as to if I should have kept the pot smaller, because its so early on in the game. Thoughts?

I understand what your saying Stu. But I didnt mean to post it as a bad beat story.

You cant do anthing much different. You cant put in half your stack and then fold.

If the flop were different and you held say JJ and the flop were J 8 7 then you might be able to get away from it as hands like J 7 A7 and A8 are somewhat less likely preflop thus reducing the 2pair hands that you beat.

But when that A hits who isnt stacking off with AJ or AT?

Who isnt getting the money in with a lesser set?

KQ is an obvious hand that beats you but AJ AT JJ TT 88 and even AK and AQ might be semi bluffing here so you cant really fold.

It is just a bad beat.

Besides you did still have 10 live outs on the turn to top FH!

workinonit

workinonit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah cos you kinda answered your own question

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must admit. This has to be one of the dumbest threads I ever started. Iam a donkey. Sorry.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quick ? for you guys. Just played a $25 bounty game at a bar around the corner. Deep stack game. Third hand. UTG+1 raises to 600. I got AA.pop it to 1800. He flats. Flop j108. He checks i make it 3000. He flats again. Ace on turn. He checks I make it 10,000. He shoves. I snap and hes got KQ off and I cant boat on river. Curious to know. Is anyone really folding this in a bar game. Iam not upset about it. I got outplayed. Its not the first time its happened. Just is anyone gonna put him on the str8 here and are we gonna fold with more than half our chips in the pot?

PC69, theres nothing to pout about upon accepting this bad beat pot. You unfortunately turned a set & ran into the nuts at the same time. The moment he shoved all in, yes it's safe to presume he hit Broadway. Am I happy discussing this with you, by all means No. One learns to accept losing monster hands & the reverse is likewise. Remember, there's always another hand to be played, the question is: Are you in it?

Top 10 Games Folding in Poker