$235 NLHE: $235 NLHE: Alternate Lines for Final Table Hand as chip leader, 2nd pr w/ flush draw

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$235 NL HE: $235 NL HE: Alternate Lines for Final Table Hand as chip leader, 2nd pr w/ flush draw

Hey guys, I was just mentally revisiting my final table hand and I know I ended up playing this one wrong. It's been a long time since I've played this hand, but I'll set it up for you the best I can. I know my line wasn't optimal but I want to have a few options for the next time this one comes up.

Scene - Final Table of a 643 person tournament. We're deep in the money, and there are only two stacks worth mentioning other than our own. Two others are short stacks on their way out, one mid stack who isn't playing many hands, and villain. Let's put blinds at roughly 20/40k with 10k antes.
Hero - We are the chip leader. We have been playing relatively tight, but are stealing the blinds in position a bit too often. Suppose we have 2.8 million in chips here.
Villain - We don't have any good reads on him. He doesn't take a lot of hands to showdown, and is usually playing fit or fold. He has called a few preflop raises reluctantly, and generally check/folds any aggression on later streets when he doesn't have a hand. His stack is approximately 2.2 mil.
Smallblind - he doesn't matter. His stack is puny and he doesn't come along.

We are on the button, villain is the BB.
Folded to hero, hero has 5d7d, hero raises to (value A). SB Folds, Villain calls.
I'll level with you, I was raising too much for this stage in the game on a steal attempt. I believe in this example I raised to about 120k, but 100k or even 80k would have been enough for a steal attempt, perhaps.

The flop is 8d5c2d.
Villain checks. Hero (performs action B). Villain calls.
I ended up betting here, but not a lot. Despite my tremendous amount of equity, I should have bet more. But again, not a lot of experience at a final table in a serious tournament (well, none actually). I would be happy if villain folds here, but if he calls and I improve, that's awesome, too.

The turn is 4s.
Villain checks. Hero (performs action C). Villain calls.
I bet here again, but nowhere near enough. I pick up a gutshot straight draw, increasing my percieved outs to a whopping seventeen.

The river is a brick.
Villain checks. Hero (performs action D).

Do we try to close out the pot with another barrel? We're already deep in the pot here, and is the pot size going to be too big for villain to get away from?

Again, this is for optimizing our line. I'm sure stakes don't really matter, but in this example the payout was already at ~$4k and change, and getting a lot bigger with every knockout.

Please help me, what are ideal actions/amounts for A, B, C, and D?:confused:

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That line looks OK to me with a check on the river although it seems like villain is calling down work some kind of mid pair or draw and is coming along because youre giving him good odds(you said you were betting to small?) I bet you could've taken it down on the turn if you bet harder. You have pretty good equity here, don't be afraid to semi bluff

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea. I was betting about 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot each street, with a check behind on the river. I guess I bet it too timidly, but I really expected to improve...

Full Flush Poker Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands