$225 NLHE MTT: TPTK OOP in a 5 way pot. How should I play the flop?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a $225 Live NLHE Shootout. We started with 10,000 chips and 10 players. I have to win my table to move on to the next round. There are still 10 people left, this is the first round and we are maybe 20 hands into the tourney. Everybody basically has 10,000 give or take 1,000.

Blinds are 50/100 no antes

I am UTG+1 and I have :as4::qs4: so I raise to 250

UTG+2 nitty old man flats

MP1 LAG flats

HJ LAG flats

CO, Button and SB all fold.

BB is an excellent player one of the region's most consistent winners. He flats. 5 players to a flop, pot contains 1,300

flop comes :qd4::7s4::5d4:

BB checks. Action is on me. What should I do? Should I Cbet and for how much? Should I check raise? Should I check/call?

S

SnowedIn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't like a check/raise as you're basically representing a set and turning your hand into a bluff I think?

So i think bet to charge draws & value from worse queens, only really behind to sets now, doubt many Q7,Q5,57's are calling pre.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think check call is probably going to be your best play. Head to the turn trying to dodge any diamonds. I've always heard you shouldn't go for value on every street with top pair and in a 5way pot it's probably best to let the board develop and see what it costs to continue. You can bet/raise later after you see the turn. A spade would be great...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bet 700, 900, 1,000?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well it's pretty draw heavy, so around 3/4 pot seems fine.

Sorry for the lack of an answer, it just seems like an easy value bet/protection spot to me even 5 way. Just have to be a little careful to really strong all in moves on later streets and be ready to fold this hand on the turn/river if faced with a really strong move.

checking flop has absolutely no merit in my mind, if you want to let people suck out on your for free when you have near the top of your range then go for it, but don't advise others to make awful moves plz...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't advise anyone to check. I'm just asking opinions. I ended up betting 1,000 cuz I wanted to charge the draws a little bit more since there were so many players it seemed likely somebody would want to chase. Anways they all folded and I wondered if I messed up my bet sizing.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya atlanta advised checking above ^^ should have quoted him i can see how it looks now :D

but yeah, think betting is the only way, 1k seems fine, i'd probably bet 9xx in game, but that's just personal preference.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would personally prefer between ~t3/4 pot- up to ~t4/5 pot bet!

But interesting question would be, which kind of range could possible that old nitty man flat in that position vs tight (adjective :)) girl who is sitting next to him?

And BB is excellent, good read :D I would say BB possibly have any 2 cards, since he gets horrendous odds for calling anything!

Last edited:
Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although this is way above my limit, I would put in a substantial raise round about 1500.
My reasoning, First you are UTG (worst seat at the table) and open with a raise of 250. OK you get 4 callers but after the flop you hold top pair with top kicker.
There is a possible straight/inside straigh out there as well as a flush draw. By over betting you are telling everyone in the hand you have a good strong hand making it a lot tougher for a draw chaser and it also tells you where you stand in the hand. You have a 10k chip stack so even if you loose the hand you still have a big stack at which to continue with.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3/4 of the pot sounds right to me. Checking is definitely not an option on this flop.