$225 NLHE MTT: Over Pair facing check raise on flop

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I only read to the flop reveal and I hate ur hand now. Lol. I'll go back n see what happens next but I'm prolly never investing another chip here n playing it like a p***y 100% of the time. The only good things are u have and over pair n position on 66% of the field, but holy coordinated board Batman.... Also u have a billion BBs, u can find a ton of higher value/knowing where ur at spots.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How deep was the check raiser btw?

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your insights.

I did fold the turn and instantly thought to myself: Why did I even call the check raise on the flop?

Which is why I posted this hand...knew I didn't play it optimally but was wondering what others thought.

What about the fact that he had check raised the flop 3 times in recent history? Does that change anything?

For me no... Seems like ur trying to be a hero n pick him off. Why guess when ur doing well in the tourney? I think I've said this in a previous hand from u, but why not wait n catch him w his hand in the cookie jar when u hit it hard? Yes... U absolutely COULD be ahead here... But damn SO MANY variables n if u lose a hand like this (again depending how deep he is, but even if it's half ur stack....) then it can instantly ruin ur tournament n make u hate ur decision making. N that's counting both the times he's way ahead of u and the times he draws out on u.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does everyone seem to agree that u should be c betting here a lot? I don't see the shame in check calling if necessary n reevaluating or checking down/check folding depending on what unfolds. Pot control on a dangerous board that we are basically completely lost on?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does everyone seem to agree that u should be c betting here a lot? I don't see the shame in check calling if necessary n reevaluating or checking down/check folding depending on what unfolds. Pot control on a dangerous board that we are basically completely lost on?

Its a good question. I don't really know. It's one of those spots where you're picking the least bad option. At the time I felt Cbetting was my least bad choice. I wanted to either take it down or get heads up and then re-evaluate. I was definitely planning to pot control the rest of the hand and either fold or get to showdown as cheaply as possible. Which is why I should have just folded to the check raise.

But you bring up a good point, maybe checking behind is the least bad option. Then my hand is underrepped and I can justify calling 1 street. The problem is nearly half the deck is a bad turn card in a multiway pot. Even a Q wouldn't be a lock. I honestly don't know the best way to play this hand which is why I posted it.