$22 NLHE MTT: Pub Tournament live T9s

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay Sorry this was live so i'll have to try and remember as much as I can.

Blinds were 2k 4k

UTG had 85k
MP had 40k
CO (me) had 75k

Alright we all limp in and everyone else folds... I have T9s clubs

Flop comes out Jc Th 3c

UTG raises 22k
MP folds
I call

Turn comes out 4s

He raises 22k again
I call.

river comes 2h
Villain checks.
I shove remainder chipstack I think mustve been 35k roughly.

Opinions so far??? I don't have read on villain though he was an unknown.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What range are you putting him on throughout the hand?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in river better pot control and check, because villain can check with top pair what to give you a chance bluffing with your busted draw....

I know , we can lose here vs second pair with good kicker , but it makes sense what villain check in river with top pair when busted draw...

Also there is a scenario what villain check with busted draw and on your shove he only fold , so better check in river , we have showdown value...

So here better check in river...

3bet in flop no sense, it very risk , because villain bet vs 2 player.... And with your size stack , it already means all in , we have good pot odds if villain shove on our 3bet...

Fold in flop , this is an option, but here its very nit game....

Without any information from you, nothing more to say about this hand...

Last edited:
Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is exactly like the AA hand we were talking about w/MJ.

Take the free showdown. We're only getting called by a worse hand but we have lots of showdown value here. Remember we want each action to have intention and purpose. What is the purpose of shoving. Do we think we will get a J or over pair to fold? Not likely. Will an under pair call our shove. No. The only possible better hand that might fold is a bigger T. But I think in an effort to preserve our stack we should check and hope to hold up.

22k seems like a very large bet on the flop compared to the pot. Do you have any read on an oversize bet from this player? Then he makes a small bet on the turn? That's a really strange line.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll refrain from comment about your preflop limp (clears throat while eyeballing you). ;)

Flop: ok the pot is 16,000 and he bets 22,000? Weird. In a limped pot? Can't put him on an overpair...even AJ seems strange. I'm thinking JT here...or a weird bluff...or a stupid player...

So on this flop you have A LOT of equity vs 1 pair hands. I think you should fold or shove on this flop. Calling 22k off a stack of 71k is too much of your stack to just miss your draw and fold.

Because my gut tells me he has JT folding is probably best

However... That's probably not what I would do. I'd probably jam. It's my style to play my big draws and my monsters really fast on the flop. It's probably a leak in my game; but I almost always jam this flop

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He actually snap calls and shows J9.... I mean seriously snap calls!

Like you said he's either an alright player or a stupid player.... I don't know but i'll remember the face for next time and expect he'll pay me off next time. Good info for future though because I have seen him once before but not played him.

Yes I felt I should've shoved

How much should I have preflopped raised? 12k? Think a preflop jam would've been a good spot.. i'm still learning these lil bluff sneeky moves... I only had changed tables as well, I guess I should've been more textbook til I warmed to the table. My table image to strangers is that i'm a sucker/fish but I get huge respect from the decent players. I let the hand get the better of me and failed every street :) so he was right I was the fish but I hoped he'd fold.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll refrain from comment about your preflop limp (clears throat while eyeballing you). ;)

Flop: ok the pot is 16,000 and he bets 22,000? Weird. In a limped pot? Can't put him on an overpair...even AJ seems strange. I'm thinking JT here...or a weird bluff...or a stupid player...

So on this flop you have A LOT of equity vs 1 pair hands. I think you should fold or shove on this flop. Calling 22k off a stack of 71k is too much of your stack to just miss your draw and fold.

Because my gut tells me he has JT folding is probably best

However... That's probably not what I would do. I'd probably jam. It's my style to play my big draws and my monsters really fast on the flop. It's probably a leak in my game; but I almost always jam this flop

Because we had a pair on the flop with a flush draw we were certainly favourite I recon... probably 56% im only guessing but we still had an edge.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
42% for me and 54% for him how is this correct... that's using the poker calculator on a site.

I swore it should be other way around.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the line I took I should've gave up on the turn ...

But really I should've raised preflop and jammed flop.

By the end of the hand... I felt this guy fell inlove with top pair good kicker lol I don't know he might've put me on the exact hand I had... Anyways the same player don't normally get me twice and I exploit them next time... Next time i'll wake up with a bigger hand and í'll know he'll pay me off.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in river better pot control and check, because villain can check with top pair what to give you a chance bluffing with your busted draw....

I know , we can lose here vs second pair with good kicker , but it makes sense what villain check in river with top pair when busted draw...

Also there is a scenario what villain check with busted draw and on your shove he only fold , so better check in river , we have showdown value...

So here better check in river...

3bet in flop no sense, it very risk , because villain bet vs 2 player.... And with your size stack , it already means all in , we have good pot odds if villain shove on our 3bet...

Fold in flop , this is an option, but here its very nit game....

Without any information from you, nothing more to say about this hand...

Hmm true but at least we'd have the right odds to jam preflop and a hand that could holdup... takes a bit of balls haha

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over my own review I felt I shouldn't have done such a move against an unknown.... and a bluff shove on the river with busted draws/straight just won't work...

dry board would've possibly been a better choice. though I didn't really have a scary amount to jam and he was already priced in to call anything with his top pair.

So was suicide woot.... I felt sick.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's a lot of different ways to play this hand.

preflop: If you think the blinds are the type to check their option and let limpers see a flop; then I guess limping in position isn't terrible. Your hand is playable and with 2 limpers you are getting great odds and one limper is UTG and has you covered, UTG limpers are the most dangerous limpers. If these players are fairly sticky/straightforward, then limping along is probably +EV.

If you elect to raise you'll need to make it about 14,000-18,000 which is a big chunk of your stack. If I have a good image, and I think these players are just limping with marginal hands then this is the play I'll make. If these are the super "limp cally" type then you know the old saying "never bluff a calling station" so just limp along or fold.

Flop If you've preflop raised, then you jam this flop 100% of the time. Whether he bets into you or checks to you. You are now beating KQ, A8 type hands and have a lot of equity vs. overpairs.

If you've limped along then you must realize his 22k bet practically pot commits you. Either jam or fold...I have a hard time folding my OK hand, good draw here.

I know you ran the numbers and you're "only" 42-44% vs his actual hand (depending on if he has a club or not) but let's not forget Fold Equity and not to mention J9 is the most unfortunate1 pair hand you could be facing. It's better if he has JQ, JK, AJ as your 9s are additional outs. So, the likelihood of him holding J9 is the worst because you hold a blocker, and the likelihood of him folding J9 to your flop shove is better than the likelihood of him folding KJ, but your equity in the hand against KJ is actually better...so it's basically a wash no matter which jack you are facing and pushing this flop is quite +EV due to fold equity against any 1 pair hand.

Hope that all made sense

Last edited:
Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes missjacki perfect sense and I thank you a lot.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
42% for me and 54% for him how is this correct... that's using the poker calculator on a site.

I swore it should be other way around.

hero had 9 cards for flush and 2 other tens meaning 11 cards and two streets to go (no considering any ohter factor like another J or a straight so possible tie too), so indeed hero is slightly under because the highest pair is on villain´s side (less than 11/45 +11/44)

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope I play him again in the future and see if my sense about him overvalueing his top pair is right :) ... I can stack off from this guy next time or even trap him.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hero had 9 cards for flush and 2 other tens meaning 11 cards and two streets to go (no considering any ohter factor like another J or a straight so possible tie too), so indeed hero is slightly under because the highest pair is on villain´s side (less than 11/45 +11/44)

That's only because he holds exactly J9

If he has KQ,KJ,AJ or J8 or worse. we have 14 outs and we are actually a slight favorite.

The worst hand we can be facing here is a set (we have 33.3% equity)
2nd worst hand is JT (36.7% equity)
worst 1 pair hand is J9 (43.9% equity)

Notice if he has a bigger flush draw with 1 over you're way ahead with 58.5% because of your pair, and your blockers to his draw.

when you weigh those 3 possibilities against all the other hands in his range, (AJ,KJ,QJ,J8,AT, KT, other draws) and add in Fold Equity pushing is the superior play.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pssst missjacki u didn't mention a preflop shove (steal)

Also 2 pair heh but thanks for putting a bit of time into this because i'm soaking all this in and will be better prepared for next time round :)

though most likely different type of opponent different stack sizes...

I also didn't consider that I should've prolly either shoved or folded because we don't have the correct implied odds to making a flush since we are under 20 buyins? that's another factor i forgot about at the time tbh

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ohhh 2 pair is like 36% hah but trip JJs is like 31%

But if it was an A trips it would be down to 28%...

so even facing JJJ against AAA makes a 3% difference.

So we all hope to not see hands like J9 JT in this spot.. but pro's would be like thinking about the lower to higher trips as well ... crazy stuff I could spend hrs analysing.

Organize a Home Poker Game