$.22 NLHE MTT: Did I play this right or get lucky?

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was in the start of the satellite.. 20% get the ticket to the tournament in FTP. Villain had raised half the pots he played and he played 5 of the 8 hands we had played...

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (8 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Hero (Button) (t1,440)
SB (t1,670)
BB (t3,120)
UTG (t1,410)
UTG+1 (t1,500)
MP1 (t1,860)
MP2 (t1,300)
CO (t1,560)

Hero's M: 32.00

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7
heart.gif
, A
heart.gif

3 folds, MP2 raises to t150, 1 fold, Hero calls t150, 2 folds

Flop: (t345) 9
spade.gif
, 10
spade.gif
, 8
spade.gif
(2 players)
MP2 bets t345, Hero calls t345

Turn: (t1,035) 6
heart.gif
(2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero bets t300, MP2 calls t300

River: (t1,635) K
spade.gif
(2 players)
MP2 bets t505 (All-In), Hero calls t505

Total pot: t2,645

Results below:
Hero had 7
heart.gif
, A
heart.gif
(straight, ten high).
MP2 had 10
diamond.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
(one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero won t2,645

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very lucky, in preflop easy fold, U have 50 bb, A7s marginal hand and you many times lose with bad kicker, if get A in board...
Well, u call, in flop easy fold, u not have odds what calling, many cards beat u in turn..
When u call in flop, in turn need pot controll check, and river fold when closed flush for villain..

How u can see, better preflop fold this hand, than to make difficult decision at all street , because it is a marginal hand and it's hard to play.

Last edited:
B

benshouse99

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with horizon, you got very lucky.

A7 suited not strong enough to flat pre. Unless board comes out with lots of hearts, you're in trouble. Even if an Ace hits, you still won't know if you're good as villain could easily have you dominated with a better Ace. Either raise or fold.

Flop is a nightmare and the Turn if anything makes your life worse, as you still don't know if you have the best hand with the flush on. Insta fold, but you shouldnt be at this point in the hand anyway :)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to call pre-, you should already have a plan to out-play the opponent on a fair number of flops. You won't hit the flop hard all that often, so calling to play fit or fold isn't much of a plan, especially against a loose player who is likely to cbet many flops. Since it appears you didn't have a plan, fold pre-.

Since you did call, why did you decide to call his pot bet on the flop? Again, did you have a plan, or were you just hoping to hit your OESD on the turn with him not having a spade redraw?

If you're going to call his shove on what could certainly be a bad river, why didn't you shove the turn?

S

smihailov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely get lucky, not with the cards, but with the opponent you faced with.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the table was playing loose so figures Suited As for good enough... I didn't shove the turn as didn't believe he will call as I was reasonably confidence he didn't have a space!!!.. He rive shove was just hail mary so I called..

I guess this is bad logic out and out.. correct?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the table was playing loose so figures Suited As for good enough... I didn't shove the turn as didn't believe he will call as I was reasonably confidence he didn't have a space!!!.. He rive shove was just hail mary so I called..

I guess this is bad logic out and out.. correct?
Frankly, I think you're trying to justify taking a sub-optimal line based on the result. Go through the hand and at each action, see if you can give him a reasonable range that doesn't dovetail with your assumptions. The easier it is to do so, the more you have to consider that your reads weren't particularly solid even if they turned out to be correct.