slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$22 NL HE: $ : bvb, M is ok but not great

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 25/13/2

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 25/13/2

Way before the money in a 6max MTT. Villain joined the table w over 35K in chips 60 hands ago, has been bleeding.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $400(BB) poker stars
SB ($24,923)
Hero ($13,679)
UTG ($12,151)
UTG+1 ($35,928)
CO ($17,364)
BTN ($7,076)
Dealt to Hero A Q
fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $1,200, Hero raises to $3,500, SB raises to $24,873 (AI), Hero ???

edit - blinds 200/400 ante 50

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the question is, do you call a reraise for your tournament life with AQ? It would go against all conventional poker logic to do so - why would you?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I don't play MTT's much, bear w me, but 3bet/folding here kinda sucks, since it drops my M to 10 in a 6max MTT (i.e., not expecting many great opportunities to come up soon). So, having 3bet, my question is what range to give SB for open/shove. Second question would be whether the 3bet is correct if I'm going to have to fold to a shove.

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like 3betting here simply because he's range of hands there are very wide and 3betting gets rid of his steals. If you fold to his shove you still have an m of around 10 which isn't to bad. I would start worrying when my m was around <7. The range of hands he has when he's shoves. I think that depends on how your playing. I would put him on 55+ AJ+. I would fold the aq an find a better spot

That's how I would play it and I'm sure your a better player then me but I just gave my opinion.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Def shouldn't have any illusions that I'm a good MTT player... :)

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ugh, looks to me like you're committed after putting that much in already. Have borderline pot odds against a range of ~AQ+ 99+, so has to be shoving very tight for this to be a fold. He doesn't look very aggressive but blind vs blind vs a possibly frustrated opponent (after leaking 1/3 stack) it would be hard to put him on a range tighter than that.

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actualy prefer flatting here prf.
His range is gonna be wide from the SB and we get to play IP with a hand that dominates alot of his range. We probably have to float/bluff raise a few flops to make up for all the times we miss the flop but thats when our postional advantage comes in.
And its alot harder for him to fold A7 type hands postflop the pre flop.

As played I think we have to call here. Alot of money in the pot allready against a tilting oponent. Asuming he is jamming alot of pairs and a few AJs type hands we are geting about the odds to take the flip here, hell since he is probably tilting we might even be alot better then a flip against his range.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played, call. Reads beyond the numbers are important but generaly speaking you'd be surprised how many otherwise solid players go temporarily insane in BvB - you definitely don't mid flipping after committing so much of your stack and it's not completely beyond the realms of possibility that you have him dominated, especially if he's tilting a little.

As sindri (can i still call you that? ^^) said I prefer flatting pre though. Yes we will be playing postflop against a wide range which is potentially dangerous, but this is offset by us having position and the fact that we're deep enough for position to still maintain a high relative degree of importance (by which I mean it's obviously important to some degree all the time but the deeper we are the more important it is, clearly, and given that we're deep enough to not be playing shove/fold postflop if we flat pre it's, well, more 'relatively important' than if stacks were shorter and the only postflop options available to us were shoving/folding/calling a shove). 3-betting pre effectively ends the hand pre and screws us out of positional advantage, as a decent SB isn't likely to flat a 3-bet (and even if he does because more money is going in pre our stacks are effectively shorter relative to the pot, we're playing shove/fold postflop, and hence our position is less relatively important). If the scenario is exactly the same but he's opening from the button obviously we 3-bet pre because we don't mind the hand ending one way or another preflop then.

As a caveat, I'm not saying never 3-bet BvB in the BB or anything like that, before anyone starts going loopy on me. All of the above would all be a secondary consideration if there were clear value in 3-betting pre, but in basic and immediate value terms there probably isn't a great swing between calling and 3-betting pre, so you should start looking outside the box a little in these cases, so to speak.

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you can call me that.
And lol at the irony of your user title
/end derail.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a SnG, this seems like an easy fold. But in a top heavy MTT structure against a guy who's been bleeding chips, I'm shippin' this.

Course, I'm bad.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with S and DM on this, though I don't play a lot of tournies or 6 max.

AQs is a pretty hand but unless I think there's a good chance of taking it down with a 3 bet I'd rather not even have the pot bloated if he opts to flat. You're likely ahead of his range but you have position and more flexibility if the pot remains smaller and SPR is smaller by just flatting.

It might be better to 3bet him with stuff like T8s instead where you have some, but much less hand value.