$22 NL HE MTT: How to play set on wet board?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Bounty
Currency
$
Hey forum,

I would like some feedback on this hand, which was the one leaving me crippled in the tourney.

I flop a set on a board with flush and straight draws. What to do now? That's the main question with this hand for me.

On the river, I called the shove because I could also see him shoving with two pair but the resulting straight was not on my mind, lol.

pokerstars, $20 + $2 - Hold'em No Limit - 1,750/3,500 (450 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

Zé Lunar (UTG): 391,702 (112 bb)
Bryhn33 (UTG+1): 78,081 (22 bb)
AndyreasDE (MP): 147,696 (42 bb)

bersay103 (MP+1): 140,914 (40 bb)
feelthesound (CO): 177,637 (51 bb)
Edison82 (BU): 284,823 (81 bb)
GabrielG0 (SB): 174,535 (50 bb)
Socc3rman13 (BB): 202,678 (58 bb)

Pre-Flop: (8,850) Hero (AndyreasDE) is MP with 8 8
1 fold, Bryhn33 (UTG+1) raises to 7,000, AndyreasDE (MP) calls 7,000, 2 players fold, Edison82 (BU) calls 7,000, 2 players fold

Flop: (29,850) T 8 7 (3 players)
Bryhn33 (UTG+1) checks, AndyreasDE (MP) bets 14,925, Edison82 (BU) folds, Bryhn33 (UTG+1) calls 14,925

Turn: (59,700) J (2 players)
Bryhn33 (UTG+1) checks, AndyreasDE (MP) bets 19,701, Bryhn33 (UTG+1) calls 19,701

River: (99,102) A (2 players)
Bryhn33 (UTG+1) bets 36,005 (all-in), AndyreasDE (MP) calls 36,005

Total pot:

Showdown:
Bryhn33 (UTG+1) shows Q K (a straight, Ten to Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 46%, Flop: 7%, Turn: 18%, River: 100%)

AndyreasDE (MP) shows 8 8 (three of a kind, Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 54%, Flop: 93%, Turn: 82%, River: 0%)

Bryhn33 (UTG+1) wins 171,112

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perfect runout to the opponent. With this relatively opened lower flop and two in, I would do a higher raise just under 20K and put them under the stress since we can expect to see shoves or mistakes as well. On turn I shove this combination, cause we are ahead and only a runner combination could catch us.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I think, its fine to just call with 88 here.

Flop
I would also bet when checked to, but I might go a bit larger to set it up for an easy turn shove, if UTG+1 gives action.

Turn
This was not a good card, since there is now a 1-liner to a straight. With just around a pot sized bet left, you cant bet any significant amount without committing yourself to the pot, so I would check back and see, what happen on the river.

River
As played I think, you have to call. You are getting almost 4 to 1, and he might have improved on the A to a hand, you still beat, like maybe two pair with AJ or AT. KQ came in, but he should not have that after calling your flop bet except for KQ of clubs.

Results
Basically the hand is a bad beat story. The opponent made a very loose float out of position with just overcards and backdoor draws and a short stack, and then he hit a perfect runner-runner. However had you checked back the turn, you might have been able to lose less. Or if he jammed for nearly full pot, you could consider folding getting only 2 to 1.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey forum,

I would like some feedback on this hand, which was the one leaving me crippled in the tourney.

I flop a set on a board with flush and straight draws. What to do now? That's the main question with this hand for me.

On the river, I called the shove because I could also see him shoving with two pair but the resulting straight was not on my mind, lol.

PokerStars, $20 + $2 - Hold'em No Limit - 1,750/3,500 (450 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

Zé Lunar (UTG): 391,702 (112 bb)
Bryhn33 (UTG+1): 78,081 (22 bb)
AndyreasDE (MP): 147,696 (42 bb)

bersay103 (MP+1): 140,914 (40 bb)
feelthesound (CO): 177,637 (51 bb)
Edison82 (BU): 284,823 (81 bb)
GabrielG0 (SB): 174,535 (50 bb)
Socc3rman13 (BB): 202,678 (58 bb)

Pre-Flop: (8,850) Hero (AndyreasDE) is MP with 8 8
1 fold, Bryhn33 (UTG+1) raises to 7,000, AndyreasDE (MP) calls 7,000, 2 players fold, Edison82 (BU) calls 7,000, 2 players fold

Flop: (29,850) T 8 7 (3 players)
Bryhn33 (UTG+1) checks, AndyreasDE (MP) bets 14,925, Edison82 (BU) folds, Bryhn33 (UTG+1) calls 14,925

Turn: (59,700) J (2 players)
Bryhn33 (UTG+1) checks, AndyreasDE (MP) bets 19,701, Bryhn33 (UTG+1) calls 19,701

River: (99,102) A (2 players)
Bryhn33 (UTG+1) bets 36,005 (all-in), AndyreasDE (MP) calls 36,005

Total pot:

Showdown:
Bryhn33 (UTG+1) shows Q K (a straight, Ten to Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 46%, Flop: 7%, Turn: 18%, River: 100%)

AndyreasDE (MP) shows 8 8 (three of a kind, Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 54%, Flop: 93%, Turn: 82%, River: 0%)

Bryhn33 (UTG+1) wins 171,112
Watching replayer wthout seeing results or your thoughts

pre flop call is fine-----flop we are ahead of most of the UTG range they have the nuts but only 4 combos-the BTN too can have the nuts so we want to define any aggression by either player- we do have outs to crack the nuts -
TT is possible as well in both spots------2 pair is less likely-our blockers
UTG is going to have a lot of flush draws here and be expecting flush draws by other V so if the UTG bets we play this fast as they have 2.3 SPR on flop-slow playing is not a thing in this spot
If UTG checks we bet this board for a larger sizing- u bet half pot that is fine- BTN folds-action is on the UTG
Here we are asking our selves before it happens what is UTG XR? Nuts? Why? AA Why not lead? Nut flush draw-no lead? Do they expect us to be folding anything we lead?
We want to remember that there were 3 players in this spot that changes our leading ranges-
UTG calls- J turn puke

Ok so we want to dive deep here- Why would UTG check JJ flop? Why would they check 99? Why would they check J9 on the flop? All those hands possible vs weak passive players
Q9 K9 is possible here
SPR is 1 if we shove the V can fold all their draws AJo/spades should fold-the nuts should not XR they should have block lead
If we check we have to call missed clubs-If we bet 33% flush draws call AJ might call-
you bet 33%- so here is your study point You want to work on the MDF for a lead shove on the river- You want to be thinking about bluff freq by UTG with that stack size as well
RIVER SUCK OUT of course

You played fine till river -you just want to define the freq of worse hands shoving on a 4 straight board- to know if a set is a call-the V can be calling turn with a 9.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop, you could try to play through a 3-bet and put a big bet on the flop, I would even consider an overbet (considering a very dangerous board) and if he hadn’t folded, then there would already be a pot odds push on the turn and he would not be able to call , and how you played, you give him good chances to carry his draw to the river, well, there you can no longer fold, because the pot is too big

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do want to add that those that said the flop bet should be bigger is spot on imo. We are against two vilains with a wet board that connects with their ranges not only for some pairs but also for a ton of draws so we need to milk them here a little more than half pot.

As far as the turn goes the effective SPR is less than 1. I understand we could easily be beat here by some 9x hand and that those 9x hands would potentially check the flop as villain did but there are far more numerous hands like flush draws, AQ, and AK type hands that factoring in villain has already put in 1/4th of their stack pre and flop arent going anywhere (especially flush draws with an over). I do not want to check here and give a free card to a flush draw. Any bet size that we make that makes a villain draw against it (which is what hero tried to do with making the smallest possible bet but still while attaining 4 to 1 for villain) is still committing us (imo anyway) since is we face a jam on river then we are getting almost 4 to 1 still holding a set and still would have 70k behind if we lose which would be 20 BBs. Since I would decide here on the turn that if I bet anything I am not folding to a jam then I am just jamming the turn and making villain decide if they want to go with a draw or not. If they already have a bigger hand then they will get it from me on the river since a non flush card could come in then and I would still be behind and never folding. A fear I would have here depending on villain tendencies is if I check the turn here then they will play the river perfectly against me. They could either never put in another chip if they miss and we lose value or they could bluff a scare card which would make us think. Id much rather go with it here good or bad. I dont hate making a bet on the turn if we are calling every river but I think its better to extract the value from those draws and pair and a draw hands that could be there by putting them all in. if they do fold their draw I dont think this is a board where they would bluff a busted flush draw against since there are other things out there and those things are hands where if villain had them they would not be checking too often on flop and turn so they would be announcing they dont have top of the range and with the board missing couldnt be bluffing much. All my opinions of course but I like just going with the hand on the turn with second option being playing it the way hero played the hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as the turn goes the effective SPR is less than 1. I understand we could easily be beat here by some 9x hand and that those 9x hands would potentially check the flop as villain did but there are far more numerous hands like flush draws, AQ, and AK type hands that factoring in villain has already put in 1/4th of their stack pre and flop arent going anywhere (especially flush draws with an over). I do not want to check here and give a free card to a flush draw.
The only reason, I lean towards a turn check, is because of the poor flop sizing, which created an awkward SPR on the turn. If we jam for full pot with a 1-liner to a straight, I feel, that allow the opponent to play a little to close to perfect by calling with anything better and folding most worse. But if it was only say 80% pot, then I would also go for a turn jam. Betting small, as OP actually did, is by far the worst possible turn line, since we still lose the max, when we are beat or get drawn out on, but might not get his entire stack, when he brick the river.