$20 Sit N Go. Q10 in BB, What could I have done differently

K

Krenium

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So this is my first post so please excuse any noobishness.

I had the Villain marked as a loose player. He typically plays 3-5 hands every orbit.

full tilt poker Game #4272039388: $20 + $2 Sit & Go (32411468), Table 1 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:34:08 ET - 2007/11/23
Seat 2: Watts1177 (1,825)
Seat 3: schmierbauch (2,815)
Seat 4: effucee3s (1,055)
Seat 5: stbasil (780)
Seat 6: See_Inside (3,990)
Seat 7: mckinda (1,670)
Seat 9: Krenium (1,365)
mckinda posts the small blind of 30
Krenium posts the big blind of 60
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Krenium [Qh Tc]
Watts1177 folds
schmierbauch folds
effucee3s folds
stbasil has 15 seconds left to act
stbasil folds
See_Inside calls 60
mckinda calls 30
Krenium checks
*** FLOP *** [Ts 6d 9s]
mckinda checks
Krenium bets 120
See_Inside calls 120
mckinda calls 120
*** TURN *** [Ts 6d 9s] [4d]
mckinda checks
Krenium bets 300
See_Inside calls 300
mckinda folds
*** RIVER *** [Ts 6d 9s 4d] [3s]
Krenium checks
See_Inside bets 1,140
Krenium calls 885, and is all in

I'm not certain if my bet on the turn, or my call on the river were the correct moves. On the turn, I figured at least one of my opponents was on some sort of drawing hand, so I tried to push them out. I'm not sure if my bet was big enough tho. And I'm not particularly proud of my call on river, but I wasn't sure if I could fold when I had already put 40% of my chips in the pot.

Oh well, thanks in advance for any advice or criticism.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You say you had the villain marked as "loose". Could you elaborate a little?

Has he been raising or calling mostly? Has he mostly gotten out or stayed in when he met resistance? What type of hands has he shown down? (lots of loose players will make all sorts of crazy calls preflop but get out postflop when they miss or don't hit flop very well. Other will stay in betting/calling all their stack if they catch any piece of it including draws and bottom pair). Where does your villain stand?

I'm not pushing this one unless I'm absolutely sure my opponent can and will stay in with a very weak holding. If I'm convinced he can and will make this sort of play with any ten or even 2nd or 3rd pair I will probably go all the way to the end but I have to be very, very sure that is the case. You have to bet top pair here but I need a good read to get all in with it especially when calling it. Blinds are still low enough that you can come back with patient play and 885 chips even though that isn't great.

I don't like this board very much, no flush draws but he could have hit a straight (7/8 or less likely 5/7) and this would fit his call/call/all-in pattern. He could have also flopped 2 pair or trips (less likely but possible) and been slowplaying you. Or he could have something like T/K. T/A he would probably have raised. Most of the time I'm letting this go and looking for a better spot as about the only hands you can really hope he has are something like T/J or air.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two rules violated:
1. Don't go broke with one pair.
2. Don't go broke in a limped pot.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Van as usual is more concise (and completely correct)

K

Krenium

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, I'm not completely certain how to answer your question of what kind of loose player he was. I'll be sure to make more detailed observations in the future.

I agree I played this hand poorly, but my question was more along the lines of when did it all go wrong?

Was my bet on the turn justified, or was it just the river play that was incorrect.

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, I'm not completely certain how to answer your question of what kind of loose player he was. I'll be sure to make more detailed observations in the future.

I agree I played this hand poorly, but my question was more along the lines of when did it all go wrong?

Was my bet on the turn justified, or was it just the river play that was incorrect.

After being called on the flop by two limped players its likely they either have a draw, top pair weak kicker, middle pair or (unlikely) a set. With the board being so draw heavy a set would probably reraise.

I would bet out between 220-300 on turn to make the draws pay or win it right there, so I don't mind that bet.

The problem is when one of the draws gets there on the river (there were flush and straight draws), villain shoves. Calling off the rest of your chips on prayer (top pair, good kicker) is a bad move. The only hand you can realistically beat is a bluff. Any thinking player who has made their flush will shove this hoping it looks like a over-bet bluff. And that's if he didn't slow play a set, which this kinda smells like.

Yes, you had put in 40% of your chips, but that is a poor reason to call the river. You are not committed as the blinds are low and you will still have well over 10bbs left.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are going to call a river all in anyway if the flush hits you might as well push the turn. If villan is on a flush draw the push will not give him proper odds to call with one card to come and you will have all your money in as a big favorite. If the flush doesn't hit you will be unlikely to make anymore money on the river. I only say this because you called the all-in river bet when the flush hit. So I assume you planned on putting all you money in no matter what so if that's the case get in while ahead not when behind.