$20 NLHE STT Turbo: $20(pub game) NLHE STT Turbo: Villain makes big raise, sitting with AQo: my move?

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$20 NL HE STT Turbo: $20(pub game) NL HE STT Turbo: Villain makes big raise, sitting with AQo: my move?

Ok, this was a live game and I don't remember all the details but I'll give it my best shot. There were two hands that were very similar so I'll post both in the same thread. Both hands were at a $20 pup league game; the loose aggressive action freaks go to the other league; this one attracts players who are loose/passive; it can be assumed that the players are generally quite bad.

Hand 1:

The average chip stack was 10000.

8 handed table, approximately 1-3 limpers. Blinds 100/200

Villain(about $15000) in CO raises 1300. Villain plays about 30% of hands, maybe more. He likes to make big raises/check raises on the flop with nothing.

Hero(10000) Button: AQo

My move?

Hand 2: Blinds are 1000/2000. Villain open raises for 8000 in either UTG or UTG+1, 8 handed table. Villain has a little under 40000.

Villain is bit of a character. I have little definite reads on him as of yet. He likes to call people donkeys and critize peoples loose play, yet he limps stuff like 57 mid position when blinds are cheap and A2 when blinds are moderate. Whenever he raises he has something, I have not once caught him bluffing and I have played with him on a number of occasions(sometimes his "value" bets can be questionable, as the hand isn't that strong.) He likes to raise any pockets, but I don't think he'd raise this much when the blinds are this high with 22-77. When he thinks he is ahead he will bet fairly big, if what sometimes quite spewy big, then critize the donkeys for their bad plays if they beat him. One interesting hand was he limped with T7 late, a passive person raises it 2.5 blinds when there were 3 limpers, everyone calls, one of the players says, "I need a 7". Flop comes 742 rainbow, preflop raiser checks and villain moves all in for 20000 into a 5000 pot. Turns out the guy who said he needed a 7 had A7, which he folded since villain pushed before he act.

Hero(55000) in SB or button, folded to him: AQo

My move?

Sorry if this is hard to read. If something is unclear please ask. I really had no idea as to how I should play in these spots.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those that found all the writing too much:

Hand 1

blinds 100/200, Q=10000

MP1(10000) limps
CO(10000) limps
D(15000) raises 1300
SB(10000) [hero] AQo

villain likes to make big bluff raises post flop

Hand 2

blinds 1000/2000

UTG(38000) raises 8000
everyone folds to SB
SB(55000) [hero] AQo

villain rarely(if ever) bluffs

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the first scenario, you say villain plays 30% of hands, but how many of those does he raise pre? That's the important question here, as with 1-3 limpers I'd either ship it or fold. That's 600 + the blinds makes it 900, and his raise kicks it to over 2000, 20% of your stack. If he's limping most of the time, and this raise is rare, I probably lay it down.

2nd case is trickier I think- is villain aware that he needs better hands to raise UTG? Having said that, what hands could villain be raising that we are actually ahead of? AJ? AT? KQ? AK I'd have no problem playing here, but I think AQ is too often either crushed pre or you'd have to fold to a cbet when an A or Q doesn't hit 2/3 of the time. This problem is made worse by the fact that even if your A or Q does hit, you still can't be sure you're ahead.

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand I would 4 bet I'm likely getting it in on most flops if he calls. Second hand I would fold because utg range is usually very strong.

Top 10 Games