$2 NLHE STT Turbo: Flop trips with 3 diamonds

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: Flop trips with 3 diamonds

Played correctly? I did not want my flop bet to be too big because i felt there was a good chance at least one of them would call and if they did and a diamond fell i'd be in a tough spot (since it was very early, I did not want to commit myself already). Maybe I should have raised preflop, but at the real low blinds I just like to set mine. Should I just jam it on the flop?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
MP1 (t1485)
MP2 (t1455)
CO (t1920)
Button (t1450)
Hero (SB) (t1400)
BB (t4470)
UTG (t1320)
Hero's M: 23.33
Preflop: Hero is SB with 9
spade.gif
, 9
club.gif

3 folds, CO calls t40, 1 fold, Hero calls t20, BB checks
Flop: (t120) 9
diamond.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
, J
diamond.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets t80, BB calls t80, CO calls t80
Turn: (t360) K
diamond.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks
River: (t360) K
club.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets t200, BB raises to t600, 1 fold, Hero raises to t1280 (All-In), BB calls t680
Total pot: t2920

P

Poultry_cat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an interesting hand and I'm really looking forward to seeing how other, more experienced players respond. I have been in this situation so many times (flopping a big hand on a draw heavy board) and I'm always at a loss as to what to do. Should I make a reasonable sized bet and hope players will call chasing (and take the risk of getting out drawn?) or bet at it hard in an attempt to shut down the pot right then and there (or at the very least make chasers pay dearly for continuing on).

Can't wait to see what the experts say.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like a raise here preflop since you can represent a lot of hands on the flop and you are 1st to act so you can control the action.

As played, I don't like the bet into this wet flop. Even with a full pot bet you will not be getting folds from the hands you want to fold and you are betting into any made flushes. The turn and the river play themselves.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A flopped set here is not all that strong against a really heavy drawing board and a push will probably get called by the BB who will still be chip leader even if he loses. The small post flop bet was a good indication that both calling players were on draws. The turn card was real scary and checking was the right move. The river gives you your boat and there's no chance your folding, there are so many hands that beat 9's full though. Hope the villain wasn't holding one ?

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like a raise here preflop since you can represent a lot of hands on the flop and you are 1st to act so you can control the action.

As played, I don't like the bet into this wet flop. Even with a full pot bet you will not be getting folds from the hands you want to fold and you are betting into any made flushes. The turn and the river play themselves.

Was the shove on the river correct?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping or raising pre-flop is fine, you could either take the initiative, or wait and see where you're at when the flop comes. As played, on the flop, I guess we're bet to try and discourage the action, but I really feel like we have no fold equity here, all draws are gonna chase here. On the turn, I feel like we're c/f-ing, which seems nitty but I doubt he's betting with worse. The river is sort of tricky, you could maybe c/c if he bets small, since he might choose to bluff here, but since it's early I'd rather conserve my chips and c/f. As played we really have to fold to his raise. Really, with this hand, I'd try to play a small pot and try to get to a cheap showdown, rather than being aggressive and shoving with a hand that, relative to this board, is actually very weak.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tbh the shove on the river is complete spew. Even calling is spew, he never has worse than Tx here.

Stupid question but what do you mean by spew? lol

Edit: Also- I want him to have Tx, as long as its not the T of diamonds

Last edited:
cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, hahahah, I'm an idiot, we have a full house on the river. My apologies. Yeah I guess we can shove the river, he's not really likely to have something like KQ or KJ here, plus your hand is pretty under-repped, you'll get looked up by most flushes and some straights.

By spew, I just mean that you're practically giving away your chips, which would have been the case if we didn't just fill up on the river.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah ok, thanks. As a side question- how do you know he's not likely to have KJ or KQ? He didn't, but is that just based on the likelihood of the cards being out there, or based on how he played it?

Villain had 6 T off. T of diamonds =(

cha4zz

cha4zz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A raise PF would have likely got the BB out of the way with 6,10o. A standard 3-4x bb raise would have still got probably got the guy in the CO along, and having raised from the SB the guy has to credit you having a decent hand.

The board is a horrible wet board, but i'd still lead out to try and take the pot down on the flop. Obviously the turn and river play themselves out, but not raising preflop loses you this hand in my opinion more than anything else.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah ok, thanks. As a side question- how do you know he's not likely to have KJ or KQ? He didn't, but is that just based on the likelihood of the cards being out there, or based on how he played it?

Villain had 6 T off. T of diamonds =(

This is where a raise pre-flop may have put him off his hand. I wouldn't "jam" it in, but a nice 3-4 bet would have been good.

Post-flop, you gave him odds to call with all the different draws he had. On the river, I expect that his call to your shove was so fast it would have made your head spin. He couldn't have asked for a better turn/river.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is where a raise pre-flop may have put him off his hand. I wouldn't "jam" it in, but a nice 3-4 bet would have been good.

Post-flop, you gave him odds to call with all the different draws he had. On the river, I expect that his call to your shove was so fast it would have made your head spin. He couldn't have asked for a better turn/river.

Well after the fact I definitely did wish I raised pf. I just normally find it easier to set mine because if I raise pf and an over falls, it puts me in a tough spot and I like to avoid those as much as possible early in a SNG. However, I realize it was the better play because I could cbet if an over falls and if he calls/raises then I can be done w/ the hand...

I was really hopin for a hand like K 4 or any non-diamond T....

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise preflop? no sir.. completely standard to setmine in this spot.. you hardly want to raise with such a weak hand out of position here..

flop play is fine.. though i would have bet it a tad larger.. but no big deal.. turn is fine and gettting it in on the river is fine

if he bets the turn we have to consider our implied odds of hitting the FH.. we want a very decent price, as we could be drawing dead. though unlikely..