$2 NLHE STT: Next steps?

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(#203102515) - Blinds: 60/120 No Limit Hold'em (6 players)
Full Tilt Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com
SB: $1040
BB: $1180
UTG Hero: $2485
MP: $4260
CO: $2740
BTN: $1795
Pre-flop: ($180) Hero is UTG and dealt :kd4: :qc4:
Hero raises to $240, 2 folds, BTN calls $240, BB folds
Flop: ($660) :qh4: :ks4: :10c4: (2 players)
Hero bets $420, BTN raises to $1555 (All-in)[/color

Would welcome views on potential next steps here....thanks in advance

Mark

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a questionable open as we are probably getting flat called here often, which puts us in bad spots postflop.

Whatever you do on the flop, don't fold.

or call.

or think.

just shove.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your stack is too small to do anything other than shove on this flop. +1 on the fold preflop too.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold pre.

call the shove.

MrEpic94

MrEpic94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as stated already.

fold pre, call the shove.

Playing this hand OOP is just too difficult to get any reads on your opponent. When deciding to play a hand preflop, the greater the value off the hand the less other information we need and vice versa. If we have a very strong hand, reads are less important as we have a very strong hand. With a weaker hand like KQo we need more information otherwise villians will rape us.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting views thanks. I hadn't actually considered the point about not even opening in the first place - 6 handed I like KQ but looking back I was UTG so..... maybe not.

I actually folded rather than call the AI as it screamed that the villain had AJ or TT - this was the first move he had made like this and I figured I still had 3/4 of my chips left in any event. Taking on board the comments above and reflecting that the villain could have have also had AA or JJ both of which we're ahead of then maybe I played this too weak tight. Recently when calling in this sort of situation the viallians have always had the nuts so maybe I was a bit gun shy too.

Interesting - thanks to all

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Opening it isn't horrible, but if you are asking questions like this about postflop play, you probably shouldn't be playing them.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So why do we have to shove over 2x pot here on the flop? Villain hasn't shown any particular strength here, all he did was call a raise on the button. Seems to me you can value bet this flop as OP did. Sometimes you'll get raised but a lot of times it will be with a draw, which we're ahead of. Is it just because a bad card could come on the turn and we'll be put in a bad spot?

(OP I call the flop shove too, even though I'm not thrilled about it)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the flop, pot=660, Hero=2245, BTN=1555

There is no reasonable bet that the Hero can make here that will not have the BTN pot committed should the BTN come along. So if the BTN is going to play this hand further it will be for their stack so just get it in now and leave the hard decision up to the BTN. This is one of the cases where stack to pot ratio overrides bet to pot ratio.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, understand about leaving the BTN pot committed and giving him a tough choice. If our hand were a little bit weaker I'd shove over here for sure, but in this case we're strong enough I think we can make a smaller value bet and hope he comes along or decides to shove over with worse. Big enough he doesn't get the correct odds to call if he's holding something like KJ, but small enough he'd be tempted to call. Seems like if we shove over we're just chasing out the hands we want to call us. If he happens to have AJ, KK, QQ, TT we're crushed but the money was all going in anyhow.