$2 NLHE STT: I had no idea what to do here.

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am certain that I played this badly but ive no idea what I should have done differently. It early and ive no read. How should I play this type of hand. I didnt think my opponent had an ace however a PP was very likely. Should this be an easy fold?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
Hero (MP) (t1345)
CO (t1595)
Button (t1980)
SB (t990)
BB (t1590)
UTG (t1500)
Hero's M: 29.89
Preflop: Hero is MP with 10
club.gif
, 10
spade.gif

1 fold, Hero bets t100, 3 folds, BB raises to t210, Hero calls t110
Flop: (t435) 6
spade.gif
, 7
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t150, Hero calls t150
Turn: (t735) A
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t180, Hero calls t180
River: (t1095) A
heart.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t495, Hero calls t495
Total pot: t2085

MrEpic94

MrEpic94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just fold the flop. as you said villian either has a PP or an Ace most likely. And probably not worth calling three streets with Ts this early on, just fold an look for a better spot.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold it pre.

Really? You're thinking the small 3-bet always means a big PP? You're getting 3:1 odds, seems like it might be worth a call in case he has AK (or less). Then again I suppose you get yourself into situations like this where reverse implied odds can kill you (I'm guessing OP lost the hand here).

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really? You're thinking the small 3-bet always means a big PP? You're getting 3:1 odds, seems like it might be worth a call in case he has AK (or less). Then again I suppose you get yourself into situations like this where reverse implied odds can kill you (I'm guessing OP lost the hand here).

No, this 3bet can mean a lot of differant things, but it's never just big PP or AK here. He is an obvious bad player judging from the raise sizing. But is he bad for raising weak hands here or is he bad for raising super strong hands making it too obvious he wants action. who knows?

Too many overs flop with 10's and we simply cannot continue on a ton of flops. And even if we flop unders we still lose a decent % of the time to overpairs.

I don't really know if my thinking is correct or not. I'd probably raise smaller preflop, but i'm most probably folding to the 3bet here without reads.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'll tell you I could have saved a tourney recently by taking your advice and folding my TT to a 3-bet instead of calling. :)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given that it's a $2 game (and assuming my memories of the average villains in those games are accurate) the degenerate in me is sooooooooo tempted to just four-bet shove PF. But the pot's not really that big so if villain folds we're not gaining all that much and if he calls we're usually flipping or crushed which is obviously bad too. Stacks probably aren't deep enough to set mine and overcards come all too often so I guess I can see the merit in getting away after the three-bet preflop.

As played I think we pretty much have to fold the flop since the ace hits loads of the hands in the villain's range and has us drawing to two outs. I'd have preferred it to be any face card other than the ace.

Once the second ace hits the turn it makes it less likely that the villain has an ace but I can't find many other hands in his range that he plays like this and we beat. We beat 7x, 6x and that's about it - we're still behind Ax, JJ-KK and I can't see much else continuing here. Plus it's a very small bet, which can either mean a weak stab at a bluff or (more often) an attempt to keep you in.

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian had JJ here so I was beat all the way. Thanks for the responces.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold it pre.

I like to raise 3x pre with the tens here and go ahead and call the 3bet but then fold for sure if I don't hit a ten especially if the board contains and ace king queen or jack.

Villian had JJ here so I was beat all the way. Thanks for the responces.

Why did you post this?

Because I didnt know what to do in this hand, I said that in the title.

No I meant the results.

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to raise 3x pre with the tens here and go ahead and call the 3bet but then fold for sure if I don't hit a ten especially if the board contains and ace king queen or jack.

Sorry but I just don't see the logic to this. You're planning to call a three-bet out of position on a set mine, committing say 18-20% of your stack on a hand that you'll only hit about 10% of the time?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling is the worst pre-flop I'd say, you can't call for set value, and post-flop you're never going to be able to extract from worse. So it's between raising and folding, which really depends on your read. Since you don't really have one, I'm probably shipping and am expecting to get called by AT+, 77+, KQ, maybe KJs, possibly even QJs. You just can't give a ton of credit to a random in a $2 game raising like this imo. You have about 53% equity against that range, and when you factor in the dead money in the pot and fold equity, I'm pretty sure that's profitable.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely a shove or fold here. Flatting is just too much of our stack when most flops will be unfavorable for us. For me it is really villain dependent here sometimes I shove sometimes I fold.