OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2 NL HE STT: $$2 NL HE STT: bubble line check with 99

Villain in this hand has been... well, unpredictable is probably the best way to describe his play to this point. At some points he's been aggressive, at others he's played super-weak - not sure which he is at the start of this hand. The two players in the blinds have been nitty and I'm expecting them to fold everything but monsters preflop no matter what my action is.

My image is I've been stealing with gay abandon since the table got short handed.

Our action on the turn is probably fairly cut and dried, I'm more interested in an overall line check for the hand - is three-betting preflop the right way to go, should we be c-betting the flop and are there really any legit options other than folding on the turn?

full tilt poker Game #16213156670: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (119522295), Table 1 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em - 7:32:55 ET - 2009/11/22
Seat 1: Niurka (2,420)
Seat 2: OzExorcist (4,455)
Seat 3: cortex84 (4,395)
Seat 5: 1967Samson (2,230)
cortex84 posts the small blind of 40
1967Samson posts the big blind of 80
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to OzExorcist [9h 9s]
Niurka raises to 240
OzExorcist raises to 650
cortex84 folds
1967Samson folds
Niurka calls 410
*** FLOP *** [Th Ks Qh]
Niurka checks
OzExorcist checks
*** TURN *** [Th Ks Qh] 7♥
Niurka bets 1,420
OzExorcist...

T

Teebone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can set mine or play aggressively. I preferr set mining with 9's. I play them passively.

In your case Three-betting preflop was okay since your playing aggressively, but the check on the flop was bad, by checking you get no information on how strong his hand is, and your asking him to bet at you on the turn. Also if he was on a flush draw you give him a free card to get there. As for the fold on the turn thats the smart move considering a flush just hit the board. You can raise to find out where you are hoping that all the over cards didnt hit him and he has no flush, but a call would just be bad.

On the flop**** A bet of half the pot would be okay so as not to lose too much to a re-raise/call. Because if he calls you have to know your beat and just give up right there.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
teebone? set mine? i dont think your getting odds to set mine...

3betting wouldnt be the way i played it, id prefer to call preflop and considering your aggressive table image the 3bet wont be as effective. the other problem with 3betting is if someone reraises you again your gonna have to fold it.

then just check fold the flop, it may be a hand later on youd want to shove or resteal with, but with the blinds are smallish compared to stack sizes, def not worth the risk.. obv fold on the turn, not much you can beat aprt from smaller pair..

oh and teebone, the pot is 1200 roughly on the flop so a bet would pretty much commit you to the hand, in this spot after the 3bet didnt work its such a draw heavy board, you could try a really small bet, this may work at the smaller buy ins if he didnt hit.. but chances are he did.. but like i said, i believe the mistake was made preflop, 99 isnt really good enough to 3 bet here..

T

Teebone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling in hopes to hit a nine or the board making all undercards, maybe set mine is not the right word.

Wizzim he has 4554, after the flop he has 3900 with the pot being 1100 a bet of say 500/600 would in no way commit him especially considering the blinds are 40/80.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling in hopes to hit a nine or the board making all undercards, maybe set mine is not the right word.

Wizzim he has 4554, after the flop he has 3900 with the pot being 1100 a bet of say 500/600 would in no way commit him especially considering the blinds are 40/80.
Doesnt matter how much we have what does matter is effective stacks, witch in this case are 2420 prf and 1770 postflop...

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At these stakes I just c-bet all day, either he calls on the flop and shows he has weak hand that beats you or folds or raises and we know we are behind here.

I never ever check behind and loose the lead. Alot of people will let you run them over and the key to taking tournaments down is agression. I c-bet 100% as the board is high so it is very believable that we have hit a pair or better on the flop, if my bet is met with agression i can just give it up at that point knowing that most likely im way behind.

The problem we find with checking behind on this flop is that we gain no information about our opponents hand, which inturn puts in a very difficult spot on the turn when he bets, as we dont know wether hes bluffing to try and take it away or value betting after intending t C/R the flop.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3betting wouldnt be the way i played it, id prefer to call preflop and considering your aggressive table image the 3bet wont be as effective. the other problem with 3betting is if someone reraises you again your gonna have to fold it.

Actually, I'd seriously consider calling a shove preflop. IDK it's probably a bad move but given our image as the table bully / LAGtard, what do people think? Obviously it's a bad move if we've got a tight image.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have preferred a flat call preflop, not the 3-bet. With our read that the blinds won't play w/o a monster, our 3-bet if called means the opponent is pretty well committed since the pot is 1420 and his remaining stack is 1770 and being UTG I can't see opponent's range being so wide as to raise/fold to the table bully :) I see opponents check on the flop as allowing you to add c-bet before he shoves. With your image and that flop your check behind says you have a hand that can't stand up to that flop.

M

mrjohnson911

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just flat here pf.. of you 3bet you have to cbet otherwise the 3bet doesnt make any sense at all...

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I ended up folding this one, figuring there wasn't a lot left that I beat, so we'll never know what the villain had.