J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE: Set vs 3 of one suit on flop

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 25/4/1

Villain was very passive. I felt I had a table image of an aggressive player, so it was hard to say whether his calls were genuine or to just catch a bluffer. This was towards the end of a 9 person sit n go and I was short stack. Here's the hand:

Stacks:
UTG with 2185
BTN with 3050
SB with 3535
BB with 4730

Blinds:
Site: Full Tilt Poker
Dealt to UTG:9♣ 9♠
Sklansky group 3
Preflop: Hero raises to 300
2 players fold.
BB calls [180]
Total folds this street: 2
Potsize: 660
Flop: 2♥ 6♥ 9♥
BB checks Hero bets [660]
BB calls [660]
Potsize: 1980
Turn: 4♠
BB checks Hero bets [1,225, and is all in]
BB calls [1,225] Hero shows : 9♣ 9♠
Potsize: 3206
River: 10♥

ImolAyrton

ImolAyrton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he was on any draw here, you probably lost the hand.. I dont put him on a set or overpair here.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put him on a flush draw. Do you think that was a decent assumption to make?

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u dont enough chips to fold here. I think u were ahead until the river. WHat did villian have?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a flop where you have to decide whether you want to risk your stack or not. If you can put opponent on only 2 overs w/ 1 heart then you need to shove. Anything less than a shove is going to be called by such a hand.

Against 2 overs w/ 1 heart you are 70-30. Against 87 w/ 1 heart you would be 58-42. Against a made flush you are 35-65.

IMHO I would have checked this down and folded on an large bet or a 4th heart.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a flop where you have to decide whether you want to risk your stack or not. If you can put opponent on only 2 overs w/ 1 heart then you need to shove. Anything less than a shove is going to be called by such a hand.

Against 2 overs w/ 1 heart you are 70-30. Against 87 w/ 1 heart you would be 58-42. Against a made flush you are 35-65.

IMHO I would have checked this down and folded on an large bet or a 4th heart.
what? there are 3 hearts on board but the chances of him having a flush at this point are quite slim. op played the hand ok imo

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was obvious Villian had a heart draw if he called a pot size bet on the flop. He then further called your all in on the turn. The method I use to defend against a strong draw is to over bet the flop - 2 x pot = 1,980. This will question the draw is it worth a call. By this time if he calls, you know for sure it's likely he's drawing or a low possibility he has a set.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a $2 SNG a pot sized bet on this flop with these stacks is not going to make the 'usual' player decide if they have the right pot odds to call or not, they will call 100% of the time, IMHO.

Since OP has position, IMHO, the stronger play here would be to check behind on this flop. As passive as the BB is supposed to be, letting the BB hang about whether you flopped the nuts or not here is better than betting out.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a $2 SNG a pot sized bet on this flop with these stacks is not going to make the 'usual' player decide if they have the right pot odds to call or not, they will call 100% of the time, IMHO.

Since OP has position, IMHO, the stronger play here would be to check behind on this flop. As passive as the BB is supposed to be, letting the BB hang about whether you flopped the nuts or not here is better than betting out.
well if hes calling a pot sized bet 100% of time with a fd then he is making mistake and our play is +ev

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pretty standard cooler

you will get 100x of these soon

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if hes calling a pot sized bet 100% of time with a fd then he is making mistake and our play is +ev

thats what i was thinking when i played it. I thought it was likely he could have one heart and stick around, but I didn't think he had the flush from the get-go.

sky4ever

sky4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a cooler, however you were playing on the bubble. In any other situation I think I would have played this hand similar but on the bubble I would have taken Jillychemung`s way.

BLieve

BLieve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You said villain was passive? Tight or loose??? Either way i think checking behind is the way to go. I think if there is ever an example of way ahead or way behind concept this would be it. The only positive out of betting postflop is if you think he is holding one heart but two things factor in here. You saidhe is passive so if he called preflop oop I would think he has an A or K or both and if either is a heart he will be making the call. You also have position so in the back of my mind I would say to myself I will call this down if no more hearts come up. I know with trip nines you feel like you have to defend what you think is the best hand there but I think its better to win a small pot than to lose a big one at this point. Nothing good really comes out of betting postflop. But then again I had at least a minute to analyze this hand and hindsight is 50-50.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so even if i thought he was holding one heart i should check it down?

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again as Jilly said, you have to decide if this is where you make you stand. If yes, all in may get a single heart to fold but it may not. From my experience, players at this level have a hard time folding their flush draws. So if you go all in and get a call and a heart doesn't come you double up to the chip lead. If one comes, you are out.

On a flop like that, your only decision is to go all in or try to check it down.