$2 NLHE MTT Turbo: How do you put your opponent on a range?

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 28/21/3.7

On this hand, I had Pokerstove opened. I made an extremely gutsy, gambling, horrible call against a player and I was lucky that my marginal hand slightly held up.

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 77.50/155 Blinds (8 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t180)
Hero (BB) (t5065)
UTG (t9285)
UTG+1 (t8195)
MP1 (t4365)
MP2 (t2115)
CO (t835)
Button (t21132)

Hero's M: 21.78

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3
club.gif
, 3
spade.gif

Hero calls t240, UTG bets t1075, 5 folds, Hero calls t835

Flop: (t2305) 7
spade.gif
, Q
spade.gif
, 2
spade.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets t8185, Hero calls t3965

Turn: (t10235) 4
diamond.gif
(3 players)

River: (t10235) 10
diamond.gif
(3 players)

Total pot: t10235

Results:
SB had 6
spade.gif
, A
club.gif
(high card, Ace).
Hero had 3
club.gif
, 3
spade.gif
(one pair, threes).
UTG had K
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif
(high card, Ace).
Outcome: Hero won t10435

Here's my thought process of every street that occured on this hand.

Pre-flop, since utg raised, I used my Pokerstove and inputted some information about my villain's range based on vpip/pfr. his vpip was 28 and pfr was 21 and this was based on about 70 hands or so. so I put his range on 22+, all broadways, A7o+, A7s+.

On the flop, I checked, villain shoved, I was faced with a decision. I went back to my Pokerstove, and based on the way he played, I excluded nut flush from the range. I told myself that if villain flopped a set, i still got 9 outs for a flush draw. Only hand I should be afraid of that's within his range is tptk offsuit with nut flush draw. if he's got tptk with no flush draw, I would have 11 outs. I also added semi-bluff with any Ace or King high for flush draw also, which then, i would be coin-flipping at best. This is how i put my villain on a range.

Noob range

Now I'm asking myself, should I call off my stack over something that's possibly 50% equity? Since I treated BLT like a freeroll, I told myself, screw this, I'm calling this and bust out early.

As my pokerstove said, I was coin-flipping after i called and villain rolled over AKo. I won the pot.

This was horrible call, no doubt. I was just excited that i won. Is there any guide on this forum that teaches about range? Bcz I know this was a horrible way to put my villain on a range. Something new I can try learning. Any video or guide to fix this? I just don't want to be result-oriented based on this hand and actually learn and know how to put my villain on a range properly.

M

mikejm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to narrow that range more. if he was playing positionally then you can take out all broadway preflop replace it with AKo,AKs,AQs, AQo, AJs,AT, KQs, and then all pocket pairs. so thats about the right range we have for him preflop now post flop we really can't be making this call. i understand it was the BLT but that doesnt mean we have to give away our chips. Really you should definitely be considering that he has the flush, a pair with a flush draw and remeber every flush draw getting shoved here is gonna be better then your three no one shoves a 2 high flush draw and he also might have tptk. so just think through logically what he has and how likely you are to beat his range. against the weakest part of his range you had a coin flip luckily you won that flip but still a bad call none the less.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The FTR conversion looks a little screwy. Are you in the BB here? It says you're calling before UTG raises. The blinds can't be 77.50/155 right? Is is 120/240? If that's the case then maybe you have odds to limp and set mine (if that's what happened, again I don't understand the hand conversion). But whether you limped or are in the BB here, I'd fold to the raise. You definitely don't have the odds to set mine here for 1/5 your stack, and you're still too deep to be looking for a coin flip.

As played I'd just fold to the flop shove. You do have a spade but if he's shoving here it's likely he has a spade too, and it's almost certainly better than yours.

As far as ranges, as mikejm says, unless he's a total donkey he's probably opening tighter from UTG (but yeah agree the BLT is going to be full of donkeys). Then on the flop I think you have to narrow his range based on the super scary board texture. He's either got a made hand that he's trying to protect, or he's got at least one good spade and he's semi bluffing with outs. There's always a chance you're up against a total bluff, but I think not nearly enough to justify a call.