$2 NLHE MTT: Interesting spot with 33

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
80136826-150 - $200 Gtd [6-Max, Turbo] (80122982-1)
Holdem Tournament No Limit Holdem Tournament
Friday 28 Nov 2014 5:11:51 AM
1: ohshootmybad [16100]
2: TheChipKartel [75896]
3: Holdysmoothie [35965]
4: jgrssAA [116013]
5: rosstheboss31 [68672] (Dealer)
6: ByronSiren
*** BLINDS ***
ohshootmybad Paid Ante 250
TheChipKartel Paid Ante 250
Holdysmoothie Paid Ante 250
jgrssAA Paid Ante 250
rosstheboss31 Paid Ante 250
ByronSiren Paid Ante 250
ByronSiren Posts Small Blind 1250
ohshootmybad Posts Big Blind 2500
*** PREFLOP ***
ohshootmybad Hole Cards: 3h,3c
TheChipKartel Raises 5000
Holdysmoothie Folds
jgrssAA Calls 5000
rosstheboss31 Calls 5000
ByronSiren Calls 3750
ohshootmybad...???

FT, I'm 6/6 when this hand happened.

Folding isn't an option here (is it?), but what is the best option here between jamming and just calling?

If I jam, it's very likely that no one is folding and I'm not really confident with my hand in a 5 way pot. Even if no one else has a pair, there are a ton of overcards I have to dodge. However, its potentially a huge pot and if I win it, I have a good chance to take down the MTT. So, maybe it's worth the gamble? Especially since I'm 6/6, so it's no big deal if I bust here

Calling the min raise is also an option since I close the action. I'm hoping to jam the flop if a 3 comes, but if it doesn't, hopefully the flop induces a lot of action. Even if I have to fold and be severely short stack, it is possible for me to move up a spot or 2 on the pay ladder if the flop hits a couple of players hard.

So, I can either take gamble with a very small chance of taking down a 5-way pot, but it puts me in a great position to take down an MTT if I do win. Or I can give up that small chance for a big pot/MTT win for a bigger chance at moving up the pay ladder.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ez ship. i think you have some small fold equity due to it being a $2 tourny but even if not you're def getting good enough odds to quad-up if you bink that set.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Is it me or am I too tight a player, but I would fold in this position. This is because of the reasons you state - too many over cards - If I had 77 or above I would jamm also. What happened as interest? I hope you took it down in the end? Gl..............:D:D:D

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am folding here. With 4 callers behind you, you are definitely crushed by at least one overpair. You aren't deep enough to set mine here and you are definitely getting called if you are shoving and it is unlikely you are ever ahead. Calling is also not an option because unless you flop a set and that only happens 1 in 7 times, your stack will be even shorter. Every chip is so valuable here and preserving it for a better spot would be wise. Now, had everybody else after the original raiser folded, then shoving would be fine here.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy shove with your stack size , hope on coinflip...

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flat pre and jam any flop to limit your action. With 4 people already in the pot it is highly unlikely you will get any of them to fold to a preflop shove. It's unlikely you will ladder up with your stack at this point by folding. So its best to flat call and shove the flop hoping a few people will disregard the flop and it saves you from having to give them a turn/river.
Interesting spot regardless.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From a strategy purpose, on this stack here is what I usually do to try and get isolation easier.

You have 16.1k in chips, once you flat pre, this leaves you with 11.1k behind.

Once the flop comes, instead of shoving, just leadout out for 11k and leave yourself with 100 behind. This may seem like a weird play, but if you get multiple callers to your shove, it's more likely one will try and bet the other out, therefore adding more dead money into the pot and less hands to go up against. Or, one person will call, the other will re-raise over, then you chip in your last 100, and the initial caller is more inclined to fold.

As an example.

You flat call, and bet 11k of your 11.1k stack on an 8T2 flop. Two call, one folds. Now once the turn comes, you check with your 100 behind, trying to induce one of the other players to make a bet to fold out the other, in which case you put in your last 100 chips if someone makes a bet. It may seem like an awkward play, but in the past this play has been very helpful for me in turbo MTTs.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a fan at all of the stop and go here trent. With 4players seeing the flop its pretty unlikely that no one will hit something. The question for me is. How often do people fold any sort of pair postflop to our 11k bet.

I like the thinking behind it but I dont this this is a great time to apply it.

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would shove, and hope that player 2 would shove his overcards. You get to play a good-sized pot in any case, and many opponents will have trouble playing with 44-99 in any case. I don't think that there's so players with many TT-KK with that action anyways. If everyone calls, then fine you have still the odds as the pot is huge and part of your stack is in because of BB whatever you do.

Calling would be a problem with hitting set only 12% at a time and even then you are occasionally beaten by bigger pair and you don't always get good value for rest of your chips. But fold? Never.