$2 NLHE HU Tourney: Too aggresive?

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE HU Tourney: Too aggresive?

full tilt poker Game #15070234990: $2 + $0.15 Heads Up Sit & Go (110524492), Table 1 - 10/20 - No Limit Hold'em - 8:42:28 ET - 2009/10/02
Seat 1: TheSandman1976 (1,710)
Seat 2: Hero (1,290)
TheSandman1976 posts the small blind of 10
Hero posts the big blind of 20
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Td 8h]
TheSandman1976 raises to 80
Hero calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Tc Jh 6s]
Hero checks
TheSandman1976 bets 100
Hero raises to 460
TheSandman1976 calls 360
*** TURN *** [Tc Jh 6s] [Kh]
Hero bets 750, and is all in
TheSandman1976 calls 750
Hero shows [Td 8h]
TheSandman1976 shows [Qh Ks]
*** RIVER *** [Tc Jh 6s Kh] [Ac]
Hero shows a pair of Tens
TheSandman1976 shows a straight, Ace high
TheSandman1976 wins the pot (2,580) with a straight, Ace high
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,580 | Rake 0
Board: [Tc Jh 6s Kh Ac]
Seat 1: TheSandman1976 (small blind) showed [Qh Ks] and won (2,580) with a straight, Ace high
Seat 2: Hero (big blind) showed [Td 8h] and lost with a pair of Tens

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold PF, your not getting priced in with that crap IMO.

mattzan

mattzan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
called raise 10 8? didn't understand.. you should realize that he could have K or A.. you really screwed everything going all in...

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold PF, your not getting priced in with that crap IMO.

but at headsup most of the time it is a blank board for two of the players i thought? am i wrong ?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you aren't going to pay any attention to your opponents bets or responses to your bets, you may as well just push or fold pre flop every hand.

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but at headsup most of the time it is a blank board for two of the players i thought? am i wrong ?

I have no problem with the play preflop and the play on the flop.... BUT, when he called the flop, you should slow down.. He told you he had a hand or a major draw... And those filled up.
You can fold and still have enough to win if this is a HU tourney.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BUT, when he called the flop, you should slow down..

I guess the patience is important.

The thing is with the loose aggresive people it is really hard to quess when they have a hand.they are continually putting the pressure on you at headsup.

what should i do ? when should i take a stand ?

X

Xaras23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played bad when you raise the villan´s bet on the flop! big mistake when you go all in on the turn with a very dangerous board!

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is fine. Flop is fine. Turn you went bananas. I like this play on the turn if it's a 2-5, 8, or T, but a K completes a couple of reasonable draws and is, obviously, an overcard to your pair. Check/fold on the turn for me.

K

kbasch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah bad play on a crazy board like that on the turn. I think flop is ok but not the best move by any means. You have time to turn it around if you fold that hand on the turn

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem with HU is that it's all about reads, which we obviously don't have. Against some players there's nothing wrong with this hand. Against most players though we're just spewing.

Against a generic not-great-but-not-awful opponent I don't mind the preflop action. Villain can (and should) be raising with any two cards and T8 is a hand we can score big with on the right flop.

I probably just lead the flop rather than check-raising though. Yes there's a very good chance we're ahead but by the same token we don't have a monster and there are all sorts of bad cards that can come on the turn that could make our hand second best. Maybe we don't earn the maximum that way but we're OOP with a vulnerable hand, I'd be happy to end things on the flop and take the small win.

As played, we pretty much have to shut down on the turn. We showed major strength by check-raising the flop for that much of our stack, villain still hung around and now there's another overcard to our pair that completes a bunch of draws as well. It's hideous and check-folding is about the only reasonable option.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with HU is that it's all about reads,

in headsup games i make an analysis.

2 kinds of
1.People
aggresive,loose,tight,
2.Situations
fold,raise,check,call strategy

than i play according to my strategy.

here it was the over aggresive loose guy from my person analysis and i made the raise stituation allin over an loose aggresive player which i beleived he hold non.

From this persfective can we think that was a bad beat, or it is a poor play as he has posibility to call me ?

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well......

1. Weak hand specailly with raise preflop.

2. Scarey board

3. After the call on flop slow down ... Check to see where your hand is. Specailly with overs on the board!

4. On the lower games in of HU play your cards not the players! As you get higher play the players.

5. Patience is important specailly if you do not have a very good read on the other player.

6. Sometimes a bit of luck goes the right ways as well!

M

MaxiRodriguez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4. On the lower games in of HU play your cards not the players! As you get higher play the players.

This point exactly... Play for value in low stakes HU. Value bet to death! You will rarely find an villian with the ability that you will find at higher stakes in which case its a completly different story.

PLAY FOR VALUE! have a said it enough?

I learnt the hardway. Please dont aswell.

With the hand in question, im echoing what everyone else has said, the turn is nasty and we have to shut down. Agaisnt certain villains its not the worst play ever.

GL in the future and take 'em down.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLAY FOR VALUE!

can u please explain this further ?

PS: I am mad at 2 dolar HU stakes..one day i win 10 in a row and the other day i loose ten in a row...I wonder what part of the game i am missing ?

kesza

kesza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold it preflop too, but if not I'm not reraising the flop, just calling, then see what would the other guy do on the turn. But yep, you were too loose and aggressive I think.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmm i guess HU is more like fishing ...

wait to get nuts and bust your opponent ? (VALUE PLAY)

ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should fold preflop.Why pushing with TT and there is jack on the board?You will never win if you think that he is bluffing when he is raising.
Not too aggressive too stupid.
What do you think?You will raise and he will fold.Will anybody fold hand just because of your raise?
Once I have played against donk with no single pair who raises on every street and I was holding 4 of a kind.There was three nines and two other cards on the board and he was pushing with nothing.

Last edited:
RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Will anybody fold hand just because of your raise?

they sometimes do sometimes dont,

i guess i need to undertstand when they will fold.

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya too agressive he could have flopped the str8 or 2 pair and your top pair is sunk lucky river

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What i don't get is the people on here saying that you should fold just because there is an overpair..

The reason im slowing down is b/c any hand that he calls a re-raise with on the flop filled up and is now beating yours..

ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but in live poker.When you plays online it is very possible that opponent got something.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure you really CAN be too aggressive heads up. No sense in folding waiting for AA. But when he called your raise on the flop I would have shut it down knowing I was beat.

JeffJaze

JeffJaze

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would have def. just folded pre flop with the rags, thats the best way to avoid getting into those kinds of tough spots, play tight aggressive poker, but do it with quality hands

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with HU is that it's all about reads, which we obviously don't have. Against some players there's nothing wrong with this hand. Against most players though we're just spewing.

Against a generic not-great-but-not-awful opponent I don't mind the preflop action. Villain can (and should) be raising with any two cards and T8 is a hand we can score big with on the right flop.

I probably just lead the flop rather than check-raising though. Yes there's a very good chance we're ahead but by the same token we don't have a monster and there are all sorts of bad cards that can come on the turn that could make our hand second best. Maybe we don't earn the maximum that way but we're OOP with a vulnerable hand, I'd be happy to end things on the flop and take the small win.

As played, we pretty much have to shut down on the turn. We showed major strength by check-raising the flop for that much of our stack, villain still hung around and now there's another overcard to our pair that completes a bunch of draws as well. It's hideous and check-folding is about the only reasonable option.
^^^This!
You've got gap connectors, not suited, but still can be great to trap opp with if you get a straight. Unless your read on him is to raise only when he has a big hand, I don't mind the call either. Most of the time hu any 2 cards are live.

I actually like the check raise on the flop - this did show major strength. This is a maneuver used to take down the pot, unfortunately it didn't happen. So absolutely check/fold the turn.

Yes but in live poker.When you plays online it is very possible that opponent got something.

^^^I am very confused by your statement. It makes no difference what so ever if you were live or online (especially at these stakes) with this hand played the way it was whether or not your opp had something. Just because it's live doesn't mean it's better play, better cards, better board or any of those. The only "better" thing about live is the reads.