$2 NLHE 6-max: $2 + .25 NLHE 6-max: $2 + .25 NLHE tourney high pair Question

RedskinRunner325

RedskinRunner325

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE 6-max: $2 + .25 NL HE 6-max: $2 + .25 NLHE tourney high pair Question

Hey everyone, hope your all doing well. Just had a question about this hand that I had recently played and was wondering if I could get some feedback on my decision. Your valiant Hero has :ks4::10d4: and is the BB on a 6 person table in a MTT $2 +.25 buy in. 402 players to start, 54 spots paid and there were currently 110 people left. Second to act (villian) raises to 2bb (which at this point is 240). He has 3,400 in chips and I've been sitting with him for a while, watching limp or small raise, see a flop and fold. I don't really think he's a fish, as I have seen him milk some chips out of hands he had sure one. However, for every hand he has played well he has also played one not so well, raising or calling in situations where I would have gotten the hell away with the cards he showed. Overall, I'd say he is playing very loose and, when he decides to play a flop, very aggressivley.
The table folds to me, and I decide to defend my blinds and see the flop, so I flat check. The flop shows:kd4::7s4::9c4:. I now have top pair with a medium kicker, so I decide to bet the pot (540 in chips). After 5 seconds or so, He re-raises 1200 chips. I hit Time immediatley and begin to think this one out. This is exactly how he has made his good and bad plays, re-raising with either the nuts or absolutley nothing. I am pretty sure that he doesn't have KK (that would just not be funny Full Tilt) or AA or AK (I don't see a 2bb raise from him with either of these hands. I wait my full 25 seconds before I figure he is most likely thinking I'm the bb with crap that didn't hit and have tried to buy the pot (I do try and buy the pot when odd boards like this come up). In the last possible second I go All-in, which would leave me with 850 if I lost.

Did I make the right move? I felt like I had a good read on him, and if I could knock him out I would break past the average chip stack line where I had been hovering for the entire tournement. This was my first cash MTT, so let me know if I made any obvious mistakes.

Well, time for some cunstructive criticism going my way.

A

Aaronftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats hes c-bet %? and stats and such. Sounds like your reading the player, personally players like this are hard to read sounds like he mixes hes game well. Id wait until you have him absolutely trapped to try and take him out, your leaving yourself with say 7 BB left.

If you all in and are wrong this one time its cost you the tournament, avoid him until you have decent cards and pray he makes a bad move.
At that stage of the tournament your basically in phase3, players loosen up play more heads up and widen there range usually.

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a lot of analysis for a $2 game, unfortunately your opponents aren't paying as much attention. Figuring villain's range (22-TT, AJ-AQ, JT-KQ) you're probably behind preflop, Pot is 240+120+60 = 420/120 3.5:1, meh... first thing I am thinking is keep the pot small.

I'd lead 1/2 the pot against the preflop raiser. You got a clear answer that Villain is going to the mat with the hand. Shortstacking yourself with TPWK is spew. Find a better spot.

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the pot bet on the flop was too big and now you have put yourself in an aweful pickle. Had you bet 50% of pot and seen a strong raise you would be in a better position to fold or shove. Now if you go all in he has to call. And if you fold you have cost yourself extra chips for the same info.
I guess for a $2 tourney I go with it here and learn my mistakes. You are probably behind, but with your read on your opponent, you have reasonable pot odds. Plus, I think I can work my way out of a short stack with only 7BB left even if I lose, as I have played the shortie many times.