$2 NLHE: $$2 NLHE: Moved to New Table AKo then AKs in a row.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2 NL HE: $$2 NL HE: Moved to New Table AKo then AKs in a row.

So basically I got moved to a table of unknowns in the early/middle stage of a tourney. I know what I did for both these hands but what do you do?

Hand #1

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t2460)
UTG (t1425)
UTG+1 (t3490)
MP1 (t1654)
MP2 (t1958)
MP3 (t4183)
CO (t160)
Button (t950)
SB (t1110)

Hero's M: 41.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with A
diamond.gif
, K
spade.gif

2 folds, MP1 bets t160, 1 fold, MP3 calls t160, 1 fold, Button calls t160, 1 fold, Hero raises to t880, MP1 calls t720, MP3 raises to t4183 (All-In)

What do I think at this point??? :confused:

------------------------------------------
Hand #2

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t6754)
BB (t1425)
UTG (t3490)
UTG+1 (t1958)
MP1 (t1723)
MP2 (t160)
CO (t790)
Button (t1090)

Hero's M: 112.57

Preflop: Hero is SB with K
heart.gif
, A
heart.gif

2 folds, MP1 calls t40, 2 folds, Button bets t160, Hero raises to t560, BB raises to t1425 (All-In), 2 folds

Did I just get 3-bet AGAIN????

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand one, you squeezed with a third of your stack. The open raiser just flats and MP3 shoves. He flatted the raise the first time, but now he's shoving a squeeze? You are either in a flip, have him crushed or he has AK. Just sick if he has AA or KK, which I doubt he would in this spot. Because you squeezed with a third of your stack and the pot already has like 2.6k plus another 1580 for a total of like 4.2k you have to call here.

Hand two, you are getting like 2.5 to 1. If you lose, you are only losing like 20% of your stack, plus you would still have the chip lead at the table. I'd call here as well.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In terms of play, did I play this correctly? Bet too much/over value AK here?

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not crazy with the squeeze from the BB with a bunch of unknowns. Just due to the fact if someone just flats you are OOP on the flop and if you miss what are you going to do? I think the squeeze was a little big, you could probably get away with 500 to 600, save yourself some money if it's a shitty flop. When you start three betting you need to look at your stack, if you are three betting a third of your stack you are pretty much committing to the hand.

The second hand is just the classic Button vs blinds. Again, it's a bunch of unknowns. But you do have a strong hand. So the Button raise is probably just a steal. In a $2 tourney who knows what the BB is thinking. He just saw you stack off with AK the hand before and he might have AQ or worse and think he's good. The three bet there was a little big again. I think you can get away with like 450 to 500 there. Not much less than what you did. So that hand was fine.

Just watch three betting OOP against unknows. You don't have an idea of their range yet and at the $2 level you see these guys call three bets with some weak hands. So again if they just flat your three bet and you miss you are kinda screwed because you are in a three bet pot OOP with a bunch of unkowns. Just be happy that in both situations they shoved over the top and in both situations you had pretty much the right odds to call. I would take them shoving my three bets over them flatting and having to play the pot OOP vs a bunch of unkowns.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you a lot TPC! I'm horrible at poker I'll admit it, I get married to overpairs while knowing my villain could have a set or two pair but still I insist on calling or shoving, I mean it doesn't take a genius to look me up on sharkscope or PTR and see I'm an ATM machine. But, thank you much for your insight.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand one, you squeezed with a third of your stack. The open raiser just flats and MP3 shoves. He flatted the raise the first time, but now he's shoving a squeeze? You are either in a flip, have him crushed or he has AK. Just sick if he has AA or KK, which I doubt he would in this spot. Because you squeezed with a third of your stack and the pot already has like 2.6k plus another 1580 for a total of like 4.2k you have to call here.

Hand two, you are getting like 2.5 to 1. If you lose, you are only losing like 20% of your stack, plus you would still have the chip lead at the table. I'd call here as well.

Stupid question, but what tips you off that he doesn't have AA or KK (or at least makes you doubt he has it)?

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stupid question, but what tips you off that he doesn't have AA or KK (or at least makes you doubt he has it)?

Two reasons. The first is our hero has AK, so the chance of the villain in MP3 having AA or KK is less likely just due to the fact our hero has an A and a K himself.

The second is he is in early position against an UTG raise and he just flats. Which is giving others odds to flat behind. The chances of AA and KK holding up dramatically drops with the more people in the pot. So due to his position you would expect him to three bet the UTG raiser to isolate, which he didn't do. That's why I said it was odd that he flatted the UTG raise, but then shoved on the squeeze, just doesn't make sense.

You would have to ask OP what the guy had, but I would think he had 99 to JJ, AQ. It's a $2 tourney so his range could be some what wider than that.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two reasons. The first is our hero has AK, so the chance of the villain in MP3 having AA or KK is less likely just due to the fact our hero has an A and a K himself.

The second is he is in early position against an UTG raise and he just flats. Which is giving others odds to flat behind. The chances of AA and KK holding up dramatically drops with the more people in the pot. So due to his position you would expect him to three bet the UTG raiser to isolate, which he didn't do. That's why I said it was odd that he flatted the UTG raise, but then shoved on the squeeze, just doesn't make sense.

You would have to ask OP what the guy had, but I would think he had 99 to JJ, AQ. It's a $2 tourney so his range could be some what wider than that.

Ahh ok, makes sense. Thanks!

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st hand I was up against Queens.

2nd Hand was Jacks... TPC is the champ fo sho!

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kinda surprised that he had QQ in the first hand. Would of thought villain would of three bet the UTG raise with QQ as well.