$2 NLHE: $$2 NLHE: 77 in BB facing an UTG raise

FlopIt2Me

FlopIt2Me

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE: $$2 NL HE: 77 in BB facing an UTG raise

I know my call here was probably the worst option preflop. What is the best play here?
I didn't really have a good read on the preflop raiser, but I've seen him raise another pot or two while I was at that table for only about 10 hands.

I was thinking about gambling and shoving, but with my M at about 10 I decided to just call, and if the flop didn't contain an Ace, King, or Queen I would have shoved on the flop. If I have to fold the flop then I'm in push/fold mode.

full tilt poker No-Limit Hold'em, $160 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP1 ($2480)
MP2 ($10755)
MP3 ($5624)
CO ($1185)
Button ($5215)
SB ($5820)
Hero ($2745)
UTG ($1380)
UTG+1 ($4810)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7
heart.gif
, 7
club.gif
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $560, 6 folds, Hero calls $400.

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling PF is a perfectly valid option, but it depends on a host of factors. How has your villain been playing for one, how have you been playing for another, and how well do you play marginal hands after the flop, how close is the money, etc. You can make a case for raising, folding, or calling preflop, so it doesn't make much sense to give you one answer.

By default, no reads, I probably call PF and reevaluate street by street from there based on flop texture, villain's bet sizes, and his likelihood of connecting.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know my call here was probably the worst option preflop. What is the best play here?
I didn't really have a good read on the preflop raiser, but I've seen him raise another pot or two while I was at that table for only about 10 hands.

I was thinking about gambling and shoving, but with my M at about 10 I decided to just call, and if the flop didn't contain an Ace, King, or Queen I would have shoved on the flop. If I have to fold the flop then I'm in push/fold mode.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $160 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP1 ($2480)
MP2 ($10755)
MP3 ($5624)
CO ($1185)
Button ($5215)
SB ($5820)
Hero ($2745)
UTG ($1380)
UTG+1 ($4810)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7
heart.gif
, 7
club.gif
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $560, 6 folds, Hero calls $400.
All I see at the head of this HH is a 160BB, so I'm assuming this was an 80SB/160BB?

If the blinds are what I'm assuming, then your call was just awful.
Your stack is 2745 and the blinds total 240 which would make your "M" around 11 and making that call brings your "M" down to 9 which is push/fold area.
From what I understand about "M" is that if you go below 10, you are in push/fold mode. So by that thought, making a call that would push you below 10 would turn into an all-in move if you decide to play.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in two minds as to whether it's better to shove or fold this. Folding is fine without a decent read though and both are a lot better than calling off that big a chunk of our stack.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOLZ BBQ WTF. Yes.

Perhaps your post-flop game is such that it's a no for you. *shrug*

Question for you then - what's your plan for the hand after you call, and what range are you putting the villain on?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOLZ BBQ WTF. Yes.

Perhaps your post-flop game is such that it's a no for you. *shrug*
Yeah, my postflop game is weak because I have a hard time playing 2nd/3rd pair out of position, especially when I'm not getting odds to set-mine, especially especially when I'm up against a strong hand range from UTG+1.