2 hand v same player

Fat Stu

Fat Stu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As above 2 hand v the same player at different stages of the tourny. My read on this guy is extremely loose, lots of bluffing and playing a wide range of starting hands including a preflop raise with 59off. £10 re-buy tourney and live play so figures may not be accurate.

Hand 1
Blinds 100-200(last period of the re-buy)

Folded round to me on the button, raise to 800 with pocket 8s, SB folds, BB pushes AI for 6k. I have a similiar stack, IIRC i'd have been left with 400. what to do??(will post outcome later)

Hand 2
Blind 800-1600(3 players, player A 20,000chips, Player B 55,000chips Player C (me) 35,000) top 3 get paid 3rd£120 2nd£190 1st£310

player A on the button folds, Player B(sb) raises to 5k total, I have KJoff??

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As above 2 hand v the same player at different stages of the tourny. My read on this guy is extremely loose, lots of bluffing and playing a wide range of starting hands including a preflop raise with 59off. £10 re-buy tourney and live play so figures may not be accurate.

Hand 1

Folded round to me on the button, raise to 800 with pocket 8s, SB folds, BB pushes AI for 6k. I have a similiar stack, IIRC i'd have been left with 400. what to do??(will post outcome later) IMO, loose players who generally raise crap will push all-in with monsters in hopes of getting a call because of the image they have made for themselves.
I would lay this down/

Hand 2
Blind 800-1600(3 players, player A 20,000chips, Player B 55,000chips Player C (me) 35,000) top 3 get paid 3rd£120 2nd£190 1st£310

Hand 1 are commented in red and the rest is related to hand 2. Let him have the blinds, you have alot of chips relative to the blinds(M of 14).
3 handed, when first to act, KJos is not a bad hand to raise with but is horrible to call with IMO, facing a raise by a loose player.
When I face loose players, I generally wait for a strong hand then I usually double-up because of his bad hand selection.

Case in point:
Player had been a rediculously loose player and I knew the only way to have a better chance at beating this loose player was to wait for a strong hand, I had a decent chipstack relative to the blinds and figured I had time to wait and so I wake-up with a good starting hand:

pokerstars Game #24186210468: Tournament #135864650, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2009/01/23 5:12:16 CT [2009/01/23 6:12:16 ET]
Table '135864650 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: ketchincards (18140 in chips)
Seat 3: antiwampe (1825 in chips)
Seat 4: 19_Maximus75 (3105 in chips)
Seat 6: Ray Barbonni (715 in chips)
Seat 8: ptizle (1010 in chips)
Seat 9: Orion469 (2205 in chips)
ptizle: posts small blind 100
Orion469: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Orion469 [Kd Ad]
ketchincards: raises 1600 to 1800
antiwampe: folds
19_Maximus75: folds
Ray Barbonni: calls 715 and is all-in
ptizle: folds
Orion469: raises 405 to 2205 and is all-in
ketchincards: calls 405
*** FLOP *** [6h 8d Qh]
*** TURN *** [6h 8d Qh] [Kh]
*** RIVER *** [6h 8d Qh Kh] [7c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Orion469: shows [Kd Ad] (a pair of Kings)
ketchincards: shows [Th 8c] (a pair of Eights)
Orion469 collected 2980 from side pot
Ray Barbonni: shows [5d 5s] (a pair of Fives)
Orion469 collected 2245 from main pot

Last edited:
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 - how many chips do you get for the rebuy (which I assume is £10)

Hand 2 - KJo is very easily dominated. In this situtation you want to avoid pots with medicore hands against the CL and focus on the SS. Lay it down.

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1

Folded round to me on the button, raise to 800 with pocket 8s, SB folds, BB pushes AI for 6k. I have a similiar stack, IIRC i'd have been left with 400. what to do??(will post outcome later)

I'd be thinking the BB is trying to resteal...he's only really risking 400 more than a call (what you have left) so he probably has either two overs or A-rag... I make the call and if wrong re-buy and probably pick up ~300 more than I had to begin with... if my 8's hold, I'm in much better shape.

Hand 2

Hand 2 - KJo is very easily dominated. In this situtation you want to avoid pots with medicore hands against the CL and focus on the SS. Lay it down.

Jilly, aren't they already three handed and ITM? If so CL could very, very easily just be blind stealing here...the raise is 3400 or around 2BB... do you really fold this and deal with a push from this guy repeatedly?.... but then again, I often "donk out" right here and now by pushing right back :D.... the difference between 1st and 3rd is the 2nd place payout... the difference between 2nd and third... not so much

Last edited:
shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be thinking the BB is trying to resteal...he's only really risking 400 more than a call (what you have left) so he probably has either two overs or A-rag... I make the call and if wrong re-buy and probably pick up ~300 more than I had to begin with... if my 8's hold, I'm in much better shape.

Jilly, aren't they already three handed and ITM? If so CL could very, very easily just be blind stealing here...the raise is 3400 or around 2BB... do you really fold this and deal with a push from this guy repeatedly?.... but then again, I often "donk out" right here and now by pushing right back :D.... the difference between 1st and 3rd is the 2nd place payout... the difference between 2nd and third... not so much
In relation to the second hand, we are dealing with a very loose player, KJ is not a hand you want to go up against a loose player with(based on experience) as any ace you're behind.

Fat Stu

Fat Stu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Re-buy is 1500 chips add on is 3000 chips for £10.

Fat Stu

Fat Stu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Just to add a bit on this, we have been 3 handed for about 20min, with hardley any flops and IIRC no showdowns, lots of button and SB raises by myself and villian to steal pots other player had been almost 2 tight for a game that was 3 handed and was getting the deserved respect for his raises. Any call from Button or SB was being raised by BB and generally giving up by the limper.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1: My default range for calling resteals is 88+, AQ+. Since this is BTN vs. BB and it's an extremely LAG player per your read, call.

Hand 2: Folding KJo three-handed, in position and getting 2-1 on a call is stupid nitty. Call and get it in on a K-high or J-high or QTx flop.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If my stack is well above the buyin I would fold the 88, if I need chips to be able to play after addon periode and can afford the addon I would call.
but I would know it's a flip most likely, and maybe I could even be a huge dog if he has a bigger pocket pairs.

KJ is a fold, however you can call, and if you hit on the flop raise.

I would stick to the fold most of the time, he can raise with an A and you're a dog.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ is a fold, however you can call, and if you hit on the flop raise.

I would stick to the fold most of the time, he can raise with an A and you're a dog.

You realize this means SB should raise you with any two cards, right? We're getting pretty close to direct odds to try to outflop AK.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You realize this means SB should raise you with any two cards, right? We're getting pretty close to direct odds to try to outflop AK.

Yes, BUT Button only have a stack of 20,000 your play is to attack the player who is left on you, he can't call unless he has a big hand. However the player on the right is able to steal from you with the stack size he has, so target of your play here is getting lowest chip stack out of the game, unles you have a very good hand or can see flops cheap.

the pot is 7400 and he is 39% to win against any pair and any A that mean the price should be around 2900 the price is 3400 so it's close but still, tournament game is not cash game, tournament is also about surviving as long as possible.

However i did write, a call is a possible option to see what will pop at the flop.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re-buy is 1500 chips add on is 3000 chips for £10.

I tend to be very aggressive here if there is still time to see 10+ more hands before rebuy period ends, if so I shove here also, chance for a 15K+ stack after add-on vs at worst 4.5K stack.

Hand 2, as has been said we would be behind any pocket pair, any A, KQ and these make up so much of the villains range. With the chip stacks I'd rather get AI when I have a fairly good idea I'm ahead, I don't want to have to be the one that needs to get lucky. If I can be the one to eliminate the SS then I'm almost equal with the CL and then there is a good chance to chop and make another £60 with no risk.

Fat Stu

Fat Stu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose it's result time,

1st hand I folded and he showed AK, TBH I put him on A rag, but he'd had a couple ouf suckouts so I let it go.

2nd hand, positive he was stealing so I shoved AI he called with A 10 and neither of us hit.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, BUT Button only have a stack of 20,000 your play is to attack the player who is left on you, he can't call unless he has a big hand. However the player on the right is able to steal from you with the stack size he has, so target of your play here is getting lowest chip stack out of the game, unles you have a very good hand or can see flops cheap.

the pot is 7400 and he is 39% to win against any pair and any A that mean the price should be around 2900 the price is 3400 so it's close but still, tournament game is not cash game, tournament is also about surviving as long as possible.

However i did write, a call is a possible option to see what will pop at the flop.

The target of our play is to get as many chips as possible; that includes not letting the big stack steal from us by weakly folding hands as strong as KJo, which flip with his range (you're kidding if you think he's only raising pairs and Ax.)

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose it's result time,

1st hand I folded and he showed AK, TBH I put him on A rag, but he'd had a couple ouf suckouts so I let it go.

Because past results should strongly influence current decisions.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The target of our play is to get as many chips as possible; that includes not letting the big stack steal from us by weakly folding hands as strong as KJo, which flip with his range (you're kidding if you think he's only raising pairs and Ax.)

Oki the we agree to disagree on what our main target is, (survival and going after the short stack with as many chips as possible) or (getting more chips trying to fight against a big stack player that can knock us out). Actually it depends on the player and how stong he feels the other 2 players are.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oki,just saw, results are up, and I do think a shove here is in the danger zone, when you have the short stack on the left side, why risk all your chips, against the chipleader, "thinking" he's bluffing, he actually have a very strong hand in a 3 player game.

A call would have been better also seen from the point that YOU wil have position on him after the flop.

If you decide on he's bluffing then maybe you should have tryed this play, a Call then if he checks on the flop, then you can shove if no ace pops, that would make it a strong play, I think.

But we can win them all, so just keep going :) .

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but then again, I often "donk out" right here and now
==============================
3 handed, when first to act, KJos is not a bad hand to raise with but is horrible to call with IMO, facing a raise by a loose player.
When I face loose players, I generally wait for a strong hand then I usually double-up because of his bad hand selection.
In relation to the second hand, we are dealing with a very loose player, KJ is not a hand you want to go up against a loose player with(based on experience) as any ace you're behind.
=================

Major leak identified and fixed!:deal: ...let's see what happens to my ROI now! Thanks to the OP and to all who explained it oh so well!

Fat Stu

Fat Stu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
==============================

=================

Major leak identified and fixed!:deal: ...let's see what happens to my ROI now! Thanks to the OP and to all who explained it oh so well!

A small leak fixed for I think aswell. generally play live nowdays as I prefer the chat feel of the cloth palying with chips and all that jazz. as the only live events i can find are MTT or cash, it's been a while since i played 3 handed. Tried to be too aggresive.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands