$2.5 NLHE MTT: deep stack tourney (15min lvls) -3As utg

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars, $2.50 Buy-in (1,400/2,800 blinds, 280 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players
Have been card dead recently

Villain:31/15 limp10 agro3 - sample 55. He has been 3beting really often last 30 minutes vs me most of time! (hero image TAG)

push/fold?

hero m:7,6

SB: 244,659 (87.4 bb)
BB: 45,780 (16.4 bb)
Hero (UTG+2): 48,968 (17.5 bb)
MP1: 82,283 (29.4 bb)
MP2: 191,993 (68.6 bb)
MP3: 105,157 (37.6 bb)
CO: 72,947 (26.1 bb)
BTN: 404,786 (144.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A
club4.gif
club4.gif

Hero raises to 7,000, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to 14,000, 5 folds, Hero?

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure why you are getting involved with A3 from early position. What was your plan when you the, almost inevitable, 3-bet came? Against this villain I guess you probably have to shove but what if it was one of the tighter players who 3-bet? You can't afford to be raise folding with your stack so why get involved when you don't have to and don't have much of a hand. Being card dead is not an excuse for playing this hand! You still need to fold pre-flop and wait for a better spot... or, if you really can't wait, just shove it all in and give everyone else the decision to make.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another hand and scenario where i think you could have fold pre flop.

But anyways since you have opened, and villain has made a small 3bet then you can peel a flop. Take a chance, if you flop anything that you like, a straight draw or flush draw - donk shove or else check fold. :pcguru:

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
open might be fine if we had more chips, but with 17bb we can't really afford to fool around here too much, since we get called/3bet so often to players left to act behind this is a pretty easy muck preflop.

If we had like 40+BB then i can see an open here

as played pretty simple fold to the 3bet, he's got position, we have a small stack and were not really happy with many flops.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for asnwers - this is how the hand played out on spoiler:

Poker Stars, $2.50 Buy-in (1,400/2,800 blinds, 280 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 244,659 (87.4 bb)
BB: 45,780 (16.4 bb)
Hero (UTG+2): 48,968 (17.5 bb)
MP1: 82,283 (29.4 bb)
MP2: 191,993 (68.6 bb)
MP3: 105,157 (37.6 bb)
CO: 72,947 (26.1 bb)
BTN: 404,786 (144.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A
club4.gif
club4.gif

Hero raises to 7,000, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to 14,000, 5 folds, Hero raises to 48,688 and is all-in, MP2 calls 34,688

Flop: (103,816) 5
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
club4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
Turn: (103,816) 5
club4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
River: (103,816) Q
club4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 103,816 pot
Final Board: 5
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
club4.gif
club4.gif
Q
club4.gif

Hero showed A
club4.gif
club4.gif
and won 103,816 (54,848 net)
MP2 showed K
club4.gif
K
heart4.gif
and lost (-48,968 net)

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning hand is always nice :)

If i saw his KK :vroam:

When the river came :marchmell

But should have not entered this hand at all!

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always nice when you suck out and also learn a lesson at the same time :)

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Muck pre, you should almost never be opening A3s UTG, and obv fold to his 3bet at these stakes, you're always crushed!

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah the first thing I thought before I read any replies is why are you opening early with a weak ace. You're putting yourself in tight spots that way, especially if you're already aware that you have been being 3 bet lately. Wouldn't that tell you not to open light? You might as well as open shoved n prayed. Personally I'm not opening less than AJ+ and TT+ with 17.5 BBs. At this point I'm looking for prime spots and premium hands, never speculative hands in tough spots.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suby Raf actually makes a decent point as well, being that you were only min raised, peeling a flop for 1/7 of ur stack and getting 9 to 1. Actually as played u absolutely HAVE TO CALL! If u had 39o here u would have to call. Still gonna leave u guessing post, but the math is the math n those odds are ridiculous. Not surfeit I'm donk shoving a lot of flops tho. Especially if u think about the way it played out, if u flop an ace then he's prolly gonna shove or make a big bet that u can shove on n either way ur doubling up.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suby Raf actually makes a decent point as well, being that you were only min raised, peeling a flop for 1/7 of ur stack and getting 9 to 1. Actually as played u absolutely HAVE TO CALL! If u had 39o here u would have to call. Still gonna leave u guessing post, but the math is the math n those odds are ridiculous. Not surfeit I'm donk shoving a lot of flops tho. Especially if u think about the way it played out, if u flop an ace then he's prolly gonna shove or make a big bet that u can shove on n either way ur doubling up.

Read up on reverese implied odds it aint just about the odds we get preflop its about our hand equity vs villians range and what happens postflop since were at a pretty severe positional and initiative disadvantage, not to mention how much it is out of our stack size.

But ya, overall i agree with you, just not about the comments above.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, never will call vs this villain OOP stack size like i have! - as played: fold or 4bet, but i think 4bet is slightly better then folding vs this villain! imo

I felt i have some chance that he will give up his range vs 4bet, but i ran into his top range! I really did not expect to see KK there! We are slight underdog vs his 3bet range, since this contains most of time air whatever it could be!

But yeah, fold preflop is safe and our stack is less then 20bb, we can not play fancy really. imo

Thanks for your comments!

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely, you just got lucky in here.

Even lets say you just call, MP2 will continue his bet on the flop and we will likely fold next.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely, you just got lucky in here.

Even lets say you just call, MP2 will continue his bet on the flop and we will likely fold next.

I will never call! And what do you think, what is MP2 3beting range here and do we have chance that he lay down his 3bet vs 4bet?

Villain:31/15 limp10 agro3 - sample 55. He has been 3beting really often last 30 minutes vs me most of time! (hero image TAG)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have a stack size that must be played expertly and cautiously. Very little room for splashing around with mediocre holdings.

Also, the proper response to being 3bet light is to tighten up your raising range and increase your open shoving range. Neither if which would include Ace rag as WiZZiM eluded to with reverse implied odds.

As played, I think you have to fold after he 3bets you. The fact that he has 3bet you several times lately suggests that he might have a real hand this time. Few players will keep attacking the same player with poor cards... Most know that eventually the victim will get fed up and take a stand. In fact, that's probably WHY he just minraised you...to induce you to spew out of frustration.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read up on reverese implied odds it aint just about the odds we get preflop its about our hand equity vs villians range and what happens postflop since were at a pretty severe positional and initiative disadvantage, not to mention how much it is out of our stack size.

But ya, overall i agree with you, just not about the comments above.
I completely get that. Obv I was saying "as played" at that point. I hate speculative hands like that in bad spots. At the same time when I do, if I end up getting crazy odds like 9 to 1 then I basically painted myself into a corner where I have to call.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a stack size that must be played expertly and cautiously. Very little room for splashing around with mediocre holdings.

Also, the proper response to being 3bet light is to tighten up your raising range and increase your open shoving range. Neither if which would include Ace rag as WiZZiM eluded to with reverse implied odds.

As played, I think you have to fold after he 3bets you. The fact that he has 3bet you several times lately suggests that he might have a real hand this time. Few players will keep attacking the same player with poor cards... Most know that eventually the victim will get fed up and take a stand. In fact, that's probably WHY he just minraised you...to induce you to spew out of frustration.
Pretty much perfectly stated. +1. All solid advice.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, never will call vs this villain OOP stack size like i have! - as played: fold or 4bet, but i think 4bet is slightly better then folding vs this villain! imo

I felt i have some chance that he will give up his range vs 4bet, but i ran into his top range! I really did not expect to see KK there! We are slight underdog vs his 3bet range, since this contains most of time air whatever it could be!

But yeah, fold preflop is safe and our stack is less then 20bb, we can not play fancy really. imo

Thanks for your comments!
4 bet shove? N yes I completely get that calling w A3cc OOP is awful but there are spots where I would call against an overly aggressive or spewy opponent and check raise a lot of flops instead of 4 betting pre.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this hand is not good for open shove - given dynamics!

best play for me would be muck the hand preflop! But could not do it -Should have do it!

As played probably should have folded this, to avoid further mistakes!

missjacky "The fact that he has 3bet you several times lately suggests that he might have a real hand this time. Few players will keep attacking the same player with poor cards... Most know that eventually the victim will get fed up and take a stand. In fact, that's probably WHY he just minraised you...to induce you to spew out of frustration."

Yea i am struggling with this, how often he might have it - his top value range? After min-raise i felt i was connected to the pot already and thought we have still fold equity! Seems i readed his min-raise complete wrong and should probably have taken this as made nuts preflop!

Summary what i think should have done: muck preflop! -save yourselfe from hassle!

Thanks for comments!

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure why you are getting involved with A3 from early position. What was your plan when you the, almost inevitable, 3-bet came? Against this villain I guess you probably have to shove but what if it was one of the tighter players who 3-bet? You can't afford to be raise folding with your stack so why get involved when you don't have to and don't have much of a hand. Being card dead is not an excuse for playing this hand! You still need to fold pre-flop and wait for a better spot... or, if you really can't wait, just shove it all in and give everyone else the decision to make.

This exactly ^