$2.5 NLHE MTT: 66 - deepstack/15 min lvls

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars, $2.50 Buy-in (1,800/3,600 blinds, 360 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players

Villain stats: 27/23/limp0/agro:0/hands 15 - fairly new player at this table!

SB: 287,940 (80 bb)
BB: 204,659 (56.8 bb)
UTG+2: 797,106 (221.4 bb)
Hero (MP1): 196,418 (54.6 bb)
MP2: 207,212 (57.6 bb)
MP3: 277,704 (77.1 bb)
CO: 271,743 (75.5 bb)
BTN: 12,627 (3.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 6
spade4.gif
club4.gif

UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to 7,200, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to 20,000, 4 folds, Hero?

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty straightforward fold I would have thought. Villain 3-bet range has you crushed so don't see much to be gained from continuing. Options:

Call to set mine - pretty much giving your chips away as unless you hit then you are out of position with a hand that plays very poorly post flop.

4-bet - maybe this will get through but if you see a call or a 5-bet your chances don't look good.

Shove - not really a serious option with this hand and the current stack sizes.

So... Fold!

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am also leaning towards a fold here. I don't like the spot here to set mine as villain has made it costly.

We could have simply fold pre flop or limped and seen a much cheaper flop assuming villain makes a fairly affordable raise.

This hand is a classic reason why most people simply choose not to raise in that position and make a fold instead. Because if they limp and set mine and after they usually miss, it can be tough to play post flop and win against multiple opponents. And if they open, they face a big 3bet. :banghead:

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack still big and call will be fine for set value, also pot very big. If in postflop you get set, you can win whole stack villain..

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is getting 3:1 to make a call and is 8:1 to make a set on the flop. Not the right odds to call.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't hate the idea of calling for set value here, since this is a long tournament and taking a stack here would be pretty nice result for us, so even if we don't really have the correct odds long term to make a call, i don't mind doing it knowingly in spots like this as it's only 14k out of our stack and the downside of losing those chips isn't really affecting us in the future few orbits that much.

so i dont mind either folding or calling to play for set value here, you can also negotiate postflop sometimes and get to cheap showdowns

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Investing another 12,8 gives you the right odds to pay if you could be sure to double up your stack hitting a set. But this it not clear to me. Oop there is allways the chance to get a free card for your opponent on the flop holding AK or AQs. Therefor a fold is fine here.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably also minraise. Facing a 3bet from an unknown player I tend to just read it straightforwardly until given some other info. You opened in early position; he 3bet. Seems like his range is strong and I would fold. Set mining us not the worst idea since stacks are somewhat deep. Thing is it's hard to extract full value when you set mine OOP vs an unknown. Is he a calling station? Or do you have to slow play and trap him? Tough to know.

Now if I have 200+ hands on him and he is Aggro with a 90+% Cbetting% then I might flat and check raise him on a favorable flop. (Including flops that miss both our ranges) If he has a high 3bet % I might 4bet. But those will be exceptions and either way we don't have enough info.