the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2.25 NL HE: KK Against all in and Call- late tourney

This happened a while ago on the Cake network and I don't have hand history but it's a hand that bugged me

60 peeps left in tourney pays 30ish I am sitting around 18th with 17,000 chips

No Real reads on either only played a few hands (less than 10) on this table, but neither seems a maniac

Blinds 200/400

Player 1 EP position 8000 chips
Player 2 Mid Positon 18500 chips
Hero late Position has 17,000 chips

Hero Dealt KK
Player 1 goes all in
Player 2 calls

Hero ????

Fold
Call
All in

M33K3R

M33K3R

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta shove. What are you gonna do if an ace hits the flop? You gotta shove pre-flop since there is so much dead money and the other player will most likely call. It is a possibility that player two has AA and hopes you'll shove, trying the squeeze play. If the ace does come you cannot fold your hand because you'll have way to good of odds to lay it down.

Passion_play

Passion_play

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All - in!!
Still a long way to go in the tournament.. Chip up :cool:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove for value / graet justice. The money is much too far away for us to think about anything else.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U surely must push all in here.
I don't like calling. You are just giving player 2 a chance to get lucky and outdraw you. You are going to be sick if an ace comes on the flop.
Force him to commit the rest of his chips to the pot when you are almost certain you have the best hand, or fold and waste half his stack.

trashcan

trashcan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never ever fold KK in online tournament, as simple as that

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did not fold I merely called:eek: :eek:

My thoughts were if an Ace does hit I can fold :eek: :eek: pretty weak

Flop comes A Q x (rainbow)

Player 2 All in for approx 8000 more

Hero ???

C

chipshuffler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always shove in that situation. Theres no way you can put someone on AA in an online tournament when you have no reads on the players you are playing with. If u can get to HU thats great....just unlucky if an A does pop up on the board. But always shove with KK pre in that situation. DO NOT FOLD

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know why all the advice is telling you to shove all in when you can call here and let it go if there's an A on the flop. There's a good chance Player 2 had AK, AQ, or QQ. So now you get to decide if you think he has an A or QQ. This is a tourney, not a cash game.

There's nothing wrong with saving some of your chips in a situation like this. I get beat way too often with KK against AA, but it's usually because I'm making a move and can't let it go. At least here you don't have to commit all your chips since Player 2 didn't raise before flop.

I may be in the minority, but I think calling here was the right thing to do.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know why all the advice is telling you to shove all in when you can call here and let it go if there's an A on the flop.

For a few reasons:

1 - If the villain has Ax, we want him to get all his chips in against us because we're a massive favourite. There are loads of worse hands in his range (TT+ / AQ+ at the least) that pretty much have to call us given the pot odds, AA is the only thing we're afraid of.

2 - If we just call and an ace doesn't flop (which will be the case more often than not) we're going to have a hard time getting any more chips out of the villain unless he has us beat some other way.

3 - Calling a bet for half our stack with the intention of folding an Axx flop just makes me want to cry. Whatever the flop is we'll be getting what, about 4:1 on a call if the villain pushes? That makes it really, really hard to lay the hand down even if an ace comes.

4 - The money is still a long way away and we'll still need to take some risks and accumulate a bunch of chips in order to have a deep run. If there's a better spot than this to get our money in with a chance to double-and-a-bit up, I don't know what it is.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not fold I merely called:eek: :eek:

My thoughts were if an Ace does hit I can fold :eek: :eek: pretty weak

Flop comes A Q x (rainbow)

Player 2 All in for approx 8000 more

Hero ???
Ax/QQ have you beat here, You have to fold, but I am with the majority here when I say a shove over the all-in preflop would have been the right move as you are ahead most of the time.