$2.20 NLHE: Short Stack UTG w/ TT, What to do?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2.20 NL HE: Short Stack UTG w/ TT, What to do?

I really feel that my short stack play sucks these days.

Previous orbit I had been knocked down to this stack size when QQ<AQ AIPF against MP3 a 45/6 player.

With an M=6.4 is shoving TT preflop from UTG standard? Would a normal raise to 875 be better? 1000? If I raise should I still be committed to get AIPF here? Do I shove any flop? only undercard flops?

$2.20 Buy-in (125/250 blinds, 25 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Poker Tools by Stoxpoker

UTG+1: 10,015 (40.1 bb)
MP1: 4,577 (18.3 bb)
MP2: 5,010 (20 bb)
MP3: 16,960 (67.8 bb)
CO: 6,079 (24.3 bb)
BTN: 7,698 (30.8 bb)
SB: 9,843 (39.4 bb)
BB: 5,550 (22.2 bb)
Hero (UTG): 3,830 (15.3 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is UTG with T
club.gif
T
spade.gif

Hero ??

ericgarner118

ericgarner118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think with your Stack as low as it is, and the fact that everyone just saw you take a pretty bad beat, a shove preflop would probably be a pretty good move. How had the table been playing before this hand? Was it more of a tight or loose table?

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at these blind levels i might try a raise of 2.5x the blind. but whats normal for he table maybe better. but in this hand your way out of position if someone calls and TT doesn't play so well post flop so being close to my shove point(13BB's) and such a good hand i would shove pre. the main factor here is the position if you wer on the button or CO i may of made it 675 to go. as far as being comitted i would say you were comitted till 1/3 your stack goes in. so a raise pre then any action post flop and your commited so i would say only one over flop jack i would commit had i raised pre.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gotta hate being the short stack man

so many hands you could play and so many tough decisions you gotta make on your own. i thought you played the hand fairly well though

sorry bout the outcome

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How had the table been playing before this hand? Was it more of a tight or loose table?

The table was fairly loose as evidenced by the 45/6 MP3 but there were also 2 tight players ~11/6 and I was a 17/12 up to this point.

at these blind levels i might try a raise of 2.5x the blind. but whats normal for he table maybe better. but in this hand your way out of position if someone calls and TT doesn't play so well post flop so being close to my shove point(13BB's) and such a good hand i would shove pre. the main factor here is the position if you wer on the button or CO i may of made it 675 to go. as far as being comitted i would say you were comitted till 1/3 your stack goes in. so a raise pre then any action post flop and your commited so i would say only one over flop jack i would commit had i raised pre.

For me, once antes kick in, I have a problem with a 2.5xBB raise in EP as it is really just a pot sweetener as it gives the LP players good odds to play a wider range of hands. I very rarely see an EP 2.5xBB raiser take down a pot preflop once antes start. Heck it's even hard for a 3.5xBB EP raiser to take down a pot as LP players are constantly floating with as wide as top50% hands.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against a real nit you would not automaticly be pot committed after an initial raise.
You write that 2 players are tight and the rest players love to re-raise weak.
Go with your feeling. How would the others react to a shove? How would they react to a raise?

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, with the M so low this is a shove. I shove this with an M up to 10 just because it is TT and a raise to 2.5 just makes things very awkward with action preflop or OOP on a flop with overs. Plus, on a flop with overs the small pairs and missed AK, AQ get away.

R

RightMeow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree with the first assessment. Table has probably seen you as a tight player and take a bad beat... might think you are steaming. I wouldnt do a standard raises just because if its a bad flop, you have committed another 1/3rd or your stack. NOt saying you couldnt come back from that, put you should be prepared to push with a starting hand like that.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
especially since you are "steaming" since you took a bad beat, you're committing about 1/4 your chip stack on a raise but youre potentially inviting gamblers due to table image. if you are gonna play this preflop i would shove it in