ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2.20 NL HE: QQ v aggressive person

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 31/22/3

Mid way thru a MTT, i'm doin pretty well. My image is very tight/aggressive. Been watchin this guy (MP3) playin pretty LAG and i've noticed he's been caught bluffin once and has folded on the turn/river.

poker stars, $2.20 Buy-in (50/100 blinds) NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

CO: 43.2 bb
BTN: 4.5 bb
Hero (SB): 65.4 bb
BB: 24.2 bb
UTG: 11.3 bb
UTG+1: 16.3 bb
MP1: 4.4 bb
MP2: 25.2 bb
MP3: 87.3 bb

Pre-Flop: Hero is SB with Q
diamond.gif
Q
club.gif

4 folds, MP3 raises to 3 bb, CO folds, BTN raises to 4.5 bb and is all-in, Hero raises to 9 bb, BB folds, MP3 calls 6 bb

Flop: (23.5 bb) 5
diamond.gif
club.gif
diamond.gif
(3 players, 1 is all-in)
Hero checks, MP3 bets 4 bb, Hero raises to 16 bb, MP3 calls 12 bb

Turn: (55.5 bb) 6
club.gif
(3 players, 1 is all-in)
Hero checks, MP3 bets 19 bb

Should i of shoved pre-flop to protect?

N what the hell do i do on the turn?

cjay142

cjay142

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Idk about shoving pre, but I definitely like a bigger 4b, somethin around 15 - 20 bbs would be a little better, he's getting decent odds w/ only a 9bb raise.

It's hard to understand villain's line here. He only bets 4bb on flop and flats the ck/r, but then leads out for 19 bb on turn? I don't understand why he wouldn't get it in if he had a strong hand on the flop and I don't see that 6 making many of his hands.

If my math's correct you're left w/ 40 bbs, i.e. a min raise to his 19 bb bet. I think you jam here and he probably shows up w/ Axd or a smaller PP most of the time.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't understand either of the lines here.

1) Why the min-raise pre-flop? Were you purposely trying to bring MP3 along? If so you accomplished it. If not you need a larger raise to isolate as cjay says.
2) It appears that you purposely set to c/r here but again why the small bet? If you thought you were ahead, shove here as MP3 has already shown he'll call. If you were not sure that you are ahead then call and get to showdown.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes as states above definitely pop it to ~20 preflop, but I think a shove would have been too much over a 4.5BB all in

As played, I am guessing you are ahead here based on his stats as an "laggro" and would feel comfortable shoving on top of him

Duccleman

Duccleman

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a raise of 15-20bb preflop should have defined MP3's hand for you.
After the turn I would say there is a good chance you are still ahead. I would put him on a mid PP with a possible picked up draw. His bet looks like a stopper bet. If he hit a set on the flop I can't see him not reraising.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with only the minimum raise pf to 9bb your giving him the odds to call. better to go 20bb to determine the strength of his hand and if he bet on the flop probably a shove. but dont min raise against an inital raiser and an all-in unless you have a good reason why

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nitty technical point: 9bb preflop isn't a minraise. Agree that we oughta be making it bigger though seeing as how 1: we likely have the best hand and we want to make money off it and 2: if MP3 folds then we won't have to make any difficult decisions and that's OK too.

I'm OK with the check-raise on the flop, again, our raise needs to be bigger. We've made it four times the villain's bet, but we've ignored the pot size. It's now only 12 for him to call in a 43.5 pot so we're laying a fantastic price for draws of all types to come along. And this flop looks good for all kinds of suited connector / suited gapper hands that are likely in his range.

Making any kind of bet that gives him the wrong odds commits our stack at that point, so I'd be happy enough just shoving. If he sticks around with a draw so be it, he's made a mistake. If he folds, we've gotten some dead money out of him.

All I'm realistically worried about here is sets, and I think a LAG probably bets them bigger because 1: he'll want value and 2: he should be a little worried about the draws on the board. Unless he's doing that stupid thing some people do where they bet their big hands small when there's a player all in because they're afraid betting big will give their hand away as a monster and make everything but the nuts fold.

Anywho:

As played, on the turn... I'm not liking our hand so much and that 6c looks like a bad card for us. Realistically though, it only helps two specific hands: 97 and 43. Does 43 really open preflop then stay involved after a small shove and a four-bet though? Even in the hands of a LAG, I'm thinking not. 97 is possible I guess. But for the most part, I think if we were ahead on the flop we're likely still ahead on the turn and we just shove the rest in.

I don't like shoving preflop, BTW. Stacks are just too deep, we're only ever going to get called by better hands and we lose a bunch of value that could be gained by making a more reasonable bet then shoving flops like the one we got.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lookin on the reply's, i realy should of raised to the 15-20BB range to push him out, since i dont realy wanna see a 3-way flop with QQ. best to get them HU and hope for the best.

But the MP3 buy called with 55 and flopped a set. I realy should of folded on the turn as smaller sets and straights were kind of his range, since he had a VP$IP of 33 that kinda puts him under LAG IMO.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lookin on the reply's, i realy should of raised to the 15-20BB range to push him out, since i dont realy wanna see a 3-way flop with QQ.

Results-oriented thinking, IMO.

The thing is, this isn't a genuine three-way flop. The button is all in for a small amount and even when you only raised to 9 before the flop, the side pot is almost as big as the main pot.

I make it more like 12-15 before the flop because I'd still like hands that we're ahead of (like AJ, smaller pairs, suited connectors) to give me some value. If they fold so be it but I'd at least like the chance to get more money out of them.