$2.20 NLHE MTT: What is the Best Play here?

doulikewaffles

doulikewaffles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Stars - $2.00+0.20 Tournament (#347588019) - Blinds: 200/400 No Limit Hold'em (8 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $17234
BB Hero: $11043
UTG: $4009
MP: $34410
MP+1: $10726
MP+2: $42611
CO: $65933
BTN: $25833

Pre-flop: ($600) Hero is BB and dealt :jc4: :js4:
UTG raises $3959, MP calls $3959....???

I want to hear what the best play is here and why. I will post results later.

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You happen to leave out ALL relevent information to this hand...

How did the MP+1 thru SB act? Is this some wierd game where the next person to act after the MP is the BB? Do you have any reads on the villian? The caller?

If you are acting after MP I would fold and figure out why I am playing this game.

doulikewaffles

doulikewaffles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folded around back to me in the BB. No real reads, just got move to the table.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You happen to leave out ALL relevent information to this hand...

How did the MP+1 thru SB act? Is this some wierd game where the next person to act after the MP is the BB? Do you have any reads on the villian? The caller?

If you are acting after MP I would fold and figure out why I am playing this game.

clearly MP+1 thru SB all folded and thanks to the chart up top you can see this is 8 handed so there were 5 people to act before it got to us.

I have to imagine that the caller would have tried to isolate if he had an average hand so I think under pairs are out. I think that at best you are going to be 50 50 right here if you are not crushed. Unless the caller is a weak player who has been pretty passive I have to put him on a hand that has you beat. If he is weak and would call with 9's or AK then you have to ask yourself if 28BB is really worth a 50 50 shot. I would fold here because J's may look pretty but they are a middle pair so they should be played as if they were 9's or 10's and I would definately not make this call with 9's.

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
clearly MP+1 thru SB all folded and thanks to the chart up top you can see this is 8 handed so there were 5 people to act before it got to us.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion or how it is at all clear. You making an assumption is one thing...

Sorry OP didn't mean to come off as an attack on you. Must have been a rough morning at work :cool:

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd have to lay this down. UTG shoves by short stacks are either a wide range or really tight but without reads you can't tell which. MP flatting with 2 larger stacks still to act is troublesome, either a donk or a big hand hoping for a squeeze, again w/o a read who knows. With our position we could try a stop-n-go but our stack size doesn't fit and we can't call/fold 1/3 of our stack if the flop has overs. With the lack of info on the players I'd sigh and fold.

T

TopDonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
def a tough spot. I think without reads we can fold but its close imo. These spots are why making reads are so important.

L

liguolong

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This depends on the which stage is the tournament and how close you are to money and what is the prize structure. On bubbel, you should probably fold this. In most other cases, a shove is ok.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well MP can be doing an invite, with a semi decent hand, to other big stacks to help try and take the low stacked player out.

I don't think he's that strong, however JJ is not that strong either if overcards hits the board or if we're in very bad shape vs AA, KK, QQ ...

I think we have to let this one go, when we have no reads, mostly because it's UTG position that is shoving.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's just me but this seems like a shove. I would usually assume a player to be bad until they prove to me otherwise, so I don't think you can assume UTG is shoving very tight, nor can you say that MP is trapping. So it's unlikely you're getting crushed. Obviously you're going to be going to showdown here, but if you can get MP to fold (although that's somewhat unlikely because he's getting pretty good odds, but again, you can't assume the villain will figure this out), then you've just bought ~t4,000 of dead money. If he does end up calling, then you will have risked your t11,000 to win t26,000, and if you do figure that neither player is all that good I think that's a fine risk, considering how important it is that you build and maintain a stack in a MTT. I also wouldn't really consider a different play if we were on the bubble.