$2.10 NLHE MTT Bounty: Call or Fold after big bounty small stack shove and re shove

M

Murraydan17

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$2.10 NLHE MTT Bounty: Call or Fold after big bounty small stack shove and re shove

PreFlop
UTG+1 6BB, but 5x bounty as anyone else. All - in
Folds to SB, he Jams, covers Me
I have 8s8c, and 26 BB and Call

I bust out to the SB who has KJs, flop goes KK7.

Was this a bad move? I'm a bit better than average stack, ITM already and being aggressive to try and chip up for FT. Also his massive bounty made it a hard fold, as I figured the SB would be shoving wide to get me off. Also if you were the SB with KJs, would you have re jammed also?

Thoughts?

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of this depends on how big the bounty is compared to the prize pool and how far you are from the serious money in the top few spots. Those things help determine the value of your stack if you fold vs. the value of getting all-in.

Without answers to those questions though, I like your play. And if I were the SB I would absolutely be jamming in that spot, so against a reasonably competent player you should be calling with 88 because you should have more than enough equity against his range.

Against a solid player, I think his reshove might actually cap his range, especially if he thinks that you are a good player. Against a smart aggressive player, I might flat here with my biggest hands, and maybe even balance that by flatting with a few of my weakest calling hands like smaller connectors or hands like Q2s. Then if you reshove, I can fold the hands that are crushed and call with my monsters. But I would never flat anything in the middle like A9s or 77, so the reshove from certain players might mean that his range does not include any monsters. This is probably not applicable to a smaller buy-in tournament like this, but it's something interesting to think about.

You might also consider the value of your stack in terms of ROI. Are you way more skilled than anyone else and playing a great structure where there is a very good chance that you will make a super deep run? If either of those questions is a no, then your call was almost definitely correct.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think against one opponent with a short stack, it's definitely a call-push. But against two opponents, the situation changes. I play fold with a 26bb stack with 88. But there's also a huge bounty, and this factor swings the scales in favor of calling push. As a result, you played correctly. With a pair 88 were a little ahead.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way to analyse PKO hands is to convert the bounty to chips. So its not quite enough to know, that UTG had "5 times the bounty of everyone else". What we need to know are the following:

* His chip stack
* The starting stack of the tournament
* The value of his bounty
* The buyin of the tournament

In this case the buyin was 2$, and if for instance the starting stack was 5.000 chips, then a 1$ bounty is worth 2.500 chips, and a 5$ bounty is worth 12.500 chips. These numbers refer to the part of the bounty, which you are actually rewarded, not the part added to your own bounty. Whatever the number is, you essentially view it as an extra ante in the pot and determine your true pot odds.

With all this being said it was likely a big bounty relative to the size of UTGs stack, and this will also mean, that SB is getting it in much wider, than he would without the bounty. So most likely calling with 88 was completely fine, and dubbling your stack would also increase your chance of winning further bountys. In a PKO we should rarely shy away from playing a "flip", whereas in normal tournaments ICM play a larger role.

Folding in Poker