18 outs

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the final hand from a sit and go, and we'd been heads-up for ages. Little did I know it but I had 18 outs here, making me 61% to win despite not having a pair. Interestingly it makes hardly any difference to the odds whether he has the pair of 2s or not - I'm 62% against just overcards. I doubted he had the Ace, not having raised, which meant his bet was a bluff or he had a 6 or a 2. Against a pair of sixes or aces, or any overpair, I'm still 47% to win with my straight and flush draws, which are pretty good odds for putting him all-in. Just thought I'd post as an interesting hand.

Hand 879482473, Started at 08/20/2006 8:59 PM
Table 'Claremont': 20-20 No Limit HE (TournamentChips)

Seat 5: Bombjack_x (10,300 in chips) (on the button)
Seat 9: Egz3pac (4,700 in chips)

*** Blind Bet Round *** :
Dealt to Bombjack_x: :5h4: :3h4:
Bombjack_x : Post Blind (300)
Egz3pac : Post Blind (600)
*** Pre-Flop *** :
Bombjack_x : Call (300)
Egz3pac : Check
*** Flop *** : :6d4: :2h4: :ah4:
Egz3pac : Bet (600)
Bombjack_x : Raise (3,000)
Egz3pac : All In (4,100)
Bombjack_x : Call (1,100)
*** Turn *** : [ :6d4: :2h4: :ah4: ] :ac4:
*** River *** : [ :6d4: :2h4: :ah4: :ac4: ] :3d4:
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: 9,400 | Rake: 0
Bombjack_x bet 4,700, collected 9,400, net 4,700 Shows [ :5h4: :3h4: ] (two pairs, Aces and threes)
Egz3pac lost 4,700 Shows [ :2c4: :jd4: ] (two pairs, Aces and twos)

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that is one for the history books.;) Nice suck out, though, even if you were the favorite. At least your cards were sooted and one gapped. I'm surprised he didn't raise from the BB with J2o. :eek: :D

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call with pretty much any 2 cards from the SB heads-up, if opponent isn't raising too much. (Not sure if this is good strategy - I haven't read Harrington Vol 2 yet - I'm sure he has something to say about this...) I throw away total junk like 72 but suited connectors are definitely worth a call...

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bombjack said:
I call with pretty much any 2 cards from the SB heads-up, if opponent isn't raising too much. (Not sure if this is good strategy - I haven't read Harrington Vol 2 yet - I'm sure he has something to say about this...) I throw away total junk like 72 but suited connectors are definitely worth a call...

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't really faulting you (although I guess it could have sounded that way). Heads up play is a totally different animal that any other situation in poker. I was somewhat serious when I said at least your were sooted and one-gapped. My guess is, a standard raise and he would have folded.

And, by the way, Harrington volume 2 is great. I am in process of rereading it again right now.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just about finished HoH2, and basically he states that it's never a bad play to call from the SB - especially if you've got a good chance of seeing a flop. You're always getting odds to call with any hand from the SB, and 72 is no exception. Heads up I'm playing this hand VERY aggressively, hoping to take down the pot immediately, or win at showdown. I don't think you played it wrong at all.

S

Spongetoe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just about finished HoH2, and basically he states that it's never a bad play to call from the SB - especially if you've got a good chance of seeing a flop. You're always getting odds to call with any hand from the SB, and 72 is no exception. Heads up I'm playing this hand VERY aggressively, hoping to take down the pot immediately, or win at showdown. I don't think you played it wrong at all.
He also points out that 72o is no longer the worst drawing hand heads up. It becomes 23o as a pair of 7s is now a very playable hand.;)

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He also points out that 72o is no longer the worst drawing hand heads up. It becomes 23o as a pair of 7s is now a very playable hand.;)
This is a very good point, IMO. It's very interesting how endgame play really differs so much from the normal, full table play. Do we have any good posts about end game play on the site? I looked a little, but didn't see anything.

This might be a good topic for someone to ramble on about. Maybe I'll look into it for my 1000th post if no one else has gotten to it.:D