$16 STT - River fun with A9

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is pretty fun if only for the fact that one doesn't get to make a lot of river decisions in turbo donkngos. Villain is 35/7/2.1 and seems pretty bad (shock horror). PF/Flop is pretty standard, thoughts on turn (I feel obliged to call a 1/8th PSB tbh and bluffshoving seems like huge spew so I think the call is standard if awkward) and river? River is only 1460 into a 3700 pot, but are we good often enough here?

Stacks:
BTN with 1190
SB with 3995
BB with 3260
UTG with 1575
MP with 3480

hand.pl

Blinds: 100/200
Site: pokerstars
Dealt to MP:A♥ 9♠
Sklansky group 8
Preflop:
1 players fold.
Hero raises 400 to 600
2 players fold.
BB calls [400]
Total folds this street: 3
Potsize: 1300
Flop: 5♥ 3♣ J♠
BB: checks Hero bets [800]
BB calls [800]
Potsize: 2900
Turn: 6♣
BB bets [400] Hero calls [400]
Potsize: 3700
River: 9♦
BB bets [1460] [ all-in ] Hero ???

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't normally play these limits. Is the bubble past?

I don't think you can fold here. If as you said the player is not very good a river shove on a brick card would indicate to me a bluff, and even if the 9 did help him most likely you will still win when he turns of K9. You are only worried about an over pair 10's most likely and a J. I think it is more likely a A5 or A3 hand and he let you catch up.

N

NevRcall

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Please excuse my poor english.

All double pair possibilities are trash hands like 59 / 39 and so on. Depends on how the BB considers you, and if hes really able to call oop with those kinds of hands.

You ve got a check/call flop, suck bet / blocking bet turn, and all-in river. This suits for 78. But that's all. A J wouldn't be played like this hum? So bluff range (or semi) is large enough to make you call for > 3 to 1 odds.

I normally play on lower BI, but it might work as well.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*raises eyebrows*

Ouch. Agree with everything before the river. I don't really see how we can fold against an awful player for just 400 on the turn either, and bluff-shoving does seem suicidal.

By the river I figure there's only a few groups of hands we can be up against - weak aces that paired their kicker, jacks with an average kicker, and bluffs. Maybe a medium pair in the hole too.

Trouble is, unless they're really REALLY bad I don't really see anything other than the jack shoving the river - it feels to me like they've put you on about the hand you have (or maybe better - AT/AQ, maybe KQ), played TPWK up to the river in mortal fear of an overcard, then figured they're good when the overcard doesn't come.

I could be way off, but I don't really see how we can call this.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please excuse my poor english.

All double pair possibilities are trash hands like 59 / 39 and so on. Depends on how the BB considers you, and if hes really able to call oop with those kinds of hands.

You ve got a check/call flop, suck bet / blocking bet turn, and all-in river. This suits for 78. But that's all. A J wouldn't be played like this hum? So bluff range (or semi) is large enough to make you call for > 3 to 1 odds.

I normally play on lower BI, but it might work as well.
There's nothing wrong with your English--and I agree:p

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
before results, fwiw i fold here. We peeled the turn so that we could reach a relatively cheap showdown with our ace or maybe spike a pair and still reach a cheap showdown. The 9 on the river is kind of irrelevant imo since pairing our 9 doesn't really change our hand to 1 that beats a bigger range here than ace high. I don't see villain doing this with <9's so we basically have no choice but to fold unless your read is that he his bluffing. If you would call here with ace high then call, but i fold since our dream of reaching cheap showdown has been shattered.

(It's been a while since i've played sng's/anything other than HU, so my ranges could be wrong)

vincemcnabb

vincemcnabb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call....the guy acted extremely weak and the pot is big enough for the call size to be acceptable

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lole late results.

i made a herocall based on "plays that make no sense are usually bluffs", villain had AQ, ship the monies.

i guess my main concern at the time was that the turn bet was a sucker bet with a huge hand to make it more likely he could get me to call a river shove, but then i remembered that villain wasn't really good enough at poker to be doing that.

if villain was a good player (or as close to a good player as you can get at $6s), I probably fold river or maybe even turn if he takes this exact same line. then again, a good player, despite what i just said probably doesn't take this line ever, so it all gets a little paradoxical.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His turn bet really confused me; unless he thinks that you c-bet and now are folding to anything.

After the turn he guesses you have nothing and he has a good nothing. Then he reads the nine as a safe card, though why he shoves if he thinks he has a better nothing is beyond me. Maybe he's bluffing out AK/AQ.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After the turn he guesses you have nothing and he has a good nothing. Then he reads the nine as a safe card, though why he shoves if he thinks he has a better nothing is beyond me. Maybe he's bluffing out AK/AQ.

Fishes tend to shove medium hands thinking they get called by weaker hands and fold stronger ones. Then they're usually very disappointed when villains do the exact opposite. :D