$150 NLHE MTT: In the cut off with 56o, should i raise short stacks blind?

M

mikeg7723

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
blinds are 250/125(25 antes) , BB has 8BB's, button and SB have roughly 30BB's. i have 120BB's. BB is very tight and the table is over pretty tight. should i be raising there and keeping up pressure in those situations?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep for sure. Raise it up. Bbs tight and it wouldnt matter to us if we raise called with 72 offsuit. We would still have 110 bbs to play with..

S

scooba13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
blinds are 250/125(25 antes) , BB has 8BB's, button and SB have roughly 30BB's. i have 120BB's. BB is very tight and the table is over pretty tight. should i be raising there and keeping up pressure in those situations?

Is your plan to bet 2.5x and fold to a reraise or shove from the button or SB but call the shove from the BB?

That seems like a reasonable line - especially if the table is full since the antes give you another 175 chips to steal. If the BB puts in his other 7BBs then you have 1,000 from him plus your 625 plus 125 + 175 = 1,925 and you need to put in another 475 to call the shove - good enough odds to call with any 2 cards.

But.... if you think the shove is inevitable then you're really risking 1,000 chips to win another 1,300 which makes it much closer with a 6 high as you need to win about 43% of the time to break even.

The question is partly about how much fold equity you have and what is the risk of the 30BB stacks getting involved - if your read is that there's a good chance they'll all fold (including the BB) then raise. If they're sick of your bullying and likely to play back at you, you want to have hand that you're happy risking 30BB with.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intereting spot this.

If BB wasn't so tight, I'd opt for a fold but for sure would raising 78s+ just because it plays well enough if shoved on and we have more than enough equity with any sort of hand to a degree with the dead money in the pot and it representing such a very small percentage of our stack.

Agree with WiZZiM that we should open though given how tight you say the BB is. I don't think I'd go as bad as opening 72o though even though he's very tight. I mean this hand just plays terrible if called by BTN or SB or even if they fold and BB decides to shove. We lol, still have to call it off with 72o and show down this terrible hand.

Given our stack size though we should be opening as close to 100% of hands though.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes this is a great bullying spot and applying pressure constantly to the players to our left is a great idea, because we have the stack size to do so. This should also be an easy fold once we get shoved on by either the button or small blind, however if their 3bet sizing is small then i don't mind peeling off the flop.:)

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do we have to call off 72o tho?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do we have to call off 72o tho?

Well we don't although we will be making a mistake raising to then fold to start with with 72o vs even a tight BB shoving range if we wasn't planning on calling of 100% of our hands we open vs him, it's like so little of our stack that it has zero to little effect on our stack size and losing another 7bb has little effect whilst gaining another 11b also has little effect but slightly better advantage. We don't gain nor lose any playability by calling or folding given our huge our stack size is compared to average.

Even if we give BB a shoving range of 12% which is going to be very tight anyway to start with, we're getting 3-1 on a call and only need 25% vs that range (assuming we're even opening 2x and not 2.5x/3x) and we have exactly that. I think vs his whole range though we just have even better equity so we just have to call it off just because of all the dead money and folding just gives him like a 50% stack increase without showdown which seems pretty bad on our part.

I mean it can work both ways, we fold and don't show down 72o so for anyone observant they see we open, get 3-1 on a call and fold just shows exactly how wide we're opening and folding in this spot.

We call, show down 72o, have to tighten up our range but at the same time, we can stack of lighter vs people who know how wide we have been opening.

I just think personally, I'd just fold in this spot because I'd hate to raise/fold vs the BB.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry. Didnt mean that id jam 72o. But I was just making the point that losing the pot if the tight bb plays back isnt a big deal at all.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you can since youre the chip leader but dont do it all the time.

Someone would stand up and play back at you sooner or later.

C

cyclone45

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
56 o is a fold for me unless I'm like 3 handed

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have deep stack, its not mean what you need play trash hands, effective stack 30bb , so fold 56o...

the_wonk

the_wonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If bb wasn't tight I don't like raising since he should be jamming way light and you're stuck calling off in a marginal spot with 6 high for 8 BBs often.

But if he's tight, sure, steal away.