Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
This is from another Day 1 tournament, level 4:

SB has 21 hands played and this stats: VPIP 48, PFR 33, Limp 0, Cold Call 25, 3-Bet 11, and Post Flop AGG 3

My stats on GGPoker for this tournament after 21 hands show a VPIP 14 PFR 13

Pre-flop: I decided to raise standard and get called, at this point I think that he calls with almost any 2 hands.

Loose

Flop: He checks and I c-bet pretty much standard in my opinion, and then he raise me. Now I'm thinking Qx, 75, any ♣️x hands :):kc4::jc4::9c4::6c4::8c4:), but I am not folding here since against him would be a too tight fold so I call.

Turn: Now I'm thinking why shove if you have a made hand, is he targeting exactly what I have? I'm thinking that he can have a set, a small flush or he has Q10 and doesn't want another ♣️. But why shove this turn and not let me bet since you now that I have a strong starting hand.

What do you guys think and do if you where here?

GGPoker, Hold'em No Limit - 50/100 (12 ante) - 8 players

UTG: 9,857 (99 bb)
UTG+1: 3,185 (32 bb)
MP: 15,458 (155 bb)
MP+1: 14,182 (142 bb)
CO: 20,967 (210 bb)
BU: 9,330 (93 bb)
SB: 6,909 (69 bb)
BB (Hero): 10,112 (101 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(246) Hero is BB with A Q
5 players fold, BTN raises to 200, SB calls 150, Hero 3-bets to 632, 1 fold, SB calls 432

Flop: (1,560) Q 7 5 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 796, SB raises to 2,200, Hero calls 1,404

Turn:
(5,960) T (2 players)
SB bets 4,065 (all-in), Hero ?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Pre-flop:
There are a few options here:
You could only call to not risk to play a big pot OOP since you're all so deep and they could have implied odds against you.
When you 3-bet, you can do 4x since OOP, with a caller maybe even 4,5-5x the bet but you're all so deep, so idk if I want to play a big pot OOP.

Nice that BN fold, so you have position now.

SB obviously likes to call, so I agree on your range assumptions.

Flop:
You hit TP + nut flush draw, so obviously a nice flop for you.
I'd usually tend to (c-)bet more towards 1/3 of pot.
He raises to full pot, so that definitely indicates a strong made hand. Either two pair or a small flush would be my guess.

Since you have TPTK and the strong flush draw, I can see why you called.

Turn:
Unfortunately no 4th chub for you.
Now he jams. I assume it's for protection. If he has a small flush or two pair of a different suit he definitely doesn't want to see another river card which might be another chub or another card of the same rank, which crushes his (low) two pair.

I can see why he played this way as he was the flop aggressor and he doesn't want to let you see a free card and improve your hand.

So I guess I'd fold here.

But maybe I'm also too nitty. 😅

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-betting is definitely the right play here, but your sizing is way to small. Normal sizing out of position is 4X, and here there was a field caller, which you should add, meaning your 3-bet should have been to around 1.000 rather than just 632.

Flop
Great flop for you, so I would also C-bet, but since you block the main draw, I might go a bit smaller. When he check-raise, you have an easy call. You could jam, but that would shut out any bluffs, and since you have the nut draw, there are very few bad turn cards for you.

Turn
He jam, which kind of suck, but I think, this hand is just to strong to fold. With TPTK you beat any wild bluffs or stupidly overplayed hands, which someone with those stats could definitely have. And if you are behind, you always have at least 7 outs, and you are getting better than 2:1.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop: I also think it is better to 3 bet here but only because this open is made by button which is wide and with just a call from SB I think we can get some folds by 3 betting here but the sizing needs to be bigger. At least 1k if not a little more as even though we have AQ its still a hand that I am not loving playing a big pot out of position with (assuming button is the caller) even though I think we are way ahead of a typical button open range here and any range SB has where they just flat. If this open was made by middle position or EP I think I would lean to call based on pot control and not wanting to play a huge pot out position against hands that could be beating me.

Flop: This is a fantastic flop so of course this is a bet for value here. I think in game I go smaller than you but minimally. I would make a regular size c bet for me since I would not want to raise any eyebrows or get anyone really thinking. My sizing would be just under half so your sizing here to me is fine. You could also go smaller if you wanted to. I don't like getting raised here (even though I said we have the best hand a lot) because I just feel like being the 3 bettor that villain wouldn't try to much crap with me if my stats were 14/13 and I 3 bet pre. So I discount bluffs here which leaves two pair minimum and I am behind. The raise sizing villain uses is a good one and with their stack we know we are seeing it all get in on turn with the exception being if the turn is a club and they have a set or two pair. I dont think I could fold our hand based on its strength and draw potential so it comes down to jamming flop or just calling flop with knowing in our head we are facing it every turn and must be prepared to call off on turn. I see some small advantages to jamming flop which would be the scenarios where a club comes turn and villain just shuts it down with their sets and two pairs (two pair less likely since we have the Q but they are a wide range player). I think calling is better if I am wrong and they are bluffing here.

Turn: No club and then we knew we would have to face the music. I will say I dont think folding is bad if you feel they are rarely bluffing here because you would be behind. If thats the case though we are drawing against it when we just call flop since we are only seeing one card and then folding turn. I think as played though I would just call it off and hope we hit. I hate calling flop and then folding turn, I dont like folding on flop, and I really dont like calling on the turn either really thinking I am behind. Really no great options but I think we just go with this hand. Its also why I said I dont think just jamming flop is that bad either because we kind of know thats the end game in this.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Thank you for your replies guys. I had the same thinking that I can not fold the turn.

GGPoker, Hold'em No Limit - 50/100 (12 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 9,857 (99 bb)
UTG+1: 3,185 (32 bb)
MP: 15,458 (155 bb)
MP+1: 14,182 (142 bb)
CO: 20,967 (210 bb)
BU: 9,330 (93 bb)
SB: 6,909 (69 bb)
BB (Hero): 10,112 (101 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(246) Hero is BB with A Q
5 players fold, BTN raises to 200, SB calls 150, Hero 3-bets to 632, 1 fold, SB calls 432

Flop: (1,560) Q 7 5 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 796, SB raises to 2,200, Hero calls 1,404

Turn:
(5,960) T (2 players)
SB bets 4,065 (all-in), Hero calls 4,065

River:
(14,090) 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 14,090

Showdown:
SB shows 6 4 (a flush, Queen high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 39%, Flop: 77%, Turn: 89%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) shows A Q (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 61%, Flop: 23%, Turn: 11%, River: 0%)

SB wins 14,090

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do think that BTN's min-bet open here is hiding just weaker combinations than yours, and you have to separate yourself from a calling station as well now - so my 3bet would go that mentioned 1K and a bit more.
After that the you played this great, but it's probably hard to swallow such an outcome. That could happen when a premium MTT has their low satties.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
larger pre 800-1100
otf you are really skrewed there. vs this stack size we just stack off obviously, but if he had more chips would strongly consider folding right there.
on the turn no brainer stack off as played
Hope this Helps and Good Luck!