$15 Turbo (hai Egon lolol), TT, icky preflop decision

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MP2 is a LAGfish, I'm not at all concerned about him pushing as I think he does it with a huge range. SB has been uber-tight so far though. Is the chance that he's taking a shot with a marginal hand himself against LAGfish's wide range enough to justify a call here (though surely he has to afford my UTG raise some respect)? Is the fact the side pot against LAGfish is ~1k enough to justify calling too?

If you call, are you calling with worse hands? 99? AQ?

If you fold, what do you need before you call?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed)

SB (t1020)
BB (t3905)
Hero (t1565)
UTG+1 (t1055)
MP1 (t1055)
MP2 (t1660)
CO (t500)
Button (t2740)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T
diamond.gif
, T
heart.gif
Hero raises to t300, 2 folds, MP2 raises to t1660, 2 folds, SB calls t970 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero ???

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd definately fold. the only way I call is if some magic way I knew the SB had undercards/underpair AND the SB didnt have a higher pair, and since you have no way of knowing this, You have to assume you're up against at least 3, probably 4 overcards OR at least one overpair. just fold, you have plenty of chips. I think I'm calling with QQ definately, AK for sure, AQ and JJ are a little more iffy... i'd probably close my eyes and stick it in with AQ or JJ also.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm.... TT isn't really a hand for calling two all-ins with. Dicey against just one. LAGs can get good hands too...

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HU Id prob call and expect to see the pooosher show AK. Against 2 is likely that your up aginst at the best 3 over-cards, worst case your gonna see QQ-AA somewhere in there.

Id fold, call with QQ+ AQ, id fold AQ, and seriously consider folding AK as well.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm.... TT isn't really a hand for calling two all-ins with. Dicey against just one. LAGs can get good hands too...

Agreed, and I`d go further - why put 20% of your stack in PF with TT from UTG ? Surely this is -EV. There are three ways this can go:

1) You hit your set on the flop, which is the ideal outcome and should win you a nice pot. However, there`s only 12% chance of this. More likely is:
2) Everbody folds and you win the blinds. Unlikely, since there`s at least one loose player to act after you, and not really worth the risk, I`d suggest.
3) You get one or more callers/raisers. There`s around an 80% chance of an overcard on the flop, and you`re in trouble.

This hand would certainly be worth a limp-in from LP, perhaps a raise depending on reads, but at this stage of the tourney and from UTG, I`m not convinced you should be playing it at all.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Egon,

You're limping from LP with TT in a donkngo at 50/100 blinds? That's really weak-tight - I can just about see your argument for ditching it UTG here (I'll get to it in a sec though), but not raising it in LP is just absurd. Are you gonna wait for JJ+ or AKs before you raise at all?

Anyway, why raise TT UTG here? Ok...

1) If I do just win the blinds, I'm happy. Winning the blinds represents a 10% stack increase, and in a turbo with the blinds about to hit 75/150 it keeps me above the 10bb 'start to panic a little bit' threshold. Obviously I'm not so determined I'm going to stay over 10bb that I'm gonna play crap UTG, but TT is a strong hand and it's likely the best hand out there preflop against 7 random hands. Thinking players (ok so there are only about 3 at this table but still) will afford the UTG raise more respect and will fold hands they wouldn't fold to a button/CO raise.

2) Getting callers in this spot is actually quite unlikely. People will tend to either push or fold, and then I can re-evaluate depending on the player. BB and Button are the only two people who could really 'correctly' call here because they have big stacks and the flexibility to call a raise preflop, though perhaps SB could pull off a stop and go (but it's often obvious when someone is doing this). Anyone else really has to push or fold, even in position calling off such a huge portion of their stacks is really terrible.

If CO pushes I call because of pot odds. If MP1 or MP2 push I instacall because I think they're fully capable of doing this with something like A6 sooted given their stats. If any of the close to 1k stacks shove I call because of pot odds and the chance they're making a desperation move.

The complication here comes about because SB has to have a big hand. He still has a big enough stack to retain some fold equity for the next couple of rounds if he folds, so the call of the push after the UTG raise and MP push has to mean something. However, the fact I'm playing for a 1k side pot with LAGdonk and his huge range coupled with the possibility that SB has AK or even AQ/99 surely makes this worth calling?

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, I`d no idea this was a turbo. I don`t see that mentioned anywhere in the OP.

I was operating under the assumption that this was early-middle stages of a standard SNG, and we should be playing tight. I see I`m on the wrong wavelength.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that's my bad although I still raise this UTG at 50/100 in a regular donkngo.

(I edited the thread title btw, I hope you enjoy it :eek:)