$15 NLHE STT: QQ vs 4bet 10/20 pre

F

FastandFurious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10.00/t20.00 Blinds - 7 players - View hand 1326005
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: t3100.00 155 BBs - VPIP: 15, PFR: 10, 3B: 6, AF: 2.9, hands: 810
UTG+1: t1470.00 73.50 BBs - VPIP: 21, PFR: 19, 3B: 6, AF: 12.2, Hands: 879
MP: t1380.00 69 BBs - VPIP: 19, PFR: 11, 3B: 5, AF: 3.3, Hands: 134
CO: t1980.00 99 BBs - VPIP: 21, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 2.3, Hands: 654
BTN: t1400.00 70 BBs - VPIP: 34, PFR: 3, 3B: 8, AF: 4.5, Hands: 101
Hero (SB): t2750.00 137.50 BBs - VPIP: 16, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 3.0, Hands: 49585
BB: t1420.00 71 BBs - VPIP: 21, PFR: 4, 3B: 0, AF: 8.0, Hands: 76

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is SB with Q
diamond.gif
Q
spade.gif

3 folds, CO raises to t60, BTN calls t60, Hero raises to t250, BB raises to t1000, 2 folds, hero ??

Vs unknown, I checked his stats in-game on pokerprolabs: 51 games with 11.80% early finishes.. Secondly, I doubled-up a few hand earlier having INI pre and get it in with overpair KK vs 1 opponent..

As I'm just moving up and trying to adjust to this new limit.. I'll instant call this at $5,50 (now $7) limit..

I guess vs a solid reg this is an "easy" fold right? but I'm not sure here vs unknown.. I still think his range is most likely QQ+ but yeah maybe AK + JJ overplayed.. hmm.. so need some help
smile.gif

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless we know the villain can be shoving wide here, QQ is typically a fold. I have no problem being the aggressor preflop with QQ and shoving myself. But when faced with a call, I am usually KK+ at this stage. We need to be sure when faced with an all in that we have a clear equity advantage, which we may not have here.

Though not many hands, it seems the BB is quite passive, which tells me he is not a winning player (I am usually happy to go all in with QQ against losing players since their shoving range is typically quite wider than just AK and KK+ in the early game). However, when a passive player puts in a raise here, he is probably not doing it very lightly.

With that said, whenever you are faced with these types of decisions in the early game and having to guess about what you should do, you should typically err on the side of taking the conservative route due to early game ICM considerations.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Though not many hands, it seems the BB is quite passive, which tells me he is not a winning player (I am usually happy to go all in with QQ against losing players since their shoving range is typically quite wider than just AK and KK+ in the early game). However, when a passive player puts in a raise here, he is probably not doing it very lightly.

Whoa, that isn't right. He has an AF of 8.0 and while he limps preflop a bit it's over 75 hands, and most of those are usually from the early game (especially true if multitabling). So we can't really assume too much from his stats here. It may be more likely he's not a winning player, but i've seen a ton of guys who limp a lot with implied odds hands early, and it's easy for these stats to be skewed.

Now as for the hand, the 3bet is quite large. I'm not exactly awesome in these situations myself, but i'm usually either 3betting smaller, to allow worse hands to continue, but also we have to expect to be called here a decent amount so we can get away easily if bad A/K boards hit.

The second option which i don't like as much is to just shove and hope to get loose calls, but i figure we don't get called too often in the $15's.

So yeah i really don't know for sure in this spot as to what to do.

L

losched16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually never use a HUD, so correct me if I am wrong here. I did not look at the AF of 8, but doesn't the AF tell us more about post flop play? I looked at the fact that when he is in a pot, he is usually not raising. a 21/4 player is very weak. He may be limping for implied odds, but 21/4 is quite a disparity. While 21 is not that high of a VPIP, with only a PFR of 4, I would interpret that as he likes to see flops but does not like to play for big pots early in the game. And when he finally does raise, he has a decent holding.

Regardless of the stats, in this hand, we have a raise, a call, a 3 bet, then the villain comes over the top for a cold 4bet. Until I see him show up with mediocre holdings in this situation, I think it is safe to play more conservative here. I am all about getting it all in with QQ, but I want to be the agressor. Calling an all in is totally different. This is definitely a tough hand, but when faced with these decisions, it is usually best to fall back on what your goal is for each stage of a SNG to help you make a decision. In the early game, it is not as important if we double up, since our equity does not double. So, unless we know we have a clear advantage when going all in (which KK and AA obviously afford us), it is fine to fold here.

So overall, though this may not be a clear all in or fold decision with a solid hand, we need to be sure when calling an all in early that we have a clear equity advantage. We usually do have this advantage with QQ when facing a non-reg/losing player, but when faced with a cold 4 bet, I think we can play this more conservatively and just fold.