$135 NL HE MTT: Live event poker hand Blunder??

B

Brokenlegs11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
I everyone! I'm new on the forum! I play breakeven online in MTT. I was in Montreal this week end so I decided to take a shot at my first live event. 135$ sat to open Irish. (The only MTT available that I could afford) My goal was to gain experience live and I enjoyed it a lot. I feel live people played more scared and that was more of calling station playstyle IDK. Anyway :

My image is probably large aggressive at that moment but not too crazy. I stole some pre flop pot and I'm surprise I'm the only one to do it to be honest since people looks like they like to open limp.

UTG (Chip leader, he likes to see a lot of cheap flops) open limp
LJ calls
HJ calls 18BB (I feel he is a little tilt that I stole dead money a lot and that I 3bet him a lot)
CO calls
BU : Me I'm 22 BB below average after I recently lost a large pot to UTG. I look at my cards to pocket jacks. Since UTG is very large I think this a good timing to either steal a lot of dead money but my main goal is to iso an opponent. People on my left are all nit so I'm not too worried about them. So I 3bet for 4,5BB.

Everyone folds to HJ who decides to cold call.

Flop comes : 963 Rainbow.

Since my opponent is only 18BB I put him on a Ax, broadway range. Maybe low pocket pairs or suited connectors but IMO with 18BB you should either shove pocket pairs you want to play after a 3bet or fold. Suited connectors are not likely with 18BB but who knows...

He checks to me. Being worried of being outdrawn or to see an A K or Q on turn and river I decided the play was to shove since he doesn't have AA KK QQ for sure. I'm a little bit worried about 99 or 66 but I mean it is not likely. So I shove mais 18BBish.

HJ snap calls and turns his cards : 96o... and I'm really confused. He holds and win the large pot...

Did I play it well?
Should I shove pre-flop in this situation?
Was it a blunder to shove on the flop?

I feel I played the hand accurately and the other player just made a bad decision pre flop and been lucky but I just want to have opinions because my main goal is to improve not necessary thy results.

Thank you all!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
If you were much deeper, you could isolate to like 7-8BB and hope to get it heads up against just one limper, or even pick it up. But with just 22BB and 4 limpers, this was an easy spot to simply move all-in and let them do, whatever they want. If everyone folds, you pick up a massive pot of 6,5BB (assuming a BB ante as in most live games). And if someone call, you usually have the best hand and play a flip with some overlay. Both of which are totally fine outcomes. The issue with raising to just 4,5BB is, you never pick it up, and you kind of invite people to stick around and suck out on you.

Flop
Pot was now 14,5BB (still assuming a BB ante), and HJ only had 13,5BB left. This is less than a pot sized bet, so as played its certainly fine to jam now and once again let him do, whatever he wants to do. This time unfortunately he was ahead and held, but thats just the name of the game. And you kind of did this to yourself by not jamming preflop, when you were way to short to raise small.

B

Brokenlegs11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Preflop
If you were much deeper, you could isolate to like 7-8BB and hope to get it heads up against just one limper, or even pick it up. But with just 22BB and 4 limpers, this was an easy spot to simply move all-in and let them do, whatever they want. If everyone folds, you pick up a massive pot of 6,5BB (assuming a BB ante as in most live games). And if someone call, you usually have the best hand and play a flip with some overlay. Both of which are totally fine outcomes. The issue with raising to just 4,5BB is, you never pick it up, and you kind of invite people to stick around and suck out on you.

Flop
Pot was now 14,5BB (still assuming a BB ante), and HJ only had 13,5BB left. This is less than a pot sized bet, so as played its certainly fine to jam now and once again let him do, whatever he wants to do. This time unfortunately he was ahead and held, but thats just the name of the game. And you kind of did this to yourself by not jamming preflop, when you were way to short to raise small.
ok I get you! And it does make sense since by 3betting him because all the dead money he was getting good pot odds to call with a trash hand but he would never call a pre flop shove with his hand. Thank you for answering my question!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok I get you! And it does make sense since by 3betting him because all the dead money he was getting good pot odds to call with a trash hand but he would never call a pre flop shove with his hand. Thank you for answering my question!
If you mentioned the action correctly, you did not 3-bet. Posting the blinds is the first (forced) bet. If someone then raise to say 2,5BB, that is the second bet. And if someone now bumps it up further to say 7BB, that is the third bet or 3-bet. But in this hand 4 players had just called the blind, when action got to you, and you made a raise (2-bet) to 4,5BB.

But yeah. It was a mistake to not jam preflop here. As a rule of thumb, when there is more than 25% of the effective stack in the pot, then we typically want to jam, if we are entering the pot. Or in a situation like this with multiple limpers, we can have a range for limping behind. So maybe you jam the hands, you would normally open from UTG, and then you limp behind with some in between hands, that you would normally open from CO or BTN.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yeah, Fundiver199 nailed it. As I was reading the account pre-flop and marveling at the limpfest that was occurring, I was screaming "shove!" That said, as played, the shove later was fine but just unfortunate.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with others above that this is a jam pre. I will disagree, though, on post flop. If the pot is in neighborhood of 14 BBs with 13.5 BBs behind then on a 963 board with JJ I am never folding nor am I worrying about an overcard coming since I dont think I am going against AK or AQ based on that everyone limped pre (KQ is possible though now that I think about it). Meaning every overcard that comes does not mean someone has it. I would be looking to make a bet that would get called on this flop by 88, 77, or an A6 type hand. Then every turn no matter what it is, I would be jamming. If villain called with A6 on the flop and then hit their A on turn then so be it but I would not want to make a bet on the flop where it is only being called by hands that beat me and only 9x from hands that behind. I would much rather bet 4.5 or so BBs on flop and get some wider calls and then jam every turn, especially in a live tournament where people do play as the original post stated. online poker, I think this is much, much more of a jam the flop hand than it is live.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands