$120 NLHE STT: Live game: AQo on the bubble

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$120 NL HE STT: Live game: AQo on the bubble

Blinds were 400/800 and I had about 5500 chips left. There was an ante, either 75 or 100 (I can't remember which, wanna say 100). The next blind level would be 800/1600 w/ a 150 ante. There was another short stack in the BB with around 3000 chips or so. Other two stacks had around 10,000 chips each. All of the players were playing pretty tight...the big stack to my left had been loose earlier but had tightened up some after gaining his chip lead. I was dealt AQo and was first to act.

Instantly my ICM instinct told me I should probably fold, considering I was first to act and there was a shorter stack present. But my stack wasn't big in relation to the blinds, and I was scared to death the SB would let the BB walk. Also, I'd never played w/ an ante before, but I remember it should give me more incentive to make a move, so I shoved.

Everyone folded and I breathed a sigh of relief, but I was wondering if this was still the correct play? I was scared to death a big stack would wake up w/ AK or a big pair, but I felt like I had to make the move and I didn't want to risk the short stack getting free chips.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with the results you got it was the right move. if i'm not mistaken AQo utg is a good hand for that late in tourny. regardless online or live.

and i'm surprised the big stack wasn't running the table regardlesss of his hands or that noone else caught on and loosened up thier game to steal the blinds.

good for you i'm taking it you itm'd. woot woot :)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many players left? It seems ok, in a live game, we have a lot more fold equity than an online tournament.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stt bubble so i believe its 4 handed right? Insta-shove imo.

also wow at the blinds being so high and still 4 left. wait stacks seem huge for stt. what were the starting stack sizes? I am reading this right it is an stt right? oh live game i see now.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty sure I'm shipping here, we're not raising too wide in this spot but we have a very good hand 4-way, so we can feel good about getting it in.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many players left? It seems ok, in a live game, we have a lot more fold equity than an online tournament.

Four players left, and yes I think I noticed this too. The people at the tables keep looking at me like I have 3 heads because I keep getting it in haha.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with the results you got it was the right move. if i'm not mistaken AQo utg is a good hand for that late in tourny. regardless online or live.

and i'm surprised the big stack wasn't running the table regardlesss of his hands or that noone else caught on and loosened up thier game to steal the blinds.

good for you i'm taking it you itm'd. woot woot :)

Yes I did! Got 3rd place which was 200, should have gotten second but later on my AQo got called by KTo and a ten hit on the flop :( Oh well, bit of a bigger prize than the $1 I win for 3rd place in the $2 sngs online!

S

salex77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is no thinking involved with AQo with your stack 5500 w blinds 400/800 and the antes being 75 or 100. When you consider the antes and pot equity you have to shove and maybe even call if someone had raised in front of you . That late w antes and blinds you are short stacked severely if you get called its ok

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games