$120 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: first level; play huge pot with trips?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the first level of a 566 player Live Freezeout tourney.

starting stacks are 10,000 blinds are 25/50. 30 minute rounds.

My stack is 10,400.

I've seen 2 orbits so I have limited info on these players.

This table is quite limpy loose passive.

1 mid position limper. CO raises to 250. I read him as having a pretty strong hand here. something like JJ+ and AK/AQ. He has been playing LOTS of pots put usually just limps along. Also, when he looked at his hand he covered it back up very quickly and straightened up in his chair and leaned forward as if to scrutinize the action. He took some time deciding how much to raise and settled on 5bbs.

I look down at :10s4::8s4: and I am happy to call on my button with this hand. Just gonna try to crack his aces or kings or whatever he has. He also strikes me as a fish and I feel my implied odds are very good if I hit 2 pair or better I feel he will pay me off with TPTK or an overpair.

Nobody folds. 5 players to a flop.

Pot contains 1,250.

Flop is :8h4::8d4::ah4:

It checks around to me and I bet out 650.

the SB check raises me to 1,950.

2 folds and the CO takes a while before deciding to flat.

I get a hinky feeling that the SB has an 8, so he likely can have a better kicker here, but he is also the SB so he could have been playing a hand like 68s or 78s.

I don't really put anybody on a flush draw, although anything is possible at this level and I don't know the players.

The CO I fully realize AA is in his range but also I don't see him folding AK or AQ here. The only weird thing is if he had AK or AQ I think he would have bet the flop...not checked to me. So maybe he has AA and maybe he has a flush draw and maybe he is over-valuing AK.... I really don't know.

So, first question of the hand. Should I flat, jam or fold here?

What I elected to do was flat and re-evaluate on the turn. Since I have this weird feeling I'm outkicked by the SB.

Pot contains 7,100. I have 8,200 behind.

turn card :10d4: BINK!

SB leads out for 2,000. He has what looks to be 7,000 behind.

CO flats. That is a weird flat. He only has about 5,000 left behind; so it seems kind of trappy. I'm starting to really suspect he has AA, afterall I read him as strong preflop. Would he play AK this way? maybe....

OK. Now what? I'm never folding at this point. Even if the CO has AA I can try to win a side pot from the SB.

jam or flat this turn card? Pot now has 11,100. I have 8,200 behind.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pre looks good, flop looks good, i think turn is a jam tho, get all the money in, not too worried about AA it would be a bit excited and visible by now imo

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did end up jamming the turn. I'll spare you the spoiler since I think that was the right thing to do.

this hand just happened 2 hours ago. I drove 4 hours to play in this series.

now I'm in the room....after playing less than an hour....

:(

Tomorrow is a new day!

Right now I'm deciding whether to get drunk, or go grind the $60 turbo STTs....but since I DID come all this way to play poker.... ;)

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go play cash!

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What were the hands you ran into? AT from SB?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go play cash!
haha! I thought about it.

#1 they don't have any cash tables yet because every available dealer is dealing the tourney. maybe in 2 more hours...

#2 I am a fish at cash. however....here....OMG they are so bad and passive. A bunch of sweet old ranchers and country boys...

What were the hands you ran into? AT from SB?

Nope my reads were spot on. SB had K8s (I sucked out on turn) CO had AA.

My reads are so good vs. this field, everybody is like an open book until you get down to the top 10-15% of players...