mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
UTG+1 Stats after 35 hands: VPIP 40 PFR 0 Limp 42

Do you guys think that I should fold or 3-bet 77 in this position pre-flop? On the flop should I bet bigger like 1/2 pot ? Is this a position where I can bet on the river?

pokerstars - 300/600 Ante 75 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 8 players

CO: 34,644 (57.7 bb)
Hero (BTN): 45,944 (76.6 bb)
SB: 37,208 (62 bb)
BB: 25,723 (42.9 bb)
UTG: 19,970 (33.3 bb)
UTG+1: 18,940 (31.6 bb)
MP: 67,176 (112 bb)
MP+1: 12,789 (21.3 bb)

8 players post ante of 75, SB posts 300, BB posts 600

Pre Flop: (pot: 1,500) Hero has :7s4: :7h4:
fold, UTG+1 calls 600, 2 folds, CO raises to 2,100, Hero calls 2,100, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls 1,500

Flop: (7,800, 3 players) :4s4: :2c4: :5h4:
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets 2,730, UTG+1 calls 2,730, fold

Turn: (13,260, 2 players) :js4:
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 4,641, UTG+1 calls 4,641

River: (22,542, 2 players) :ac4:
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

Results: 22,542 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :4s4: :2c4: :5h4: :js4: :ac4:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the way you played this hand. I am not in love, generally speaking, with calling a 3.5x raise to set mine but in knowing that UTG+1 already limped and usually then will tag along gives even better implied odds to set mine. I would call as you did and not raise there as deep as we are.

On the flop when its checked to you we should be betting as you did. I would go a little bigger just to try to deter any two cards from calling but would not go much bigger. Maybe 3200-3500 would be my sizing but I think you have the right idea by going small. I know Ax will call here with overs and gutter straight draw but that is fine. That hand is behind ours and we want to get value from it but dont want to go overboard either.

The turn card would not be the one I would hand select if I could but its not terrible either. Villain can have some jacks but I am not overly concerned. I think you can check or bet here but I like betting small as you did to keep control of the pot and maybe buy a river check here when we bet. Plus we can still get called by worse hands like Ax that think they have showdown value and still have a straight draw. I would have sized up a touch but it is splitting hairs as I think I would be more in the 5000-5500 range but that's a small difference. This is a street imo you can do either bet or check but I feel the hand plays easier with a bet here vs a check and then more than likely facing a river bet where the opponent should be mixing bluffing and value betting and you will be there with a mid pair.

River is a very good check behind as I would think villains range here is a lot of Ax if we were getting there ahead. No reason to bet now as nothing worse will call and they could be setting you up.

All in all I think you played the hand as I would have played it (which may not be a good thing for you, lol)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
If you just call, the limper is always going to call as well, and possibly someone from the blinds as well. So the question is, do you want to create a multiway pot, where 77 will be more of a set-mining hand? And I think with the stack sizes there is more value in getting it heads up with CO or even taking it down preflop, so I lean towards a 3-bet. But I prefer calling over folding, and its a close spot.

Flop
I lean towards a slightly larger size to discourage floats from random overcards like KT or QJ. AX will always call because of the gutshot, and thats just something to keep in mind, if an A or 3 comes later.

Turn
The J is a very disconnected card, so I am totally fine betting for value again. Even a 40% VPIP typically dont include hands like J5 or J4, and hands like JT or QJ should have folded the flop. If they did not, a larger sizing could most likely have gotten the fold.

River
A lot of the hands, you were getting value from on the flop and turn, contain either an A or a 3, so this was one of the worst cards in the deck for you. Betting again for value is definitely to thin, and there is also no point in turning your hand into a bluff, since you still have at least some showdown value. Finally the opponent already has half his stack in the middle, and he is clearly a recreational player, so I dont think, you can ever get him to fold an A and probably not even a J, if he has it. So betting accomplish nothing other than to lose you more, when you are beat.