$11 NLHE MTT: $11 Sunday 1/4mil - preflop in LP with middle PP facing EP raise.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the middle stages of the Sunday $1/4mil. UTG+1 has been nitty, playing 9/9 thusfar. Zero raises from Early position. This was only over 35 hands though. Villain is also a very good, consistent player according to OPR (~99.4%) so is likely capable of opening light from any position.

Poker Stars $10+$1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds + t25 - 9 players - View hand 1124689
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: t6211 M = 9.20
UTG+1: t6354 M = 9.41
UTG+2: t3706 M = 5.49
MP1: t3790 M = 5.61
MP2: t2288 M = 3.39
CO: t4026 M = 5.96
Hero (BTN): t11105 M = 16.45
SB: t7965 M = 11.80
BB: t10508 M = 15.57

Pre Flop: (t675) Hero is BTN with 7 7
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to t699, 4 folds, Hero ???
I feel like my hand has some value, but I don't know how to get it. Villain's stack is too short to call and set-mine and a shove over a flop cbet probably has low FE. A 3bet would work best if I could just shove and play him for stacks, but that seems spew-y with the two much bigger stacks in the blinds.

What do you guys do here?

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you 3 bet pot size or somewhere thereabouts here, and one of the blinds gets involved, you are in trouble, not too mention UTG will very possibly shove or smooth call, and shove flop. I agree that a 3 bet shove here also seems spewy, although if you are going to get involved it would be maybe your best move. You do have the chips to survive a call and see what happens on the flop. You will be folding to any unfriendly flop and a shove from UTG, but even a 2 3 6 flop and a shove will be a tough spot so it can be a real loose call. I might tend to fold here, since the UTG raise seems to be inviting a shove from one of the stacks UTG+2-CO. They folded, but that does not diminish his holdings. If he is a good player, he probably aint going anywhere after this, I wouldnt imagine he is opening all that light here with effective stacks being what they are. There is often value in your 7ss, but not here IMO.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks like a big hand to me looking for a 3-bet or multiway action. You can't flat call since so many flops will be bad for you. Initiating action with middle PP is what you want, you don't want to have hard decisions with a mid PP.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I highly doubt a good player would be opening too light from this position and his stack size. It just doesn't seem logical to be opening light here in a very large field tournament with a lot of limpy/cally players. If this was a $100 buy in and he knew the table was a high % of regs, then maybe he would open from early to rep a strong holding. But this situation doesn't look to me like he's raising very wide.

I'd say we're definitely behind his preflop opening range, so anything but a fold is bad in my opinion. I don't play MTT much though so i could be wrong.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't really 3-bet for value or as a bluff, don't have the odds to set mine... Probably a fold, blech.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't really 3-bet for value or as a bluff, don't have the odds to set mine... Probably a fold, blech.
Haha...honestly this was almost the exact thought process I went through., right down to the disgusted sound at the end :D ...After which I thought for another 10 seconds or so before laying it down and feeling pretty grumpy about it.