$11 NLHE: Did I Play This Right?

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$11 NL HE: Did I Play This Right?

PokerStars Game #33984357736: Tournament #203040382, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2009/10/13 17:07:10 WET [2009/10/13 12:07:10 ET]
Table '203040382 4' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: ralle33 (11280 in chips)
Seat 2: KCNRG (4990 in chips)
Seat 3: Imaginos7 (4970 in chips)
Seat 4: stapadi (5700 in chips)
Seat 5: strutu8090 (3465 in chips)
Seat 6: TheGatherer2 (5080 in chips)
Seat 7: Percebo (4550 in chips)
Seat 8: bogmonster1 (5000 in chips) out of hand (moved from another table into small blind)
Seat 9: DonJoaosinho (4960 in chips)
DonJoaosinho: posts small blind 10
ralle33: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Imaginos7 [Qc Qs]
Percebo said, "nh"
KCNRG: folds
Imaginos7: raises 60 to 80
stapadi: folds
strutu8090: raises 60 to 140
TheGatherer2: folds
Percebo: folds
DonJoaosinho: calls 130
ralle33: folds
Imaginos7: raises 420 to 560
strutu8090: calls 420
DonJoaosinho: calls 420
*** FLOP *** [Kd 4d 9h]
DonJoaosinho: checks
Imaginos7: checks
strutu8090: checks
*** TURN *** [Kd 4d 9h] [5c]
DonJoaosinho: bets 760
Imaginos7: calls 760
strutu8090: folds
*** RIVER *** [Kd 4d 9h 5c] [Jh]
DonJoaosinho: bets 500
Imaginos7: calls 500
*** SHOW DOWN ***
DonJoaosinho: shows [Ks Th] (a pair of Kings)
Imaginos7: mucks hand
DonJoaosinho collected 4220 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4220 | Rake 0
Board [Kd 4d 9h 5c Jh]
Seat 1: ralle33 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: KCNRG folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Imaginos7 mucked [Qc Qs]
Seat 4: stapadi folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: strutu8090 folded on the Turn
Seat 6: TheGatherer2 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Percebo (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: DonJoaosinho (small blind) showed [Ks Th] and won (4220) with a pair of Kings

I am Imaginos7
It was right at the start of an $11 Deep Stacked Tourney
I had looked up the profiled of the other 2 players in this hand and they were both terrible.
I called on the turn because the pot odds are about 3 to 1, and I don't know if hes got a king. The trouble is you don't know with donks.
I am just losing too many hands like this against bad players, and this hand cost me a third of my stack in the first 5 mins.

O

Oggy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I would probably play it differently ... If it was at the beginning Deepstack i would reraise pot less, with that I waited for some larger action on flop ... King on the flop was unlucky, but even so I would try continuation bet .... if it came reraise - fold, at turn i would left the initiative had to DonJoaosinho ... big bet - fold, and call only bet up to 350... I would try play it this way at the start of the tournament......
PS: sorry for my bad english

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I would probably play it differently ... If it was at the beginning Deepstack i would reraise pot less, with that I waited for some larger action on flop ... King on the flop was unlucky, but even so I would try continuation bet .... if it came reraise - fold, at turn i would left the initiative had to DonJoaosinho ... big bet - fold, and call only bet up to 350... I would try play it this way at the start of the tournament......
PS: sorry for my bad english

The reason I don't really like c betting here is that it will probably only make hands worse than yours fold, whilst any hand with a king will still call you, in which case you are throwing away chips.

O

Oggy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason I don't really like c betting here is that it will probably only make hands worse than yours fold, whilst any hand with a king will still call you, in which case you are throwing away chips.
I've got with c betting positive experiences ... If someone holds something in his hand and call or reraise -> you now know "whereon you are" ... In some cases it's better than a check, because it can "intimidate some" draw

X

Xaras23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion i fld the hand on the river, pay attention on the re raise pre flop! A king on the flop is a worst card for you and bring troubles! Fold on the river

X

Xaras23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
villan´s value bet transmite a powerfull hand and he wants your call, he bets 500!

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The blinds are the first level therefore you don't have reads yet. I personally do not like the re-raise pf. It's early in a deepstack tourney, let skill guide you through this game, not luck. There was an article recently written by one of the FT pros about not over playing large pprs early in a deepstack. Someone might have posted it in the strategy section.

Definitely c-bet the flop, this let's you know where you stand, if opp doesn't have a K you are giving a free card for him to catch up which is something you never want to do. My guess from the way this guy played, he was waiting to do a check raise on the flop. cbetting would have allowed you to fold costing less money than you had in this pot.

If he reraised you with AQsu then he might have hit his A on the turn. Don't assume because an over hits the flop your opp has it.

What if he called with 2 connected diamonds? You give him a free card to catch a flush?

Cbet the flop.

cbetting the flop gives you a lot of info, also allows you pot control. Don't relinquish control of the pot unless it is for strategic purposes.

ethon

ethon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I've been having problems recently with big PPs early. I always seem to run into something more dominant, or get sucked out on.

Unless I'm waaaaay ahead on the flop, I think I'm going to cut back my aggression a bit.

JeffJaze

JeffJaze

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very hard to make the cont. bet here with the king there this early, better to just play it safe since its so early on and check/fold

Ihavelotsaouts

Ihavelotsaouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have smooth called the min reraise and risked very little at this stage of the tournament. Since the pot is small your post flop bet will be smaller, but since you re-raised pre-flop and there was alot of chips in the middle your c-bet has to be larger. Just things I have learned here.

As played two basic options this early in the tournament:

1. CB, if raised fold, if called you check the turn and fold to a bet.

2. Check the flop, call a bet, check the turn, fold to turn bet if unimproved.

Later in the tournament has several plays that can be made once you know your opponent and you have established yourself as a tight solid player.

trashcan

trashcan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop is debateable I guess, although QQ is very strong calling has some merit since we are deep.

Turn is very close, he bet into 2 people, which polarizes his range to top pair + hands or air. Which complicate things are he have Q in our hand, which makes his most likely hand KQ less possible. I still think we should fold, player behing us can be trapping also.

River is more meh. I'm indifferent at this point, probably call if came here like that