$11 NL HE MTT: Power Path Step 3: Jam J9o against BB?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
Hey forum,

the question is already in the title.

We're in the Power Path Step 3. We're down to around 100ish players and as most others, I'm pretty short. 74 tickets are awarded and I'm around 70ish in stack.

Folds to me in BB with J9o and 5 BB. I have SB covered but not by much. Jam or not?

pokerstars, $10.27 + $0.73 - Hold'em No Limit - 4,000/8,000 (800 ante) - 7 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 39,652 (5 bb)
MP: 57,894 (7 bb)
MP+1: 111,636 (14 bb)
CO: 20,648 (3 bb)
BU: 93,140 (12 bb)
SB (Hero): 42,280 (5 bb)
BB: 27,648 (3 bb)

Pre-Flop: (17,600) Hero is SB with J 9
5 players fold, SB (Hero) folds, Fran_Emm takes a walk

Total pot: 13,600
BB wins 13,600
I decided to fold and ended up not making the ticket. This is one of the hand where I think I gave away some chips too easily.

Of course I couldn't do that but equity wise, it's slightly favourite according to 100% of SB range.
Screenshot 2023 08 02 00 19 01 79 cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da
If we assume a large calling range but remove all the junk, equity goes down to around 40%.

Screenshot 2023 08 02 00 29 49 32 cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that ranges play a role in this situation.
Only other consideration may be your table image,
and perhaps your view on the bb players kind of player type. (calling station, maniac, and so on)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When everyone is short I think these blind vs blind situations are everything. When I get into tables like this I try to pay very close attention to BB and their actions. I like to see if they are jamming or they are folding (which are the only options they can be when this short) so I have an idea on what to do when the blind vs blind situation comes and it will come when everyone is this short (such as jam absolutely everything vs folding bottom 20% or 25%, etc.). When at 3 BBs like BB is then they should be calling all jams here so you could (if readless) then jam all above 50%+ hands but that is counting no fold equity either so I think mostly you should be jamming here in these spots. Fold the 72, 83 off type crap but mostly be jamming.

natnit4life

natnit4life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I think with only 5BB and J9o in the SB if you are folded to it is a shove, if there are bets before you maybe you could find a fold.
If you have some good reads on players that would help, also the time on each blind level and the speed that other players are getting knocked out could make a difference as maybe you could have folded you way to a ticket.
If it's folded to me with J9o and I have 5BB and I can't fold my way to the money I am all in.
GL!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I put the hand into ICMizer making the simplification, that it was a satellite paying 4 players, and that the 7 players on your table were the only ones left. I think, that should get us close enough. Your jamming range is then 83% of hands, and his calling range is 69% of hands. The reason, why both ranges are so wide, is due to pot odds and the fact, you are both below average stacks. 83% of hands is basically anything but junk. Even T3o and 95o is also a jam.

If I change it to 5 places paying, meaning we are closer to bubble, his calling range shrink to 53% of hands, and for that reason your jamming range become even wider with 95% of hands. When a jamming range is this wide, its fine to simply jam any two, especially if you have a read, that the opponent is a bit tight and might fold, even when he is not supposed to. So to sum it up, your jamming range here is either anything but junk or any two cards, and the choise between those two can be made based on reads on Villain. Regardless of Villain tendencies though, folding J9o was in fact a substantial mistake.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I put the hand into ICMizer making the simplification, that it was a satellite paying 4 players, and that the 7 players on your table were the only ones left. I think, that should get us close enough. Your jamming range is then 83% of hands, and his calling range is 69% of hands. The reason, why both ranges are so wide, is due to pot odds and the fact, you are both below average stacks. 83% of hands is basically anything but junk. Even T3o and 95o is also a jam.

If I change it to 5 places paying, meaning we are closer to bubble, his calling range shrink to 53% of hands, and for that reason your jamming range become even wider with 95% of hands. When a jamming range is this wide, its fine to simply jam any two, especially if you have a read, that the opponent is a bit tight and might fold, even when he is not supposed to. So to sum it up, your jamming range here is either anything but junk or any two cards, and the choise between those two can be made based on reads on Villain. Regardless of Villain tendencies though, folding J9o was in fact a substantial mistake.
But there's a MASSIVE difference between 4 of 7 and 70 of 74.
You're in SB so you've just made it through the blinds.
Ideally you need to be bringing up other tables and seeing when shortstacks will be hitting the blinds... how long til' the blinds go up again, etc. etc.
Also, sometimes in these types of satties (with many inexperienced satellite players due to the nature of the promotion) you're also going to see some HUGE errors being made (ie. two mid-sized stacks (~10bb) who will get it in on a cooler)

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Totally agree. Maybe my post wasn't entirely clear:
There were about 100 players left and 74 tickets awarded. Based on stack size, I ranged around 70th position.

So not there yet watching other tables since bubble is still not there yet.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these Power Path tournaments, the game is usually quite manic, and the blinds rise quickly, and looking at it this way, the 74th place that is worth a ticket is far away even in 100 with 70th chips.
The game here is clearly all-in for me, unless I know about my opponent that he is a maniac, because in this case I would like rather take the pot than play coin toss with a random card.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
True but as Andyreas already said, it was actually 100+ left and 74 places paying, so still far from the bubble. If it was 74 left and 70 places paying, then the stacks at other tables will matter. But most likely the best decision would be to fold and hope, that the bubble has burst, before the blinds come back again.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey forum,

the question is already in the title.

We're in the Power Path Step 3. We're down to around 100ish players and as most others, I'm pretty short. 74 tickets are awarded and I'm around 70ish in stack.

Folds to me in BB with J9o and 5 BB. I have SB covered but not by much. Jam or not?

PokerStars, $10.27 + $0.73 - Hold'em No Limit - 4,000/8,000 (800 ante) - 7 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 39,652 (5 bb)
MP: 57,894 (7 bb)
MP+1: 111,636 (14 bb)
CO: 20,648 (3 bb)
BU: 93,140 (12 bb)
SB (Hero): 42,280 (5 bb)
BB: 27,648 (3 bb)

Pre-Flop: (17,600) Hero is SB with J 9
5 players fold, SB (Hero) folds, Fran_Emm takes a walk

Total pot: 13,600
BB wins 13,600
I decided to fold and ended up not making the ticket. This is one of the hand where I think I gave away some chips too easily.

Of course I couldn't do that but equity wise, it's slightly favourite according to 100% of SB range.
View attachment 339055
If we assume a large calling range but remove all the junk, equity goes down to around 40%.

View attachment 339056
While equity is a good starting point Future game is also important-- and at just 5 bb vs the field we can shove here and then still have the chance to shove one more time---if we fail--- but the upside of wining is just too good to fold.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no brainer jam, you absolutely print there. you arent guaranteed a ticket and your fold equity goes down rapidly with every folded hand.
if i had to guess you make 0.5bb+ there by jamming cev environment alone which would make fold a crime already.
hope this helps and Good Luck!

M

Maximum

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is pretty clear all in . Stealing the pot is much valuer in this spot because it's hard for you to get ticket when there are 30 players more to bust with only 5 bbs.Even if you get called J9 plays very well v Ax and Kx hands ,you are in bad shape only v AJ,A9 and over pairs