Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
PFR
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
Middle of the tournament, relatively loose table, have not been getting many playable hands and this looked like a good spot to get involved.

8-seat table

Blinds 600/1200

..Pre-flop..
Hero has 18278 chips on BB with :ah4::8h4:
UTG has 49156 chips raises to 2700
MP has 46100 chips and calls
BTN has 20111 chips and calls

Hero calls, good price to see a flop

..Flop..
Pot 12450 chips

:6h4::3h4::jc4:

Checks around to Hero, who also checks (don't want to be induced into a shove if I can get a free card).

..Turn..

:6h4::3h4::jc4::as4:

Checks around to Hero.
Hero bets 6225. (I think there's value to be made from Jx hands and I am more comfortable with calling jams from other Ax that don't have the flush draw.)

UTG calls. Others fold.

..River..
Pot 24900 chips

:6h4::3h4::jc4::as4::ks4:

It's a brick for Hero.
UTG checks.

Hero? (10553 remaining)

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I would have shoved the turn when you paired your ace. Your SPR was so small and you had both showdown and draw equity.

The answer to your river question is the same, though. for an SPR of 0.5, do it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Jamming for 15BB and calling are both fine plays here.

Flop
If you are BB, you are first to act, so it cant check around to you. My plan here would be to check-jam and get it in, but apparently it checks around.

Turn
When UTG miss his C-bet, and the two other guys check behind, there is a decent amount of AX in their range, and most of it has you outkicked. So this is not as good a card, as it looks. I also think, that they would have bet a J, if they had it. So my plan here would be to check-call. And if it goes crazy like bet, jam, call, then you probably have to fold, because you are not getting the odds to draw with only one more card to come.

River
You have kind of painted yourself into a corner here with less than a half pot bet left. As played I would check-call to allow him to bluff, if he somehow ended up here with a missed draw. If he bet, you are most likely beat, but you are getting so good odds, you cant really fold.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you are BB, you are first to act, so it cant check around to you.
Yeah I was reconstructing this hand from screenshots and memory, so I messed that up. It would have been a check from me first.

Otherwise, in hindsight, it is true that I probably would not be up against any Jx that had not bet the flop to challenge flush draws.

I did feel that my SPR on the river was off. But checking on the river felt like it was wrong somehow.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another option here would be to lead the flop. We are allowed to lead in multiway pots, and leading can accomplish quite a lot. You can get some better hands like AX with a better kicker or small pairs to fold, and you can also get called by worse draws. And if someone raise, you are happy to get it in with two more cards to come and a draw to the nuts + an overcard, that will sometimes be live.

Given that the SPR was only 1,5, I could even get on board with a stop-and-go play, which mean, that you just call preflop but then move all-in postflop, if you like the flop, as you certainly do here. Its very unbalanced, since you would likely never do it with a strong hand, but they are probably not going to figure that out. And even if they do, UTG still cant call with hands like AK or AQ with two more guys to left behind him.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Given that the SPR was only 1,5, I could even get on board with a stop-and-go play, which mean, that you just call preflop but then move all-in postflop, if you like the flop, as you certainly do here.
But then I will likely be flipping with Jx hands whereas jamming on turn I will have to contend with Ax hands that could be weaker than mine based on pre-flop action..

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Since nobody else wants to share their thoughts, I'll share the spoiler now. Not saying that I think my action was best on the river.

Hero bets all-in.
UTG calls and shows :ad4::5d4:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But then I will likely be flipping with Jx hands whereas jamming on turn I will have to contend with Ax hands that could be weaker than mine based on pre-flop action..
On the flop you have two more cards to come, so you are happy to be flipping with a top pair hand with the nut flushdraw and an overcard. On the turn you only have one more card to come, and UTG has far more better AX hands in his range than worse AX hands.

Hero bets all-in.

UTG calls and shows :ad4::5d4:
I think, you got a little lucky here, that he showed up with one of the few worse AX combos, that are in his range. An UTG open range 8-handed does not contain weak offsuit aces, so its really only A2s, A4s, A5s and A7s. A5s is the best of these, so some players might not even have them all. But anyway you made a thin value bet, and it worked out :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You didn't get that heart, so you remained with one pair aces, and A8. Your opponents don't show aggression, so they don't have something strong, so I would just call to end this hand here.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the River, I would just check, but the Turn bet (as I was told before) would have been all-in if I raised, or checked there too, because the stack is already small enough for a simple raise.

Full Flush Poker