$10 NLHE MTT Turbo: DON - almost nuts

B

Boo02

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Floop and Turn - I just wanted them to find something.

River - I give him just a little chance to 4. But i decided that i win more when i just call. Because i gave the second players pretty nice ods to call it also. Maybe even reraise.

I also dont belive to get call after my reraise.

That all because it was DON, people plays it really tight. I think. I played just few of it.

pokerstars, $9.54 + $0.46 - Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 1,230 (41 bb)
UTG+1: 1,500 (50 bb)
MP: 1,500 (50 bb)
MP+1: 1,500 (50 bb)
CO: 1,740 (58 bb)
BU: 1,425 (48 bb)
SB (Hero): 1,605 (54 bb)
BB: 1,500 (50 bb)

Pre-Flop: (45) Hero is SB with 9 9
2 players fold, MP calls 30, MP+1 calls 30, CO calls 30, 1 fold, Hero calls 15, BB checks

Flop: (150) 9 4 4 (5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP bets 30, MP+1 calls 30, CO calls 30, Hero calls 30, BB calls 30

Turn: (300) 4 (5 players)
Hero checks, BB bets 30, MP calls 30, MP+1 calls 30, CO calls 30, Hero calls 30

River: (450) T (5 players)
Hero bets 180, BB folds, MP calls 180, MP+1 raises to 360, CO folds, Hero calls 180, MP ...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all this is not a DON, its a Fifty/50, and that makes quite a big difference, although maybe not as much for this exact hand, since its so early, and everyone basically still have starting stacks. But when you get closer to the bubble the strategy in these events is totally different from a DON, because half the price pool is distributed to the top 4 finishers based on their chip stacks. Which is essentially the same as a 67,5/12,5/12,5/12,5 payout structure, whereas in a DON it would be 25/25/25/25. But with that out of the way lets look at the hand:

Preflop
A bunch of people limped to you, and while completing 99 is certainly +EV, I think, the hand is strong enough to isolate to somewhere around 7-8BB and go from there. Sometimes you pick it up pre, and other times you get a single caller, and then you just go from there. Yes some textures are going to be awkward like KQ3 or AJ8, but if the flop is really bad, its ok to just check and fold to significant aggression. And on more favourable boards like Q72 or T73 you can just C-bet and often take it down.

Flop
I am ok checking here, because if someone has a 4, they are going to bet it, and if noone has a 4, you are not getting 3 streets of value anyway. However when you do get this small bet and two calls, I would spring the trap and check-raise to around 150. The issue with check-calling is, that then you almost have to check the turn, and then you allow them to determine, if more chips go in or not.

Turn
Not the best card obviously, since you now lose to the case 4, and its not a card, where someone improved to two pair and might pay you off. However with this flop action I dont think, its particularly likely, someone has the case 4, so I am not overly worried about it. As played I guess, I go for a small check-raise now, when they bet this incredibly silly size again. If someone has 55-88 I dont think, they are folding it now, when they have a full house, so you can get more value this just this silly 10% of pot bet from BB.

River
The bet size of the flop and turn was so small, that we can almost pretend, it got checked through, so as played I am ok leading out now to make sure, the river dont get checked through. I like your sizing as well. Hopefully someone was sticking around with TX and now made top boat, and if not I still think, 55-88 will pay.

Now suddenly MP+1, who had been playing completely passively the whole hand, wakes up with a min-raise, and this is somewhat concerning. I am still not folding though, since you are getting 6,5/1, so you only need to be good around 15% of the time. I dont think, this is ever a bluff, but I do think, some players might overvalue TX enough to actually raise it, especially given the flop and turn action. So for me this is a sigh call, and if he happen to have the case 4, or if he over-setted me with TT, that he played in this passive way, then good for him.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all this is not a DON, its a Fifty/50, and that makes quite a big difference, although maybe not as much for this exact hand, since its so early, and everyone basically still have starting stacks. But when you get closer to the bubble the strategy in these events is totally different from a DON, because half the price pool is distributed to the top 4 finishers based on their chip stacks. Which is essentially the same as a 67,5/12,5/12,5/12,5 payout structure, whereas in a DON it would be 25/25/25/25. But with that out of the way lets look at the hand:

Preflop
A bunch of people limped to you, and while completing 99 is certainly +EV, I think, the hand is strong enough to isolate to somewhere around 7-8BB and go from there. Sometimes you pick it up pre, and other times you get a single caller, and then you just go from there. Yes some textures are going to be awkward like KQ3 or AJ8, but if the flop is really bad, its ok to just check and fold to significant aggression. And on more favourable boards like Q72 or T73 you can just C-bet and often take it down.

Flop
I am ok checking here, because if someone has a 4, they are going to bet it, and if noone has a 4, you are not getting 3 streets of value anyway. However when you do get this small bet and two calls, I would spring the trap and check-raise to around 150. The issue with check-calling is, that then you almost have to check the turn, and then you allow them to determine, if more chips go in or not.

Turn
Not the best card obviously, since you now lose to the case 4, and its not a card, where someone improved to two pair and might pay you off. However with this flop action I dont think, its particularly likely, someone has the case 4, so I am not overly worried about it. As played I guess, I go for a small check-raise now, when they bet this incredibly silly size again. If someone has 55-88 I dont think, they are folding it now, when they have a full house, so you can get more value this just this silly 10% of pot bet from BB.

River
The bet size of the flop and turn was so small, that we can almost pretend, it got checked through, so as played I am ok leading out now to make sure, the river dont get checked through. I like your sizing as well. Hopefully someone was sticking around with TX and now made top boat, and if not I still think, 55-88 will pay.

Now suddenly MP+1, who had been playing completely passively the whole hand, wakes up with a min-raise, and this is somewhat concerning. I am still not folding though, since you are getting 6,5/1, so you only need to be good around 15% of the time. I dont think, this is ever a bluff, but I do think, some players might overvalue TX enough to actually raise it, especially given the flop and turn action. So for me this is a sigh call, and if he happen to have the case 4, or if he over-setted me with TT, that he played in this passive way, then good for him.

Pretty much ditto on this although I disagree slightly about pre flop in SOME instances. I believe in this sized tourney raising to isolate is best as you should have a better chance of getting heads up. If this were a $1 or $2 tourney I think the odds are much higher that you get multiple callers and then have to play 99 out of position for a pot, that with two callers, would have a SPR around 1.5. I lean towards most times to just set mine here unless I really believe there are folders at the table.

I do like your turn thinking a lot though as a lot of people playing all buy in levels have a hard time folding a boat so raising the turn can get some serious value from those smaller pairs and we should believe that 1010+ pairs are rare here given the pre flop action.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
i like the way you play it here just because it's 50/50, playing the same way as you did

B

Boo02

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop

My idea was to bet the Turn. But when third 4 showed up, I changed my plan. I was little confused to be honest :D

I like the advice about building the pot. But after i just call from SB i can hold anything. The 4 was more probable in my and BB's hand. That's why i Just call i dont want to scare higher cards which can hit a full house at the Turn or River.

Do you guys call me here with small pairs or connectors like QTs after my check-raise at the floop?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My idea was to bet the Turn. But when third 4 showed up, I changed my plan. I was little confused to be honest :D

That makes sense. On any other card especially a high card leading out on the turn could make a lot of sense. It can look bluffy, and if someone else hit that card, for sure you get action. But the 4 is just really awkward, not only because you now lose to the case 4, but also because nothing else improved on it.

Do you guys call me here with small pairs or connectors like QTs after my check-raise at the floop?

I dont but I also dont limp into the pot preflop. So its more about figuring out, what these goofballs might do, than what you would do yourself. And then again if they have nothing, how much action are you realistically getting later, unless they hit? It is an akward spot though, because you essentially have the nuts, and its so difficult for anyone else to have anything but air. Even limping ranges dont contain that many 4X combos and even less so, when we see two of them on the board.