$10 NLHE MTT: Flop jam while holding Q10s FD

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop - should probably just fold as you are not really getting the right odds to call.

Flop - check-raise was unnecessary as villain pre-flop range means you are almost certainly behind and you only have a 36% chance of making your flush by the river. When villain then goes all in you have to know you are well behind and there is a reasonable chance that even the 3rd heart may not be good for you. The price is just about right to call but do you need to be risking your tournament life in this spot.

Think hero overplayed this hand all the way.

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I think so too.

Thanks for the honest response.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop: calling is barely ok, provided you have good post flop skills and don't overplay your hand. Novice players would be advised to fold this hand to an early position iso-raise.

Flop: I'm check calling here. you only want to check/raise in a spot like this if the stacks are such that you can check raise jam; thereby putting VILLAIN to the tough decision. I would check with the intention of check raise jamming any turn where I improve. The problem with check raising is exactly what happened....you're put to a tough decision when he jams on you. His jam will generally indicate that he can beat top pair (usually sets) and so you're down to a bare flush draw. with those pot odds and a bare flush draw; you should probably find a fold. Especially because you're in good chip position at your table. no need to jeapordize it all in 1 hand with 1 (non nut) flush draw.

Turn: Had you check/called the flop you both will probably be getting it in on the turn since he actually does have a set and the hand will play out the same....but there is a tiny chance he might fold the turn....but that's not really the point. The point is that vs. his entire range you'll do better this way.