$10 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Interesting hand middle stages check 3 bet then 4 bet

E

emccards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ull Tilt Poker Super Stack $15K Guarantee No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t50/t100 Blinds -

CO: t10261 102.61 BBs
BTN: t8855 88.55 BBs
Hero (SB): t8770 87.70 BBs
BB: t9055 90.55 BBs
UTG: t5900 59 BBs
UTG+1: t4123 41.23 BBs
UTG+2: t7950 79.50 BBs
MP1: t5369 53.69 BBs
MP2: t6832 68.32 BBs

Pre Flop: (t150) Hero is SB with A :heart: Q :heart:
3 folds, ]MP1 raises to t300,BTN calls t300, Hero calls t250, BB calls t200

Flop: (t1200) 5 :club: 6 :club: A :diamond: (4 players)

Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 bets t600, BTN folds, Hero raises to t1700, BB raises to t2800, MP1 folds,....I

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Run for the hills, if the other guy in the bb was also waiting to check raise and still wanted to after you did...his hand is a monster hehe

T

titan72offsuit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New to the poker world so forgive my ignorance and educate me - but wouldn't a flat be possible here? If the math in my head is right we are getting 6:1 on our money with top pair. Very possible the BB could have a set of 5's or 6's. Don't think he has a set of A's - wouldn't he have 4 bet that pre to narrow down the field before the flop?

So I guess the next question is what happens on the turn if we do flat - if we miss I guess we c/f?

Last edited:
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why are you completing from the SB here? Just to flush-mine? We're going to be OOP to at least 2 other players and maybe 3. Any reads at all that MP1's range includes broadway & connectors and that the BTN just loves to play his position and I'm raising here. If I don't have any of these reads than I'm probably folding this pre-flop. Unless you hit the flop hard you are never really going to know where you stand and AQs makes a 2nd best hand a lot more than it makes the best hand.

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you completing from the SB here? Just to flush-mine?

The odds of hitting two pair or better are roughly 21:1...so in theory break even odds mean we're going to need to win 21-22 times, on average, what we call to absolutely break even when we hit. Throw in some edge for us and lets call it 25x what we call in a mtt situation. It is going to cost us 250 so we need to try and win around 6.25k every time we hit. The pot was already 1k, and nearly everyone still involved in the hand had enough chips to give us the money we need just on their own. Mix into that the fact that there are very likely to be 3 players in the pot who can all contribute some money...and then realize that 250 chips is not going to detract from anything we are allowed to do with our gigantic stack (we won't even miss the chips)...along with the knowledge that AQs is very likely to find flops where your opponents are going to want to contribute some chips to your cause...now we've got a pretty awesomely +ev situation.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...along with the knowledge that AQs is very likely to find flops where your opponents are going to want to contribute some chips to your cause...now we've got a pretty awesomely +ev situation.

A lot of if's and I'd like to hear what kind of flops (other than a flush or 4-flush for us) are going to get enough action to build a 6K+ pot. Ace-rag flops we have to worry that the BTN or BB hit 2P and that MP1 & BTN have AK, Any flop with middle cards we have to worry about ST8s & sets. Even if we hit 2P we have to worry about betting 1st since we can't let a free card come on the turn or river.

Let's take the OP's flop and change the :6c4: to the :qc4: and leave the flop action the same. Does it change our decision to fold to the BB raise of our c/r??

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we flop AQx we are going to lead out instead of checkraise. It will change the entire dynamic of the pot and we will get different reads from the players involved in the hand.

*edit*

Betting out here is an attempt to build the pot while helping to disguise our hand. Bets are usually interpreted as donk bets, and people do not respect them nearly as much as check/raises. Also, if we bet, we control the sizing of the pot and induce players to raise us with, potentially, lesser hands.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's our 3-bet range from the SB here? AA-99, AKs?

What's our completion range here? 88-22,AKo, AQs-ATs, suited connectors Kq-65 ?

This is one of my weakest spots.

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-bet with hands that are stable on flops against multiple opponents...basically just AA/KK. Basically everything else that you want to play should be treated like a draw.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands