No Limit
Table Format
STT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
Hand is from a 10$ 9-man turbo SnG on pokerstars. The opponent was playing VPIP 56 / PFR 13 over 16 hands. Do you fold, call or raise, when he donk the river? How about the earlier streets?

PokerStars, $9.20 + $0.80 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 6 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG: 2,248 (45 bb)
MP: 3,856 (77 bb)
CO: 1,728 (35 bb)
BU (Hero): 1,378 (28 bb)
SB: 3,358 (67 bb)
BB: 932 (19 bb)

Pre-Flop: (111) Hero is BTN with T♦ A♥
UTG raises to 100, 2 players fold, Hero calls 100, 2 players fold

Flop: (311) 5♥ A♠ T♣ (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets 124, UTG calls 124

Turn: (559) K♠ (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets 335, UTG calls 335

River: (1,229) 2♣ (2 players)
UTG bets 550, Hero?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All earlier streets I like how you played it. Flop sizing is right where you want to be although I am sure in game I would be making a mistake here and going about 150. I think a smaller sizing like 124 is much better. Turn bet sizing I also like and again I would probably mess it up in game and go smaller like 260 ish which still accomplishes an under pot river shove but your sizing is better since we cant bank on getting called 3 streets but with the second spade coming there are now more hands we beat that will call a larger sizing.

On the river I'm not folding. I think there are times here when we could see villain flip over a set or even QJ but I am not worried about it anywhere near enough to put in about 40% of our stack to start the hand so far, have 2 pair and then fold on river with no flushes on board. Since we only have about 800 going to the river and villain puts in 550 I just put the rest in over them. They are priced in so its not a bet that wont get called by worse. And again, if they have something that beats us then they just do. Villain playing 56% of hands has to have Ax or spades that missed that are bluffing (or with the Ax in their mind value betting) this river enough of the time that we are getting it in here. If we deeper then I like just calling but having not much over their lead bet I like just getting it in.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the feedback. I did just call the river, and I agree, that this is a mistake. They are getting, what Bart Hansson call "reverse pot odds" with so little left behind. Not sure they would have called with this hand though, or what their thought process was on the river in the first place :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, they probably dont call but with us having so little over their bet we just dont worry about that and go with our hand. As far as their thinking, it probably is along the lines of "I have to lead this river to win this hand" which is fine at times but this is not the correct time which I am sure you already know but just writing for anyone who happens to look at this thread. This play when the river is any spade, Q, or J is not a bad play and will get some folds from hands that beat 66. Here though, what hand is going to double barrel and then fold on river that 66 isnt already beating? I would think none so it is a decent bluff executed at a terrible time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, they probably dont call but with us having so little over their bet we just dont worry about that and go with our hand. As far as their thinking, it probably is along the lines of "I have to lead this river to win this hand" which is fine at times but this is not the correct time which I am sure you already know but just writing for anyone who happens to look at this thread. This play when the river is any spade, Q, or J is not a bad play and will get some folds from hands that beat 66. Here though, what hand is going to double barrel and then fold on river that 66 isnt already beating? I would think none so it is a decent bluff executed at a terrible time.
Its the wrong hand to bluff with also. Even though he was the preflop raiser, he just need to give up with a small pair on this kind of board, and especially when he is out of position. Maybe he could have fired a flop C-bet to try to take it down, but his hand is not good enough to check-call even a single bet and much less two. This hand went horribly wrong for the Villain, and I also think, its a spot, many people get wrong in general. Even if we were the preflop aggressor, we cant always win the pot, and when we are out of position, we often need to play in a more defensive way.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand is from a 10$ 9-man turbo SnG on PokerStars. The opponent was playing VPIP 56 / PFR 13 over 16 hands. Do you fold, call or raise, when he donk the river? How about the earlier streets?

PokerStars, $9.20 + $0.80 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 6 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG: 2,248 (45 bb)
MP: 3,856 (77 bb)
CO: 1,728 (35 bb)
BU (Hero): 1,378 (28 bb)
SB: 3,358 (67 bb)
BB: 932 (19 bb)

Pre-Flop: (111) Hero is BTN with T♦ A♥
UTG raises to 100, 2 players fold, Hero calls 100, 2 players fold

Flop: (311) 5♥ A♠ T♣ (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets 124, UTG calls 124

Turn: (559) K♠ (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets 335, UTG calls 335

River: (1,229) 2♣ (2 players)
UTG bets 550, Hero?
The numbers suggest this V is passive with most of their range but can have 22 and QJ KK and with players this weak I have to think chip and a chair has value so no all-in. We bet like we had Ax why would this V think we would fold river? I would call expecting to see 2 pair or better but maybe AQ

Read other posts- we really only have 1- 2 pair target for the value shove as the V's PFR numbers are too low for K5s K2s and this type of V blasts turn with A5 on that scary K turn- Bart gives great cash game advice- there is an old saying if the game is good never leave-so again call and stay in the game if the V has better-

Last edited: