Pre-Flop:
(170) Hero is BB with A 5
UTG raises to 160, 3 players fold, Hero calls 80

Flop:
(410) 7 A A (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets 125, Hero calls 125

Turn:
(660) T (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets 240, Hero raises to 1,380, UTG raises to 4,985 (all-in), Hero calls 572 (all-in)

I think the BB defend is ok though I'm aware its not the best Ace.

Flop I think is standard check call? I could raise but was hoping for a turn bet from V.

Turn I considered check call again but thought it was too passive. Theres a few draws that maybe would call so I re-raise. Villain re-raised again and I felt I was beat by a better Ace but is my hand too good to fold at this stage of the SNG? How would you play it?

Cheers

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: I dont like defending from the BB with small aces since if an ace flops I am in no mans land so to speak because I could be outkicked with opponents holdings most popularly being Ax. However, in this case where we are a little shorter stacked and it is only a min open I would in game defend here and believe it is the correct play.

Flop: Clearly a check to us the first time action on us and then from there it is villian dependent in my opinion at least somewhat but mostly I would just be calling behind here. They do get to see a relatively free turn if they have a flush draw but the flush draw on the board already includes the ace so that cuts down on their possibility of a flush draw a little so I would call here and hope villain continues betting.

Turn: This spot is interesting since I would be thinking that if villain has an ace that they would want to be playing for stacks here and betting this small on the turn would create a massive overbet on the river so I discount they would have an ace (at this point in the hand through this action) so I think we can actually go either way here by either calling this and then donk leading river (especially when spades miss since we can rep that we were on a missed draw and be bluffing, although not sure this board is the best for bluffing) or just check raise turn here. The problem I see check raise turn is that what worse is going to call us? 10x shouldnt be nor 7x or even QQ hands so when we check raise here we always have Ax and villain knows it. I dont like the sizing you use to check raise here since it is 70% ish of your stack and if villain is going to call 1380 there then they would also call an all in of 1952. We cant go so small, like 720, that villain would have the correct odds for a flush draw so it seems like 960 would be the smallest I would go but that is half your stack. Therefore, if you are going to check raise here it should be a jam based on the amount the raise would be of your remaining stack if you were not to jam.

As played when we get re raised we are beat almost almost always but you have almost all your chips in already so I think you are way past committed in this hand and just have to click the call button.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, $9.10 + $0.90 - Hold'em No Limit - 40/80 (10 ante) - 5 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: 5,280 (66 bb)
CO: 2,911 (36 bb)
BU: 837 (10 bb)
SB: 2,225 (28 bb)
BB (Hero): 2,247 (28 bb)

Pre-Flop:

Flop:
(410) 7 A A (2 players)

Turn:
(660) T (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets 240, Hero raises to 1,380, UTG raises to 4,985 (all-in), Hero calls 572 (all-in)

Flop I think is standard check call? I could raise but was hoping for a turn bet from V.

Turn I considered check call again but thought it was too passive. Theres a few draws that maybe would call so I re-raise. Villain re-raised again and I felt I was beat by a better Ace but is my hand too good to fold at this stage of the SNG? How would you play it?

Cheers
oooh

this decision is based on your opponent type
GTO plays like this with almost all of its hands

NUMBER UNO'
you flatted the BB
you dont have AK AQ AJ AA KK QQ I Promise
and he may know that and incorporate it into his strategy from that point on

and if it is this kind of opponent type that makes reads then he can abuse yyour A5 ..knowing you have A5

So if he had AK on a AA710 and got reraised... would he shove here yes
If he had any spade draw would GTO shove here YES
If he was a bluffer is this a good spot to bluff YES
do amateurs load off with a pair of tens here...noooo
do amateurs make this bluff ...nooooo
do amateurs do this with a6+ YES
and never forget how sticky people can be with Kings or smthn llol

Oh and Hi SitingMAn!
MY Names in the top left
Welcome to Cardschat

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard defend.

Flop
Great flop for you obviously. But even though you flopped trips, your hand is mostly a bluff catcher. Yes its great, there are two aces on the board rather than one, because it makes it less likely, he has one. And it also mean, there are no flopped two pair and less sets, he can have. But even so in order to raise for value, you still need to get called by worse. And the issue here is, that unless he has you beat, his hand is pretty weak and likely not interested in playing for all this chips. If for instance he has JJ-KK, and you start piling chips in, he is probably just going to fold. And this is why, the best play here is to just call, just like you did.

Turn
This card changes nothing other than the fact, TT just got there, and he might have picked up some gutshot draw or a second pair. But the situation is still the same, as it was on the flop. When you make this large check-raise, you pretty much force him to always have a better hand, when he give you action. The fact, you were not happy, when he jammed on you, kind of tells it all. You already had 75% of your chips in the middle, so there is no difference between him calling or jamming. Which mean, you were only happy, if he folded. And this is a major sign, you did something wrong, because your hand was way to strong to turn it into a bluff. Instead you should have just called again and then also check-called across most rivers.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, $9.10 + $0.90 - Hold'em No Limit - 40/80 (10 ante) - 5 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: 5,280 (66 bb)
CO: 2,911 (36 bb)
BU: 837 (10 bb)
SB: 2,225 (28 bb)
BB (Hero): 2,247 (28 bb)

Pre-Flop:

Flop:
(410) 7 A A (2 players)

Turn:
(660) T (2 players)

Cheers
As played your turn raise leaving you 572 creates a pot of 3420 when called- it is an all-in sizing as we are getting 7-1 to call a shove so we always call
Therefore you can shove all-in or change your raise size based on your SPR of 2.16 on turn.

The Ten does not complete any draws on turn so any XR by us is going to be viewed as very strong---so we can use a smaller sizing
Having a set of AAA the V is just not going to be betting turn with mid strength hands that can call a shove so we capture value from more of their range with smaller sizing and draws could already be dead so V chasing a wide range of draws is a big mistake by them

An optional way to play the hand is to lead the turn instead of XR as a lead stops a check back and also clarifies our V range if they decide to raise us on turn

:unsure::geek:

S

sitingman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all your reviews. I agree with them all, I should have check called the turn but I was struggling with playing so passively, especially due to not getting any other hands in the game.

I didn't consider the turn lead. Would this be a standard line in this situation? I never really donk lead turns, but guess I could have found out where I was without risking my entire stack so maybe a good play.